JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
xyzone (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Will anime designs keep getting "younger"? - 12-06-2009, 04:31 PM

Do you think the popularity of the anime designs of all characters looking like 10 year olds is here to stay or will something change? You look back in old school stuff and it wasn't always like that. I think variety was more dominant. I think it all started around the time of pokemon and digimon. I mean much like that, when they all have child frames. And yes, I know not everything is like that, but I mean the dominant stuff out there today, it's at least a very big presence, and I know it's driven by the market. You can't throw a rock without hitting anime or video game where the world is inhabited solely by 10 year olds (of various ages). Do you think other designs will be dominant or is it here to stay? Maybe in 10 years the taste will develop into toddler-like characters? What's your prediction??
(#2 (permalink))
Old
iPhantom (Offline)
is a pretty cool guy

Send a message via AIM to iPhantom Send a message via MSN to iPhantom Send a message via Skype™ to iPhantom
12-06-2009, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xyzone View Post
Do you think the popularity of the anime designs of all characters looking like 10 year olds is here to stay or will something change? You look back in old school stuff and it wasn't always like that. I think variety was more dominant. I think it all started around the time of pokemon and digimon. I mean much like that, when they all have child frames. And yes, I know not everything is like that, but I mean the dominant stuff out there today, it's at least a very big presence, and I know it's driven by the market. You can't throw a rock without hitting anime or video game where the world is inhabited solely by 10 year olds (of various ages). Do you think other designs will be dominant or is it here to stay? Maybe in 10 years the taste will develop into toddler-like characters? What's your prediction??
Huh, what? What kind of anime you watch? Digimon and Pokemon characters WERE 10 year old, it wasn't the fault of the design. And there are plenty of anime now with adults or more frequently, 18 year old characters.

Quote:
Since when is it immature to talk about pudding? Seriously, do you know the meaning of mature?
(#3 (permalink))
Old
PockyMePink (Offline)
=\

Send a message via MSN to PockyMePink
12-07-2009, 03:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPhantom View Post
Huh, what? What kind of anime you watch? Digimon and Pokemon characters WERE 10 year old, it wasn't the fault of the design. And there are plenty of anime now with adults or more frequently, 18 year old characters.
This.
And I see plenty of older anime characters, especially when it comes to women. Though, from what I've heard, the Japanese naturally look young, so it could just be the perspective of it all.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
xyzone (Offline)
JF Old Timer

12-07-2009, 08:58 AM

Quote:
I don't watch it, but I see it around and advertised all the time. I'm not talking about the background and stats characters are supposed to be, I mean the design. Digimon was all 10 year olds? Ok. (no they weren't) That "little" design has taken off and become more popular despite what you're trying to say.

And PockyMePink, it doesn't matter what this or that real people look like, we're talking about animation here. Nobody looks literally like the average 10 year old unless they are a 10 year old.

Maybe you just have no point of view of the old stuff, but i see a definite increase in the short spindly kid look.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
iPhantom (Offline)
is a pretty cool guy

Send a message via AIM to iPhantom Send a message via MSN to iPhantom Send a message via Skype™ to iPhantom
12-07-2009, 01:38 PM

Quote:
I don't watch it, but I see it around and advertised all the time. I'm not talking about the background and stats characters are supposed to be, I mean the design. Digimon was all 10 year olds? Ok. (no they weren't) That "little" design has taken off and become more popular despite what you're trying to say.
Digimon contained adults as well, and their design looked like an adult. It's just that they weren't supposed to be part of the show for long.

I guess you watch too much shounen, try seinen.

Shounen is generally targeted at kids, so that's one of the reasons. However, not all shounen has 'kiddy' designs, mostly the popular ones.

If you want to check some serious popular anime, try Umineko, and report me back how they design is. It looks pretty realistic and doesn't have that kind of 10 year old design.

Like I said, it depends on the anime. Also, if you want to explain yourself more, put pics.

Quote:
Since when is it immature to talk about pudding? Seriously, do you know the meaning of mature?
(#6 (permalink))
Old
IamKira (Offline)
Sulfer + KClO3 + Cu(1)Cl

12-07-2009, 03:50 PM

Digimon was my childhood!!!!! OMG! I lost all my digimon when my external crashed I am going to have to re-download it... only season 1 though... that was the best

and yes I have noticed a trend in animation style ... the bodies aren't as lanky and some of the features on the faces are more childlike for the most part.

IamKira
(#7 (permalink))
Old
xyzone (Offline)
JF Old Timer

12-08-2009, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Like I said, it depends on the anime.
I said that from the beginning. I'm talking about the overall trend.

Quote:
Also, if you want to explain yourself more, put pics.
Go to any anime site and look at the graphics. That will explain it. But if you don't want to believe it and ignore the details, go ahead. It's not important. And it doesn't matter which you want to pick and choose to make your wrong point. I could do the same but it's stupid. I may post a flood of pics later (for no useful reason).

And about pokemon, sure, there were old gray hair people, but you look at the people with jobs and they still looked little different from the protagonists.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
iPhantom (Offline)
is a pretty cool guy

12-08-2009, 06:22 PM

Quote:
I said that from the beginning. I'm talking about the overall trend.
Then you're completely wrong. There is no such thing as an overall trend. IT depends to what age factor it is targeted too.

Quote:
Go to any anime site and look at the graphics. That will explain it. But if you don't want to believe it and ignore the details, go ahead. It's not important. And it doesn't matter which you want to pick and choose to make your wrong point. I could do the same but it's stupid. I may post a flood of pics later (for no useful reason).

And about pokemon, sure, there were old gray hair people, but you look at the people with jobs and they still looked little different from the protagonists.
Look, I have been in the anime websites scene for 7 years, I've been working as a Anime webcoderand made several high graphics detailed layouts. So I know what I'm talking about.

You either start watching other kinds of anime, or don't post nonsense like this. I could flood this place with pics too. Not a big deal.

Quote:
(#9 (permalink))
Old
komitsuki (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

12-08-2009, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Do you think the popularity of the anime designs of all characters looking like 10 year olds is here to stay or will something change? You look back in old school stuff and it wasn't always like that. I think variety was more dominant. I think it all started around the time of pokemon and digimon. I mean much like that, when they all have child frames.
American black and white cartoons since the 1930s suffered the same thing: adults look very much like kids.

JapanForum's semi-resident amateur linguist.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
Mortry (Offline)
JF Old Timer

12-08-2009, 06:55 PM

Could you give us some more examples than just Pokemon/Digimon?
Because I've browsed through some anime sites, but I couldn't really find any...

Here's my theory about the 'young designs':
The protagonists of Pokemon and Digimon were/are around the age of 10 for a reason; because they were/are meant for CHILDREN (around the same age as the protagonists) to watch. And Children around 10 years old are satisfied quickly. I assume that drawing 'old' people is a little more work than drawing kids; The people who made the anime thought: 'why spend more time on drawing old people, if the viewers already be satisfied with just kids as characters in the anime'. And that's why some anime contain only kids/young people in it