LinkBack Thread Tools
(#131 (permalink))
Old
SmMo (Offline)
@ Uni and lurking on JF

03-01-2009, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinner View Post
Weird how people claim that it´s hard to buy Manga or Animé where they live..
I live in Sweden and I´m not having any troubles getting my manga.
And order from internet is always an option.
sure if its a bigger city like stockholm, göteborg or malmö. if you live in a small town you're pretty much cut off...

i just find it really boring to read the swedish translations as well and most off the american versions since they are pretty censored/edited.

Laid back.

Has Claimed Aya Kamiki, mine!
(#132 (permalink))
Old
Sinner (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via Skype™ to Sinner
03-01-2009, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmMo View Post
sure if its a bigger city like stockholm, göteborg or malmö. if you live in a small town you're pretty much cut off...

i just find it really boring to read the swedish translations as well and most off the american versions since they are pretty censored/edited.
Well, I live in Dalsland. :P
But you got a point there.
(#133 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

03-01-2009, 06:34 PM

What manga are you finding that is censored?
(#134 (permalink))
Old
SHAD0W (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

03-01-2009, 06:42 PM

I don't watch anime.. nor do i "steal" things from the internets.. but..

Dragon Ball GT Complete Collection Season 1

With prices like that for DVD's (and thats a british company, would be FAR more expensive to import) i can see why people do download.

Reasonable prices = decent custom.

I remember when it used to cost £15 - £20 for an album on CD untill everyone figured out how to download stuff, now people pay real prices like £8 from play.com and the like.

I'm sorry for all the bad stuff I said and all the feelings I hurt.. Please forgive me
(#135 (permalink))
Old
Ojamajoz (Offline)
New to JF

03-01-2009, 07:35 PM

I read manga on the internet and at Barnes & Noble, but I really don't feel much guilt.

To do it the legal way, you must purchace each manga volume to read it. Let's say that there are 15 volumes in a series. Each manga volume costs around $10. If you wanted to enjoy that manga series without breaking the law, you'd have to pay $150 to complete one series. ONE SERIES. But that's not including mangas like Naruto that have like, more than 40 volumes in them; then they would cost more than $400.

Have I made my point?
(#136 (permalink))
Old
SHAD0W (Offline)

03-01-2009, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ojamajoz View Post
Have I made my point?
What? that your openly admiting you illegally download stuff? Yes.
What? that your admitting you're a cheap bastich? Yes.

My point was that if i did watch, I'd pay a reasonable price, you sound like you won't even haggle. Money makes the world go round my son.

I'm sorry for all the bad stuff I said and all the feelings I hurt.. Please forgive me
(#137 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

03-01-2009, 07:53 PM

Quote:
I read manga on the internet and at Barnes & Noble, but I really don't feel much guilt.

To do it the legal way, you must purchace each manga volume to read it. Let's say that there are 15 volumes in a series. Each manga volume costs around $10. If you wanted to enjoy that manga series without breaking the law, you'd have to pay $150 to complete one series. ONE SERIES. But that's not including mangas like Naruto that have like, more than 40 volumes in them; then they would cost more than $400.

Have I made my point?
No. Manga costs money, just like other forms of entertainment. By reading it off the Internet or making new books used at the bookstore you are stealing. "It's expensive" is no excuse.

I wish I could drive a Lexus, but I don't. Why? It's expensive. That doesn't give me the excuse to steal one, though.
(#138 (permalink))
Old
Payne222 (Offline)
un américain

03-01-2009, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
No. Manga costs money, just like other forms of entertainment. By reading it off the Internet or making new books used at the bookstore you are stealing. "It's expensive" is no excuse.

I wish I could drive a Lexus, but I don't. Why? It's expensive. That doesn't give me the excuse to steal one, though.
Of course it does! Haha, just kidding.
But really, I didn't even know this thread was still going on.
But since I wanna read manga and we're low on money,
I do the cheap, legal way!
I buy all the volumes of my manga in Japanese from Mitsuwa
because they're a few dollars cheaper than American ones.
(#139 (permalink))
Old
SSJup81 (Offline)

Send a message via ICQ to SSJup81 Send a message via AIM to SSJup81 Send a message via MSN to SSJup81 Send a message via Yahoo to SSJup81 Send a message via Skype™ to SSJup81
03-01-2009, 08:39 PM

Quote:

Have I made my point?
Not really. Just collect it as you can. Don't buy it all at one time. If you can only buy a volume every two weeks, do that.

For instance, years ago, I was reading scanlations of Fruits Basket because I didn't have the cash to buy past what I owned. When I got the money to do so, I started to physically collect it again and am pretty much caught up with the US releases of it now.
(#140 (permalink))
Old
Ronin4hire (Offline)

03-01-2009, 08:48 PM

Ah.. the age old argument (Well... since Napster as far as I know)

Is it the responsibility of the industry to adapt to people and technology?
Or is it the responsibility of technology and people to conform to the industry?