JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
WingsToDiscovery (Offline)
JF Noob

What is a good - 06-23-2011, 11:02 PM

anime for someone who hasn't really ever watched it? My room mates are always telling me I should get into anime (they're super otaku), but I've never really cared for it, and I'm not sure about it. I've watched about a third of Evangelion as per their recommendation, but I have mixed feelings about it. What would you recommend for someone who hasn't really watched anime before? I don't want anything that's part of a small niche; simply a basic, entry anime. I feel like I'm really behind the pop culture scene not only with them but all of my other friends as well.

Here's a picture of one of my room mate's wall, by the way lol
[GET] | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

I'm not a cynic; I just like to play Devil's Advocate once in a while.
My photos from Japan and around the world:
http://www.flickr.com/dylanwphotography
(#2 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

06-23-2011, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingsToDiscovery View Post
anime for someone who hasn't really ever watched it? My room mates are always telling me I should get into anime (they're super otaku), but I've never really cared for it, and I'm not sure about it. I've watched about a third of Evangelion as per their recommendation, but I have mixed feelings about it. What would you recommend for someone who hasn't really watched anime before? I don't want anything that's part of a small niche; simply a basic, entry anime. I feel like I'm really behind the pop culture scene not only with them but all of my other friends as well.

You are in Japan, right? So you aren't going to be able to get much in the way of English subs or dubs (unless you are stealing it online).
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Nameless (Offline)
JF Old Timer

06-23-2011, 11:09 PM

It really depends on what you want, there are many genres... personally, I would recommend seinens such as Monster, 20th century boys, Mushishi... buut... you say you don't want a niche thing...

Imageshack - 1285085989751.jpg

Choose a genre... select one of that list... most of those are good, or at least good to the fans of the subgenre.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
JF Noob

06-23-2011, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
You are in Japan, right? So you aren't going to be able to get much in the way of English subs or dubs (unless you are stealing it online).
If anything, it will give me a reference point to at least see what people would recommend. How I obtain the material (legally) is a different bridge to cross.

(#5 (permalink))
Old
shu (Offline)
JF Wanker

Send a message via Yahoo to shu
06-23-2011, 11:10 PM

hmm it all depends of what type of genre you like i guess if your starting out. If you like toilet humor watch shin chan. If you like fighting watch yu yu hakusho. I also would recommend azumanga daioh one of my fav. (and wow your friend really likes evangelion)
(#6 (permalink))
Old
Nameless (Offline)
JF Old Timer

06-23-2011, 11:13 PM

Again, it really depends on the perspective, some say one piece is a 'masterpiece' the best thing ever created, while others (like me) strongly disagree.

Op, needs to point out what he would like in an anime, otherwise it will be hard to give a GOOD answer.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

06-23-2011, 11:13 PM

Quote:
If anything, it will give me a reference point to at least see what people would recommend. How I obtain the material (legally) is a different bridge to cross.
I would agree with Nameless's list. I would add Death Note, Gantz, Lain, Blood+,
(#8 (permalink))
Old
JF Noob

06-23-2011, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nameless View Post
Again, it really depends on the perspective, some say one piece is a 'masterpiece' the best thing ever created, while others (like me) strongly disagree.

Op, needs to point out what he would like in an anime, otherwise it will be hard to give a GOOD answer.
Well the problem is because I've never watched anime, I really don't have a specific preference. On one hand I can just completely space out and enjoy something kid-friendly like My Neighbor Totoro, and on the other hand I can have a good time watching noobs get owned in Battle Royale.
I think the only way I could develop a taste is if people just threw stuff that they think anyone (who is really familiar with anime) could agree on being really good, and then once I see them, I can make a judgement on if that's a genre I'd like to explore deeper.

(#9 (permalink))
Old
JohnBraden (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

06-23-2011, 11:27 PM

I would recommend a classic with good jazzy music and somewhat a western theme-an oldie but a goodie.... Cowboy Bebop.... got me into anime....
(#10 (permalink))
Old
JohnBraden (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

06-23-2011, 11:31 PM

Quote:

BTW, your roommate's a total Rei Ayanami fan.... Evangelion isn't one I'd watch first...it messes with your head too much....