LinkBack Thread Tools
(#471 (permalink))
Old
YuriTokoro (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

10-31-2009, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougLewis View Post
You are more than welcome to use any of the things I post. The answers reflect the quality of the questions - which are always extremely good.
Doug. Thank you very much!

Quote:
As Columbine pointed out, to comprehend the question means that the question is understood. It does not mean that the listener has the answer to it.

Generally comprehension refers to understanding the "meaning" of something fully. I will give an example.

Sometimes examples do not help very much. I hope this helps a little though.
“To comprehend the question” means that the question is understood fully, but doesn’t mean the person knows the answer to the question. OK.
People say “This is your last chance” to thread. When the listener understands the words he was told and doesn’t fully know what would happen, the person doesn’t comprehend the full significance or implication of the words.
Thank you again!

Hello, I may not understand English very well and I may lack words but I will try to understand you.

If you have questions about my post or Japanese customs, don't hesitate to ask.

I YamaP
(#472 (permalink))
Old
YuriTokoro (Offline)

10-31-2009, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbine View Post
Oh yes, Thanks Doug, that's something I forgot to add. "To comprehend" a question is more than just to understand what is being asked. As Doug's example shows, it's to fully understand not only what is being asked, but why you're being asked, the significance of the question and what it means overall. Here's another example:

So, because I understand what i'm being asked, why I'M being asked it, the reason for the question, the importance of what I answer, and what will happen when I answer, I comprehend the question. This is where the other meaning of 'comprehend' as 'all included' ties in- all my understandings are included to make a comprehension.
Columbine, hi.
Thank you for the masterpiece!
I will never forget the great story (and the meaning of “comprehend”).
To comprehend means to know why you are asking about the blue bag, not the red bag.

Hello, I may not understand English very well and I may lack words but I will try to understand you.

I YamaP
(#473 (permalink))
Old
YuriTokoro (Offline)

10-31-2009, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koir View Post
Now, after a week or so of no computer, I can reply properly...
I’m glad to have you back!

Quote:
My revision would be:

"necromancers and strange monsters have come out of nowhere, each vying for control of the entire world. They frequently battle each other while doing this, making a ruckus in the process."
Yes,yes! “Vying for control of the entire world” is what they are doing. And they are making a ruckus in the process.
There are a lot of English expressions I need to know. Thanks for helping, as always.

Quote:
There may not be an end to the story, or an ending that may not satisfy everyone who has taken over writing it or the people reading it.
You are right.
I wish I could write the story by myself.

Quote:
As the book was made to provide backstory for the computer game, it may not be published in Japan. However, if the game is released in Japan in the future, the book would also be translated.

The author is David Gaider, who is the lead writer of the game as well as the "Baldur's Gate" computer game series. If more games are made, he'll be the writer and sequels will be published that way.
Is the story good? Did you have fun reading that book?

Quote:
Hope that helps, Yuri. Apologies for my absence
You shouldn’t apologies. I always appreciate you help me.
I’d like to start my own webpage. May I quote many of your answers in my website?
I think almost the half of the site will be what you have written. Is this OK with you?

I YamaP
(#474 (permalink))
Old
Koir (Offline)
Meow.

11-01-2009, 04:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YuriTokoro View Post
You shouldn’t apologies. I always appreciate you help me.
I’d like to start my own webpage. May I quote many of your answers in my website?
I think almost the half of the site will be what you have written. Is this OK with you?
That's fine with me, Yuri, as long as you indicate what parts belong to whom (you or me). It will help readers see patterns in composition better that way.

Also, it's *your* site after all. You're entitled to put more of your thoughts and opinions on it as you see fit.

All the best with the new site!

Fortunately, there is one woman in this world who can control me.

Unfortunately for you, she is not here.

"Ride for ruin, and the world ended!"
(#475 (permalink))
Old
YuriTokoro (Offline)

11-01-2009, 12:55 PM

Quote:
That's fine with me, Yuri, as long as you indicate what parts belong to whom (you or me). It will help readers see patterns in composition better that way.

Also, it's *your* site after all. You're entitled to put more of your thoughts and opinions on it as you see fit.

All the best with the new site!
Thanks, Koir.
I'm making my new web site now. I seem to need a lot of time.
(I'm not good at operating computer.)
I will tell you when I finsh.

I YamaP
(#476 (permalink))
Old
YuriTokoro (Offline)

11-05-2009, 01:03 AM

Hi.
Could you correct my English?

"Music : TAKE Heart~Tobitate heiwano hatoyo~ by Yukio Hatoyama"

Yukio Hatoyama is Prime Minister of Japan. He recorded this song in 1988, and released last month. The lyrics is like this; “Take heart. Let’s live together looking forward a better tomorrow, pursuing liberty and peace.”
He often says about spirit of “yuuai”. My English-Japanese dictionary says that “yuuai” means “fraternity”, and an online English-English dictionary says that “fraternairy” means :

1 : a group of people associated or formally organized for a common purpose, interest, or pleasure
2 : the quality or state of being brothers
3 : persons of the same class, profession, character, or tastes

However, the Japanese word “yuuai” doesn’t mean such a group, a quality or persons. The word rather means “friendship and love”. I believe when Mr. Hatoyama says “yuuai”, it also means “Everybody lives at peace”.
His name “Hatoyama” means “pigeon mountain (hato means pigeon, yama means mountain), and a while pigeon is the symbol of peace. So I think his deeper feelings have been feeling he should pursue the world peace having the letter of symbol of peace in his name.

Thank you.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Take Heart.jpg (47.4 KB, 56 views)

I YamaP
(#477 (permalink))
Old
Koir (Offline)
Meow.

11-05-2009, 03:12 AM

Quote:
Hi.

"Music : TAKE Heart~Tobitate heiwano hatoyo~ by Yukio Hatoyama"

Yukio Hatoyama is the Prime Minister of Japan. He recorded this song in 1988, and released it last month. The lyrics are as follows; “Take heart. Let’s live together looking forward a better tomorrow, pursuing liberty and peace.”
He often speaks about the spirit of “yuuai”. My English-Japanese dictionary says that “yuuai” means “fraternity”, and an online English dictionary says that “fraternity” has the following meanings:

1 : a group of people associated or formally organized for a common purpose, interest, or pleasure
2 : the quality or state of being brothers
3 : persons of the same class, profession, character, or tastes

However, the Japanese word “yuuai” doesn’t mean such a group, quality or people. Instead, the word means “friendship and love”. I believe when Mr. Hatoyama says “yuuai”, it also means “Everybody lives at peace”.
His name “Hatoyama” means “pigeon mountain" (hato means pigeon, yama means mountain), and a white pigeon is the symbol of peace. So I think his deeper feeling is that he should pursue world peace, as his name contains the symbol for peace.

Thank you.
A Prime Minister releasing a music single. Well, we have a Prime Minister that plays the piano and sings Beatles songs, so it's not *too* surprising

Most of the revisions made had to do with adding or changing definite articles. "The" Prime Minister being one of them, as I'm reasonably sure there is only one in Japan at a time.

As for the three meanings for "fraternity", the one that came to mind first was the second one. It could also be referred to as "brotherhood" using that meaning.

I also changed the sentence containing the lyrics of the song to better lead the reader into knowing what they were about to read before they began. The semicolon serves to demonstrate the two combined sentences are related to each other in that they share the same meaning and provide more explanation.

This is in contrast with the listing of the three meanings for "fraternity", as the information following is a list and not simply an explanation of a concept earlier in the compound sentence.

Very good work, Yuri!

(#478 (permalink))
Old
YuriTokoro (Offline)

11-05-2009, 12:12 PM

Quote:
A Prime Minister releasing a music single. Well, we have a Prime Minister that plays the piano and sings Beatles songs, so it's not *too* surprising

Very good work, Yuri!
Koir, thanks for your beautiful revision! As always!

I YamaP
(#479 (permalink))
Old
YuriTokoro (Offline)

11-11-2009, 05:26 AM

Hi.

'She said, “I feel queasy.”'

Years ago, when I was just started working in a pharmaceutical department of a hospital, the senior nurse came into the pharmacy and said, “I feel queasy”.
You would understand to hear that she was suffering from nausea, wouldn’t you?
Well, she said it in Japanese, and the words she said were “mukamuka suru.” That means both “I feel sick to my stomach” and “I feel offended”, so I first thought she had had some conflicts.
I said, “What’s up?” meaning “I’m prepared to listen about your worries.”
She didn’t realize I was having a misunderstanding, and continued saying “I feel queasy.” for several minutes. I waited her confiding in me. Then she said, “E ga itai.”
I was in a crisis! “Itai” means “have a pain”, but I didn’t know what “e” was. I thought it must have been a part of a human body I had never heard.
“I should have studied harder!” I regretted in my mind at the time, because I had just mistook “nose bleeding” for “a small amount of bleeding” on a phone call from a paramedic. (The both words have the same pronunciation in Japanese medical term.)
I said, “Which part?” with diffidence. She repeated “E ga itai” for about 20 minutes.
And then, she started telling she had eaten too much. I finally realized what she was saying.
“You have a pain in your stomach?”
She angrily looked at me. Her eyes seemed to be saying “How many times do I have to say that?”
However, “stomach” is “i”. Not “e”. Never!
She just wanted some stomach medicine.
Just after that, I got to know the senior nurse was famous for her dialect and many people didn’t understand what she said. I was wondering how possible she was unaware of her dialect and if she was inconvenient and frustrating, but I didn’t have guts to ask her.

Thank you!

I YamaP
(#480 (permalink))
Old
Koir (Offline)
Meow.

11-12-2009, 04:46 AM

Quote:
Hi.

'She said, “I feel queasy.”'

Years ago, when I had just started working in the pharmaceutical department of a hospital, the senior nurse came into the pharmacy and said, “I feel queasy”.
Hearing that, you would think that she was suffering from nausea, wouldn’t you?
Well, she said it in Japanese, and the words she used were “mukamuka suru.” That means both “I feel sick to my stomach” and “I feel offended”, so I first thought she had had some sort of conflict.
I said, “What’s up?”which meant “I’m prepared to listen about your worries.”
She didn’t realize I was misunderstanding her, and kept repeating “I feel queasy.” for several minutes. I waited for her to confide in me. Then she said, “E ga itai.”
I was in a crisis! “Itai” means “have a pain”, but I didn’t know what “e” was. I thought it must have been a part of a human body I didn't know about.
“I should have studied harder!” I regretted my misunderstanding because I had earlier mistook “nose bleeding” for “a small amount of bleeding” during a phone call from a paramedic. (Both words have the same pronunciation in Japanese medical terms.)
I said, “Which part?” with some hesitation. She repeated “E ga itai” for about 20 minutes.
And then, she told me that she had eaten too much. I finally realized what she was saying.
“You have a pain in your stomach?”
She angrily looked at me. Her eyes seemed to be saying “How many times do I have to tell you?”
However, “stomach” is “i”. Not “e”. Never!
She just wanted some stomach medicine.
Afterwards, I found ot the senior nurse was famous for her dialect. Many people had problems understanding what she would say. This made me wonder how possible it was that she was unaware of her dialect and how it confused people, but I didn’t have the guts to ask her.

Thank you!
Sounds like quite a challenging person to understand, Yuri. Your post is also interesting in how it shows there are misunderstandings even with people supposedly speaking the same language. I have the same problems trying to understand British television programs. They are speaking English of course, but the cadence and speed along with possible slang terms makes it all but impossible for me to understand and enjoy the program.

As for the post itself, the majority of revisions had to do with changing or inserting prepositions to clarify what concepts are being explained in a sentence. Some revisions were changes in wording, the most notable being "diffidence" changed to "with some hesitation". I made this revision with the understanding that "diffidence" can mean performing some actions (in this case asking the woman a question) when you are not sure the action is correct in the first place. "With some hesitation" was used in its place in an effort to retain the same basic meaning with simpler wording.

Good work, Yuri!

Last edited by Koir : 11-12-2009 at 01:51 PM.