View Single Post
(#481 (permalink))
Old
YuriTokoro (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

11-13-2009, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koir View Post
Sounds like quite a challenging person to understand, Yuri. Your post is also interesting in how it shows there are misunderstandings even with people supposedly speaking the same language. I have the same problems trying to understand British television programs. They are speaking English of course, but the cadence and speed along with possible slang terms makes it all but impossible for me to understand and enjoy the program.
Hi. Koir, thanks as always.
Do Canadian TV stations broadcast British TV programs? Or, you watch them on the internet?

Quote:
As for the post itself, the majority of revisions had to do with changing or inserting prepositions to clarify what concepts are being explained in a sentence. Some revisions were changes in wording, the most notable being "diffidence" changed to "with some hesitation". I made this revision with the understanding that "diffidence" can mean performing some actions (in this case asking the woman a question) when you are not sure the action is correct in the first place. "With some hesitation" was used in its place in an effort to retain the same basic meaning with simpler wording.

Good work, Yuri!
English prepositions and articles are difficult to me. I may make mistakes in the future.
Could you kindly continue to help me?

I didn’t know “with some hesitation”. Japanese-English dictionary tend to say with “not simple wording”. “With some hesitation” must be much useful than “diffidence”. Thanks!

Quote:
I was in a crisis! “Itai” means “have a pain”, but I didn’t know what “e” was. I thought it must have been a part of a human body I didn't know about.
“I should have studied harder!” I regretted my misunderstanding because I had earlier mistook “nose bleeding” for “a small amount of bleeding” during a phone call from a paramedic.
I’m not sure “I regretted my misunderstanding” is what I want to say.
‘ “I should have studied harder!” in my mind I regretted that I neglected my studies because I had made a mistake just before that.’ Do you understand what I want to say?
I didn’t think it was my misunderstanding at the moment. I think I didn’t know “e” because I neglected my studies.
Can “misunderstanding” mean “darkness”?

Quote:
Afterwards, I found ot the senior nurse was famous for her dialect. Many people had problems understanding what she would say. This made me wonder how possible it was that she was unaware of her dialect and how it confused people,
“Ot” must be some other word, but I don’t know what it should be.

Thank you!

Hello, I may not understand English very well and I may lack words but I will try to understand you.

If you have questions about my post or Japanese customs, don't hesitate to ask.

I YamaP