JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#121 (permalink))
Old
RegPaq (Offline)
JF Regular

10-18-2008, 05:19 AM

I think your underestimating the benefits of advertising. you say 10s to 100s of thousands of prints are sold of a certain manga. How many people do you think just look at it online for free. Imagine getting a revenue for all those other people. Yes we agreed print sales would go down, but the advertising sales would not only cover that loss but also exceed it and the publishers would receive more growth which would equal in more publishers producing manga. It would actually be a good business venture if someone made a site where all the publishers would get together and submit their work in hq scans in different languages where they would receive some of the profit from the advertisements, or do it themselves. This is all I'm saying. Using both print and web form would benefit the business as a whole. I already gave you examples of companies offering free, quality, useable content free by revenue from advertisements.
(#122 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

10-18-2008, 05:28 AM

And I think you overestimate the potential profits and underestimate the potential losses when you make a product that had an inherent value "free".

There was a movie called "Bubble" (I think) that came out a few years ago. It wasn't a big movie, but it was the first release from a joint venture by Mark Cuban and some Hollywood insiders to release movies into the THEATER and on DVD on the same day. The idea was that people wanted a choice to watch in a theater, or rent and watch at home.

Guess how many people went and payed the premium price to watch in a theater.

Almost none.

People rented it at Blockbuster for 4 dollars instead of paying 25 dollars plus gas and popcorn prices to see it away from home.

Guess how movies they have released this way since?

None.

I can see back-catalogs getting an online boost, but if it was a good model to release new print and online at the same time companies would be doing it.

And I am sorry, I don't remember you giving me a list before. Do you remember any of the publishers that are doing what you describe now?
(#123 (permalink))
Old
RegPaq (Offline)
JF Regular

10-18-2008, 05:38 AM

because its free to consumers doesn't mean they are giving it away for free! they are getting money from advertisements!!!!!!
I didn't mean publishers to be specific, but if you want book related, dictionaries is a good example. I mean there are tons of companies that solely work off revenue from advertisements.
(#124 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

10-18-2008, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RegPaq View Post
because its free to consumers doesn't mean they are giving it away for free! they are getting money from advertisements!!!!!!
I didn't mean publishers to be specific, but if you want book related, dictionaries is a good example. I mean there are tons of companies that solely work off revenue from advertisements.
Yes, but those companies target people that have money. EVERYONE uses dictionaries. Not everyone wants to read manga online.

What company is going to say "Hmm...your target audience is 13-year-olds who can't afford to buy their own manga...sure, we'll advertise with you."?

I am just repeating myself now...
(#125 (permalink))
Old
RegPaq (Offline)
JF Regular

10-18-2008, 06:53 AM

ahhh as am I. I dont think we really can agree with anything haha
(#126 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

10-18-2008, 07:00 AM

I understand what you are saying...and maybe someday that will be future, but even in Japan, people prefer to read their manga on paper.
(#127 (permalink))
Old
SSJup81 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to SSJup81 Send a message via AIM to SSJup81 Send a message via MSN to SSJup81 Send a message via Yahoo to SSJup81 Send a message via Skype™ to SSJup81
10-20-2008, 02:08 PM

I prefer reading tangible manga was well. It's just nicer that way, imo. It's sorta how I'd buy a novel or a book I'm interested in before going to the library and checking it out. I'll always have the book and can reread it anytime I want. You don't have the same luxury when it comes to library books because they're borrowed and you have to give them back. At least with owning the book, you can read at your own pace or leisure, especially if you get too busy to read the book.
(#128 (permalink))
Old
yamaokaumar (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via MSN to yamaokaumar
11-03-2008, 04:47 PM

with animes i wouldnt mind buying them if they had original japanese VOs with preciise translation subs. i dont like buying an american published dvd because the subs are wrong half the time and theyve edited the anime for violence. and when they release un-edited versions they charge an obscene amount of money.

its funny how at a drive thru retaraunt people ask where they go to collect their food. i always say to myself. where do you think you go? you drive down the same road you're on straight to me THAT'S WHERE YOU GO.
(#129 (permalink))
Old
SushiSweetie (Offline)
New to JF

03-01-2009, 10:16 AM

Thank you so much for posting this I couldnt agree with you more!! I have found the cheapest way to watch anime is through Netflix, the lowest price now is 8.99 a month and they have A LOT of anime! I have over 150 DVD in my queue and they are ALL anime!!

.:Everyone is dancing as the ship is going down:.
(#130 (permalink))
Old
Sinner (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via Skype™ to Sinner
03-01-2009, 05:02 PM

Weird how people claim that it´s hard to buy Manga or Animé where they live..
I live in Sweden and I´m not having any troubles getting my manga.
And order from internet is always an option.