LinkBack Thread Tools
(#21 (permalink))
Old
RealJames (Offline)
ボケ外人

06-24-2011, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBraden View Post
Must be one of those tunnel vision things Nyororin was warning about....
yeah...

oh after watching Cowboy Bebop, if you like it, Samurai Champloo is a good #2,

マンツーマン 英会話 神戸 三宮 リアライズ -James- This is my life and why I know things about Japan.
(#22 (permalink))
Old
Aniki (Offline)
JF's Road Roller

06-24-2011, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Must be one of those tunnel vision things Nyororin was warning about....
Of that certainly contributes a lot to this thread.
(#23 (permalink))
Old
JohnBraden (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

06-24-2011, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aniki View Post
Of that certainly contributes a lot to this thread.
It's the way you said it versus the content of your post.

I saw the first episode of Death Note and thought it was extremely innovative.

I suggested Cowboy Bebop because of Yono Kanno's music, the mostly-episodic nature of the show (it does have an arc, but somewhat subdued throughout), the concept, the characters and it's not-so-serious attitude.

I stopped watching anime a few years ago, so I cannot comment on anything recent....
(#24 (permalink))
Old
Aniki (Offline)
JF's Road Roller

06-24-2011, 02:33 PM

Quote:
It's the way you said it versus the content of your post.
Be my advice blunt as it may, but It's better to recommend one anime rather than dumping a whole list or a title because the music is good. I'm not saying Cowboy Bebop is a bad recommendation, but as OP stated he already watched Evangelion and has mixed thoughts about it, and Evangelion is a highly acclaimed anime, so simply trowing one popular title or another doesn't cut it. That's why recommended to start with Death Note, because everything in it is good: the characters, the music, the art, and most importantly the plot. I can't see anything better to start with than it.

PS: Also Death Note isn't my favorite anime so yeah... tunnel vision.
(#25 (permalink))
Old
JohnBraden (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

06-24-2011, 02:44 PM

It seems you didn't finish reading my post past the Yoko Kanno mention, because I said the same thing about CB that you said about your suggestion. My perception of your post still stands. You just made it seem as if you're the only one entitled to offer a suggestion-none of the other peoples' count.

I'll have to admit we disagree on this subject and end it here....
(#26 (permalink))
Old
RealJames (Offline)
ボケ外人

06-24-2011, 02:55 PM

I haven't watched any anime since I came to Japan haha, how's that for irony.

After coming here my Japanese for a long time wasn't good enough to understand it, and then only good enough to understand it, but not enough to Enjoy it. And it has no subs here ...

Honestly it's a habit or hobby you might not want to get into, once you start an anime you like it is VERY difficult to go to bed at a normal hour unless you've finished the entire series lol.

There are few animes that I watched which took more than a few days to finish from first to last episode. But maybe that's just my style and others can pace themselves...

If you enjoy your life without it, it may encroach upon the other things which you like and damage them or push them out of your life, in the long run you might regret it.

If you spend a shitload of time watching American tv-shows anyways, just swap in anime for one of those series.

cowboy bebop
samurai 7

those are the 2 I want to watch again after years away from anime

マンツーマン 英会話 神戸 三宮 リアライズ -James- This is my life and why I know things about Japan.
(#27 (permalink))
Old
WingsToDiscovery (Offline)
JF Noob

06-24-2011, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealJames View Post
I haven't watched any anime since I came to Japan haha, how's that for irony.

After coming here my Japanese for a long time wasn't good enough to understand it, and then only good enough to understand it, but not enough to Enjoy it. And it has no subs here ...

Honestly it's a habit or hobby you might not want to get into, once you start an anime you like it is VERY difficult to go to bed at a normal hour unless you've finished the entire series lol.

There are few animes that I watched which took more than a few days to finish from first to last episode. But maybe that's just my style and others can pace themselves...

If you enjoy your life without it, it may encroach upon the other things which you like and damage them or push them out of your life, in the long run you might regret it.

If you spend a shitload of time watching American tv-shows anyways, just swap in anime for one of those series.

cowboy bebop
samurai 7

those are the 2 I want to watch again after years away from anime
this post made me lol. Yeah, I wasn't ever into anime before coming to Japan, and I haven't watched any (save for some of Evangelion as I said before) since I've been living in Japan.

I really didn't even watch a whole lot of American TV back home; I think the only thing I was actually ever kind of faithful to was UFC or DREAM/Sengoku fights.

The whole reason I created this thread though is because I feel like Anime, along with other pop culture like music, is one facet of Japanese culture that I'm just extremely out of touch with. It's not like I want to become some anime junky, it's simply that I have no idea what's going on compared to all of my friends, both Japanese and non Japanese. My Japanese friends know a lot about the pop culture simply because they grew up with it, and my non Japanese friends know about it because for a lot of them it's what drew them into Japan in the first place. I don't hang out with weeaboos, but it still seems like all of my friends know what's going on and I don't. There will be a cartoon/anime character on a sign, or on a drink bottle, and everyone will immediately know who it is but me. Or a song will come on the radio, or come up in karaoke, and everyone knows who it is and all of the lyrics except for me. It's bothersome...

So I'm kind of playing some catchup. As I asked before, I'm just looking for standard "everyone knows" kind of anime, that's easy to break into. I'll consider some of the suggestions already made, and I thank you guys for your contributions.

I'm not a cynic; I just like to play Devil's Advocate once in a while.
My photos from Japan and around the world:
http://www.flickr.com/dylanwphotography
(#28 (permalink))
Old
evanny (Offline)
devil's advocate

06-24-2011, 03:23 PM

RealJames you are right about not getting sleep when watching good series, not just anime, also tv.
there have been a few times when i have started to watch something that was so good and volumes that i ended up not going to sleep at all. after school start watching till the next morning when you have to go again.

i started watching anime only like 2 years ago. Bleach was the only one i knew the name of. i got hooked really fast and i caught up with ~200 episodes in 10 days. then, when i had to wait for new ones, i went on watching something else. and the same thing happened since every anime already had like 50+ episodes.

this is also the reason why i don't want to watch Gundam and DragonBall. i somehow don't like them even i haven't seen any episodes. but i am also afraid if i do see and i do like what i see...well - no free time left again.
(#29 (permalink))
Old
Nameless (Offline)
JF Old Timer

06-24-2011, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aniki View Post
Be my advice blunt as it may, but It's better to recommend one anime rather than dumping a whole list or a title because the music is good. I'm not saying Cowboy Bebop is a bad recommendation, but as OP stated he already watched Evangelion and has mixed thoughts about it, and Evangelion is a highly acclaimed anime, so simply trowing one popular title or another doesn't cut it. That's why recommended to start with Death Note, because everything in it is good: the characters, the music, the art, and most importantly the plot. I can't see anything better to start with than it.
>So simply throwing one popular anime title.
>Death note.
>Everything in it is good.

Some people dislike it...
>It was an anime based purely on plot twists and I haet plot twists :'(
>They just talk talk talk
>The 2nd arc of the anime was bad.
>'I'll take the potato chip and eat it'
Those complaints are quite usual.
(#30 (permalink))
Old
Realism (Offline)
JF Old Timer

06-24-2011, 07:04 PM

Shigofumi

Watch the first episode....the ending will shock you...

and you won't be able to stop.

There are only 13 episodes, you can finish it real quick

Of if you like action, watch Yukikaze.

This anime has the best airplane battles I've seen in a long time (live-action or not). It's only 5 episodes, you can finish it in 2 days.

Last edited by Realism : 06-24-2011 at 07:08 PM.