JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
SSJup81 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to SSJup81 Send a message via AIM to SSJup81 Send a message via MSN to SSJup81 Send a message via Yahoo to SSJup81 Send a message via Skype™ to SSJup81
08-13-2009, 08:20 AM

samurai007: New York rats are scarier. lol That aside, that was nice of you to help your neighbor out like that. I couldn't imagine someone actually doing that here...then again, I doubt we'd rush off and get someone to help either. It was just a coincidence that the neighbor ran into you, right?
Nyororin: Thank you for that image! I don't like lizards either! That's why I don't care much for Florida. Nice place to visit, but hate to see the lizards there, unless they're outside!! lol

To be honest, I don't mind anything, just as long as they're not in the house or seen in the house. Creepy crawly things just...creep me out. Oh yes, if I do get married, that's one requirement my husband must have!! He must be able to deal with insects and spiders and lizards if they so happen to show up. lol

As for the Daddy Long Legs thing...even if it's technically not a spider, it still looks like one and still scares me! I really wish I'd never become scared of spiders. Before the age of nine, I wasn't scared of pretty much anything insect wise (like I grew a fear of bees after purposely provoking one and getting stung lol I was about six then, but I just became more cautious of them...not truly scared). Had a horrible nightmare involving them after a trip from the Math and Science Center where they had huge spiders on display (one being yellow and as big as a damn dinner plate!!) and that night, had nightmares about it and they were so constant, the dreams, I just developed a fear of 'em.

Last edited by SSJup81 : 08-13-2009 at 08:22 AM.
(#12 (permalink))
Old
Ponpon (Offline)
JF Regular

08-13-2009, 10:08 AM

Oh we had a massive amount of daddy long legs in our old apartment =| it was horrid, and they always choose corners to crawl up in? luckily now not anymore but with the garden we have in this house we got all those big fat black domestic spiders :|
It's probably coz of my mom, someone once told me that children who see their parents get really freaked out about something they can take over that behaviour of fear =p and my mom used to petrify when she saw spiders

Whats weird is that I am much less scared of tarantula type spiders?! probably coz they look more like furry animals? if I had to choose what kind of spider to hold i'd go for those =p it's the boney, evil man-eating looking creeps I'm afraid of

Lizards I am not afraid of AT ALLLL =D I even worked at a local snake/lizard/amphibean (<- spelling? :P) museum where I had to deal with huge iguana's and really big snakes and stuff, i loved it and gecko's and such are reallly cute

There's this guy in our zoo who helps people with their spider phobia's so I might try that one day.. problem is that you have to look at them and touch them =| why can't I just hit it with a long stick? it wouldn't help but hey one less spider !
(#13 (permalink))
Old
Deviruu (Offline)
オワタ!

08-13-2009, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyororin View Post
Daddy long legs are not spiders. They just look like them.
They have no fangs and no silk glands - and no way to hurt you. They`re also omnivorous and will eat plant material just as readily as insects.

I don`t like bugs in general, but for some reason like those guys. They really are totally harmless, and kind of cute (to me) with that tiny little body and long awkward legs.

I have yet to see a single one of them in Japan - but supposedly there are types of them living here.

I have seen some pretty scary spiders though - and I`m not really afraid of them unless they`re freaking huge. I even LIKE the ones with webs outside our place - cuts down the number of bugs that get in. But if it`s the size of my hand, I`m pretty likely to scream.

As for the little lizards, I love them. They are incredibly cute. They`re actually a type of gecko, and are also totally harmless. The in-laws have tons of them inside during the fall and winter (they don`t like the cold), and I`ve even had one fall on me from the ceiling.
I usually catch them (with my bare hands) and put them outside. Their jaws are small and weak, so even though they often try to bite me in defense, it`s like a very weak pinch with zero pain involved.
Well, I certainly learned something today.

Brave, lady! I've tried that whole "name it, have it be your pet, be friends" smidge. My little Dorothy ran away.

Then having to see three corner my bed ( which rests against a corner in itself) got me scared of those little buggers all over again.

Oh, lizards... reminds me of when I was little, lifting up logs to find little salamanders skitter away. Childhood.

- - - - -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponpon View Post
It's probably coz of my mom, someone once told me that children who see their parents get really freaked out about something they can take over that behaviour of fear =p and my mom used to petrify when she saw spiders
Heh~ I think my mom got me scared of spiders, too.

I'll hear that word of wisdom ring "They're more scared of you, than you are of them". Bull.
They're not the ones running away. I am. They're the ones creeping down from the ceiling in front of my face.
(#14 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
08-13-2009, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deviruu View Post
Well, I certainly learned something today.

Brave, lady! I've tried that whole "name it, have it be your pet, be friends" smidge. My little Dorothy ran away.

Then having to see three corner my bed ( which rests against a corner in itself) got me scared of those little buggers all over again.

Oh, lizards... reminds me of when I was little, lifting up logs to find little salamanders skitter away. Childhood.
I`m certainly not naming them and keeping them as pets... But they`re still cute. I don`t hurt them, they don`t hurt me, and I just do my best to keep them out of harms way. I do not like them in the house, so I put them outside. But there is no terror or horror involved. They just don`t belong inside.

The geckos are incredibly cute though. Seriously. Plus they provide the greatest ever way to explain away bumps and scurrying sounds in the night. It`s not a spider the size of my face - it`s just a cute little gecko I hear!

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#15 (permalink))
Old
Sangetsu (Offline)

08-15-2009, 01:30 AM

There are spiders everywhere in Japan, and I do mean "everywhere". They are especially large and common in the late-summer, early-autumn months. When hiking in the hills (or even walking through parks) I carry a stick which I used to wave up and down in front of me so I don't get webs (or spiders) on my face.

There are few poisonous spiders in Japan, and your odds of getting bitten by any kind of spider are smaller than winning the powerball lottery.

One of the few positive things about winter in Japan is that there are no spiders (or insects) to bother you. Personally, I dislike the mosquitoes here far more than I dislike the spiders.
(#16 (permalink))
Old
Googlyguy (Offline)
New to JF

08-23-2009, 04:41 AM

This brings back the memories of when I was a kid, and there was a spider in the bathrub. I used to scream and yell and run for my mom, and she would just walk in there, pick it up and throw it out XD Nowadays, to me, they're just kinda there. I dont like touching them but I honestly dont even notice them, Much less care. Though occasionally I do see those cute ones sitting, waiting in the middle of their webs and I can't help but stop and watch em for a few minutes I remember once I saw a.. Ugh, what are those things called :P Those small black ones with the red hourglass on their abdomens, I didnt really even think anything, though I dont even know if I had realized that it could kill me from a little bite XD I was young, so dont blame me :P

"I am unique. Just like everyone else."
(#17 (permalink))
Old
SSJup81 (Offline)

Send a message via ICQ to SSJup81 Send a message via AIM to SSJup81 Send a message via MSN to SSJup81 Send a message via Yahoo to SSJup81 Send a message via Skype™ to SSJup81
08-23-2009, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Googlyguy View Post
This brings back the memories of when I was a kid, and there was a spider in the bathrub. I used to scream and yell and run for my mom, and she would just walk in there, pick it up and throw it out XD Nowadays, to me, they're just kinda there. I dont like touching them but I honestly dont even notice them, Much less care. Though occasionally I do see those cute ones sitting, waiting in the middle of their webs and I can't help but stop and watch em for a few minutes I remember once I saw a.. Ugh, what are those things called :P Those small black ones with the red hourglass on their abdomens, I didnt really even think anything, though I dont even know if I had realized that it could kill me from a little bite XD I was young, so dont blame me :P
They're called Black Widows. If I saw one, I'd go out to the car! I'm not sitting around something that could possibly kill me.
(#18 (permalink))
Old
samurai007 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-23-2009, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSJup81 View Post
samurai007: New York rats are scarier. lol That aside, that was nice of you to help your neighbor out like that. I couldn't imagine someone actually doing that here...then again, I doubt we'd rush off and get someone to help either. It was just a coincidence that the neighbor ran into you, right?
Nope, no coincidence. It was a girl from New Zealand, one of the other ALTs in my town. There were 3 of us living in the same apartment complex... me, her, and a guy from Texas named Luke. We'd get together for movies, pot-luck dinners, etc. And when she found critters in her apartment, she'd run over to my apartment, pound on my door, and ask me to get rid of it for her, LOL. And with the metal doors commonly found on apartments in Japan, you could certainly hear the frantic knocking!

JET Program, 1996-98, Wakayama-ken, Hashimoto-shi

Link to pictures from my time in Japan
(#19 (permalink))
Old
sakurasake41 (Offline)
New to JF

08-31-2009, 10:39 PM

If it makes you feel better, I'm terrified of spiders and cockroaches and bugs of any kind (as in, I will spray them to death from afar and then put a towel over them and make someone else pick them up), so I had this mental image of me in my dorm room with little towels covering the floor where I killed bugs but was too afraid to pick them up. xD

Though I'm going to live in Tokyo, so I don't know if that makes it better or worse...