(#22 (permalink))
Old
AsianAtHeart (Offline)
Linguist in training

09-25-2009, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoonybard View Post
Points for honesty, however:

Yes there are quite a few instances where the dub is intolerable(such as Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children and the subsequent FFVII games), and the idea of one of another Jonas brother and someone related to Miley Cyrus abhors me, but there are some people who are not interested in learning the language(in the beginning, since at some point they DO become more interested in learning the language, and if you're into yuri, you're forced to watch it with subtitles if you don't know Japanese), and then there are others who don't have the time to read subtitles(like my little brother and sister; they are too young to read it quickly enough and still enjoy themselves, AND they want to see this film).

Also, there are instances when the dub is better than the original Japanese(Chobits and Trinity Blood). While this is an anime, somebody similar to you wrote a letter to Shojo Beat about how much she appreciated their "magazine", because she thought she would NEVER be able to find a decent English translation of the manga she read in her native country(she's Korean, but to my knowledge, you're not Japanese either).

She also reiterated what I have stated, because she went on to say that she noticed that in some cases, the English is actually better than the original(and friends that typically watch anime in Japanese agree with me in that regard). She was especially grateful, because Shojo Beat has helped her improve her English.

Basically, you shouldn't be so negative over something because you like it's country of origin better. Because in that case, I could argue that while Japanese have done videogame consoles and videogames better, videogames actually started in the USA.

When did I ever say I liked Japan better? I said I was biased towards Disney, not the whole concept of American dubbing. Some are awful, some are better than the original (i.e. Tenchi Muyo); Disney is the only issue here.

(Oh, and, I'm African-American, aren't 'weaboos' supposedly mainly Caucasian?)

Last edited by AsianAtHeart : 09-25-2009 at 07:13 AM.
(#23 (permalink))
Old
samokan (Offline)
0xFFFF_FFFF

09-25-2009, 08:03 AM

have not watch the english version, but I love the english theme song more than the japanese one .

I love ponyo, it is a simple story about a boy and a fish, if you are looking for something with really complicated story like Spirited Away then you would be disappointed.

Ponyo is Ponyo and it was fun to watch

*** Omnia Muntantor, Nihil Interit ***

My Japan Life

-------------------------------------
(#24 (permalink))
Old
iluvbleach (Offline)
The Otaku

Ponyo - 02-18-2010, 05:52 PM

this movie is new in the cinemas in the UK
has anyone watched it yet? if you have, put down what you think of it and a mark outta 5 ^_^

(i love studio ghibli moviesX3333)

sebastian~

(#25 (permalink))
Old
metalmark666 (Offline)
JF Regular

02-18-2010, 08:16 PM

I liked it, not their best work, but still beautiful to watch. Also, it has a really catch theme tune!!!!
Probably 4 out of 5.

Please read my diary that I wrote when travelling and working in Japan for three months. It is also packed full of information. I hope that it can inspire you to have an adventure too.
Please contact me if I can help you with advice or information.

Japan 2008: Memoires of a Gaijin A.K.A. A Journey Through the Land of the Rising Sun
(#26 (permalink))
Old
manganimefan227 (Offline)
星の翼

02-19-2010, 01:02 AM

It was different . . .And cool!!

HAM!!

Anybody can be a weeaboo . . .

My Life Sucks- The kids I babysit have drooled, ripped or drawn on all of the cards and put the cars with the little people in the microwave!

I have no Friends- The cats have scratched and destroyed all of the DVDs!

I always owe someone- In fact I put two os in it!

I always ruin my clothes with Bleach!- The show is so dom suspensful I spill my grape soda on them!

But . . .I'll live.
(#27 (permalink))
Old
burritosyum (Offline)
New to JF

02-19-2010, 02:24 AM

I can't wait to get this on DVD. o:

I'm going to nom your face. :3