JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#461 (permalink))
Old
alkor (Offline)
New to JF

10-28-2009, 11:23 AM

As long as you're happy with polite but not too formal version it's ok I guess. But change part 'if you don't like it' into 'if you mind it, please let me know'.
I understand it as you want to use smbs anserws at/in(not 'on') your own website and want to know if that person mind it or not, correct?
(#462 (permalink))
Old
Columbine (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

10-28-2009, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YuriTokoro View Post
Hi.
I don’t understand the difference between “apprehend/apprehension” and “comprehend/comprehension”.
My English-Japanese dictionary says that “both apprehension and comprehension mean understanding”, and my English-English dictionary says “If you apprehend something, you understand it”, and “If you can not comprehend something, you cannot understand it.

u!
'Apprehend' and 'Comprehend' are verbs and 'Apprehension' and 'Comprehension' are nouns. As Doug said, whilst almost 'comprehend/comprehension' always means 'to understand', 'apprehend/ apprehension' has several different meanings. It comes from a French word, meaning 'to grasp/grab'. The uses are:
Apprehend/ Apprehension-> 'to capture' / 'the capture' (which Doug has explained)

Apprehension -> to anticipate something with worry or fear. Often used as 'apprehensive' as in "I am apprehensive about this exam" Very rarely "apprehend" is used in this context; we tend to say "I have apprehensions about this exam" or "This exam has made me sick with apprehension".

Apprehend/ Apprehension-> 'I understand/ I have an understanding'
This is an old use, and it's not something you hear much now. However, it is not incorrect. For example, Shakespeare wrote about mankind :"in action how like an angel, in apprehension how like a god!" Here it means "men act like angels and can understand (something) like gods". Other examples would be "I have apprehended the truth!".

The ~difference~ between the two is very slight when they mean 'understand'. Firstly the tone is different; 'apprehend' sounds slightly more archaic. Secondly, think on the meaning "to grasp". When you 'apprehend' something, you have come to quite a sudden understanding. "Aha! Now I apprehend the situation!" 'Comprehend' is more gradual, or you already partly understood it. "Yes, I comprehend the situation."

Just for reference 'Comprehend' can also mean 'to include'. It's another old use of the word, but we sometimes still use it, as in "I have written a comprehensive report". In this context "Comprehensive report" has nothing to do with how easily or how much the report is understood. It's a statement to say that the writer has included absolutely everything they can on the topic they are reporting about.
(#463 (permalink))
Old
DougLewis (Offline)
JF Regular

Send a message via Skype™ to DougLewis
10-28-2009, 04:44 PM

Quote:
One more question!
Is this sentence correct? Do you understand what I mean? Isn’t this rude?
Could you tell me a politer expression?

“May I use your answers in my own webpage? If you don’t like it, let me know it, please.”

Thank you!
I did not see this as rude at all.

Although, since the question is a request and a favor being asked, it is sometimes good to mention "why?".

Perhaps something like this.

"Your answers are very good and I was wondering if you would mind if I use them in my own web site to benefit others. I will give you credit of course. If you prefer that I don't, please let me know, I would certainly understand why, if you prefer I did not."

This is polite and lets the person know you appreciate their work and that your purpose is to share that good work.

(Just a suggestion.)

Oh well!
"There is culture, there is language.
One day, there will be common understanding.
With that, comes empathy and compassion"
~DL
(#464 (permalink))
Old
YuriTokoro (Offline)

10-29-2009, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougLewis View Post
I did not see this as rude at all.

Although, since the question is a request and a favor being asked, it is sometimes good to mention "why?".

Perhaps something like this.

"Your answers are very good and I was wondering if you would mind if I use them in my own web site to benefit others. I will give you credit of course. If you prefer that I don't, please let me know, I would certainly understand why, if you prefer I did not."

This is polite and lets the person know you appreciate their work and that your purpose is to share that good work.

(Just a suggestion.)
Hi, Doug.
Thank you very mugh.
Your answers are very good and I was wondering if you would mind if I use them in my own web site to benefit others. I will give you credit of course. If you prefer that I don't, please let me know, I would certainly understand why, if you prefer I did not.

Quote:
Apprehend - This means to catch or arrest someone. The common use is when the police catch or detain a suspected criminal.
-----
Apprehension - This means a mild form of fear or discomfort felt when a person thinks there may be danger.

A common use would be... She felt apprehension as she realized the man was following her.
-----
"Comprehension"... this means a person understands something.

Common use... I comprehend your questions. It could be said then that I have comprehension of the questions.
-----
When you say “I have comprehension of the questions”, do you mean you understand what the questioner is asking? What’ the difference among them?:
1 I have comprehension of the questions.
2 I comprehend the questions.
3 I understand the questions.

Hello, I may not understand English very well and I may lack words but I will try to understand you.

If you have questions about my post or Japanese customs, don't hesitate to ask.

I YamaP
(#465 (permalink))
Old
YuriTokoro (Offline)

10-29-2009, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbine View Post
'Apprehend' and 'Comprehend' are verbs and 'Apprehension' and 'Comprehension' are nouns. As Doug said, whilst almost 'comprehend/comprehension' always means 'to understand', 'apprehend/ apprehension' has several different meanings. It comes from a French word, meaning 'to grasp/grab'. The uses are:
Apprehend/ Apprehension-> 'to capture' / 'the capture' (which Doug has explained)
Columbine, thank you very much for the cultured and sophisticated answer.
Especially, ”to grasp/grab” is very helpful information.
I was wondering if you would mind if I use you answer in my own web site to benefit others. If you prefer that I don't, please let me know.

Hello, I may not understand English very well and I may lack words but I will try to understand you.

If you have questions about my post or Japanese customs, don't hesitate to ask.

I YamaP
(#466 (permalink))
Old
Columbine (Offline)

10-29-2009, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Columbine, thank you very much for the cultured and sophisticated answer.
Especially, ”to grasp/grab” is very helpful information.
I was wondering if you would mind if I use you answer in my own web site to benefit others. If you prefer that I don't, please let me know.
You're welcome, and you can use that if you want to, I don't mind. These kinds of subtle difference in meaning can be tough even for native speakers so I often look up the origin of the word as it sometimes explains the difference best.

Vis-a-vis your other question: When you say “I have comprehension of the questions”, do you mean you understand what the questioner is asking? What’ the difference among them?:
1 I have comprehension of the questions. O correct, but technically overloaded. "I comprehend the questions," is adequate. "I have comprehension of the questions" is similar to, "I have understanding of what you're saying," instead of "I understand what you're saying."
2 I comprehend the questions. O Correct use.
3 I understand the questions. O also correct.

Note: This only means you understand what the person is asking, not necessarily that you know the answer.

Last edited by Columbine : 10-29-2009 at 02:19 PM.
(#467 (permalink))
Old
DougLewis (Offline)
JF Regular

Send a message via Skype™ to DougLewis
10-30-2009, 01:33 AM

Quote:
Hi, Doug.
Thank you very much.
Your answers are very good and I was wondering if you would mind if I use them in my own web site to benefit others. I will give you credit of course. If you prefer that I don't, please let me know, I would certainly understand why, if you prefer I did not.

When you say “I have comprehension of the questions”, do you mean you understand what the questioner is asking? What’ the difference among them?:
1 I have comprehension of the questions.
2 I comprehend the questions.
3 I understand the questions.
You are more than welcome to use any of the things I post. The answers reflect the quality of the questions - which are always extremely good.

As Columbine pointed out, to comprehend the question means that the question is understood. It does not mean that the listener has the answer to it.

Generally comprehension refers to understanding the "meaning" of something fully. I will give an example.

The man said, "This is your last chance."

Although I think I know what he means, I do not fully comprehend what the significance of the statement is. It is usually said as a threat, that much I do know.

For me to comprehend fully though, I need more explanation.

It could mean many things.

Usually, it means the person it is said to, has reached the end of having chances and that a negative consequence will be given due to failing something.

So, in this case, I understand the statement but do not fully comprehend the consequence (meaning) of it until more information is provided.

Sometimes examples do not help very much. I hope this helps a little though.

Oh well!
"There is culture, there is language.
One day, there will be common understanding.
With that, comes empathy and compassion"
~DL
(#468 (permalink))
Old
Columbine (Offline)

10-30-2009, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougLewis View Post

As Columbine pointed out, to comprehend the question means that the question is understood. It does not mean that the listener has the answer to it.

Generally comprehension refers to understanding the "meaning" of something fully. I will give an example.
Oh yes, Thanks Doug, that's something I forgot to add. "To comprehend" a question is more than just to understand what is being asked. As Doug's example shows, it's to fully understand not only what is being asked, but why you're being asked, the significance of the question and what it means overall. Here's another example:

"Columbine, do you have the blue bag?"
Simple request for a certain bag- yes or no answer. I understand that I'm being asked if I have a blue bag with me.

However, I also know the blue bag has a gun in it. So I understand the significance of the blue bag, instead of a red bag I also have.

I also know that someone was killed using the gun in the blue bag.
So I understand the significance of why someone is looking for it.

I also know I was seen at the time of the murder, so I understand why I am being asked about the blue bag, instead of Mr. Smith.

I am talking to a policeman.
So I understand that my answer has a consequence.

If I say 'yes, i have the bag', I will go to prison. If I say 'no, I only have a red bag', they will arrest Mr. Jones. So I understand what will happen when I answer.

So, because I understand what i'm being asked, why I'M being asked it, the reason for the question, the importance of what I answer, and what will happen when I answer, I comprehend the question. This is where the other meaning of 'comprehend' as 'all included' ties in- all my understandings are included to make a comprehension.

Last edited by Columbine : 10-30-2009 at 11:47 AM.
(#469 (permalink))
Old
Koir (Offline)
Meow.

10-31-2009, 01:38 AM

Now, after a week or so of no computer, I can reply properly...

Quote:
My expression power is too poor… They aren’t gathering power.
Necromancers are fighting each other. They have never cooperated. Monsters seem to be trying to dominate the world too, but nobody knows what their aims. Sometimes, necromancers fight against the monsters in order to disrupt the monsters dominate the world. And of course, right wizards fight against necromancers and monsters.
My translation was:
“necromancers and strange monsters, which came from nowhere, are making ruckus on their own to get power to dominate the whole world,”
I wrote “making ruckus on their own”, and that’s a direct translation. Maybe the author has written like that because the readers know the story and the situation, so the readers would understand what this “ruckus” means.
What should I write for readers who don’t know the situation?
My revision would be:

"necromancers and strange monsters have come out of nowhere, each vying for control of the entire world. They frequently battle each other while doing this, making a ruckus in the process."

Quote:
I think the original author didn’t have planned the story in details. When she started the story, she said she would finish the story at 100th volume. Now, it’s 129th volume, and the story keeps stretching.
There’s no news about who takes over the story. I want to read the ending of the story.
There may not be an end to the story, or an ending that may not satisfy everyone who has taken over writing it or the people reading it.

Quote:
“Dragon Age” doesn’t seem to be published in Japan.
Do you think the author will publish sequels? Is the book bought by many people?
As the book was made to provide backstory for the computer game, it may not be published in Japan. However, if the game is released in Japan in the future, the book would also be translated.

The author is David Gaider, who is the lead writer of the game as well as the "Baldur's Gate" computer game series. If more games are made, he'll be the writer and sequels will be published that way.

Hope that helps, Yuri. Apologies for my absence

Fortunately, there is one woman in this world who can control me.

Unfortunately for you, she is not here.

"Ride for ruin, and the world ended!"
(#470 (permalink))
Old
ushkana (Offline)
New to JF

Wink quote - 10-31-2009, 03:49 AM

Hi.
I think this quote means that if he believes in luck ant if luck is bestowed upon him that he will be happy. but of luck doesn't occur for him, that he may be disappointed.