Busier Than Shinjuku Station

09-13-2010, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogsbody70 View Post
You mean, "I am extremely honoured"
Oh! I made a mistake again!
Thank you for correcting.

Quote:
I suspect Yuri it is because your advisers can see how hard you are trying and so get encouraged to help you.

Have fun. and continue exploring.
Thank you very much!

Hello, I may not understand English very well and I may lack words but I will try to understand you.

If you have questions about my post or Japanese customs, don't hesitate to ask.

I YamaP
(#812 (permalink))
Old
YuriTokoro (Offline)

09-13-2010, 11:49 PM

Hi.
Could someone answer this question?

When you say “I’ll get this round” in a restaurant,
do you mean you’ll pay for all the people there(in the restaurant)?
Does “I’ll buy rounds” mean the same?
Or you just pay for the people with you (your friends)?
Let me know.
Thank you.

Hello, I may not understand English very well and I may lack words but I will try to understand you.

I YamaP
(#813 (permalink))
Old
Koir (Offline)
Meow.

09-14-2010, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YuriTokoro View Post
Hi.

I would say if the person is with a group of friends, he/she would be buying drinks for those individuals only. However, if the person is alone or looks around the restaurant in a way that includes everyone in it, the group would be considerably larger.

Quote:
The same context rules would apply (group of friends or the whole group of patrons in the restaurant), except it would be for several rounds of drinks and not just one.

Quote:
Let me know.
Thank you.
Hope this is of some help, Yuri!

Fortunately, there is one woman in this world who can control me.

Unfortunately for you, she is not here.

"Ride for ruin, and the world ended!"
(#814 (permalink))
Old
YuriTokoro (Offline)

09-14-2010, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koir View Post
I would say if the person is with a group of friends, he/she would be buying drinks for those individuals only. However, if the person is alone or looks around the restaurant in a way that includes everyone in it, the group would be considerably larger.

The same context rules would apply (group of friends or the whole group of patrons in the restaurant), except it would be for several rounds of drinks and not just one.

Hope this is of some help, Yuri!
Koir, thanks!
Now I know the difference between those two sentences!

I YamaP
(#815 (permalink))
Old
YuriTokoro (Offline)

09-16-2010, 02:32 PM

Hi.
Could someone correct my English?

What “Freeter” Is.

If you write the Japanese word フリーター in English way, that would be “freeter”, and that means a person or people who work part-time.
Once one of my English teachers asked me what “freeter” is.
I wasn’t able to explain that then because it’s really complicated.
Let me try it here.
Freeter is a shorten version of “freearbeiter”.
As you can tell, “free” is from an English word “free”, and “arbeit” is from a German word “arbeiten”(=work).
Then, the last part “er” is the English way to make nouns from a verb. For example, play and player.
Arbeiten is pronounced arubaito in Japan, which means part time job(s). The origin is that medical students used to say they “arbeiten” when they cut corpses to study human bodies. They meant it was a hard work. Japanese medical students study the German language because early Japanese medical information was from German. This word had spread and been changed the meaning into part time jobs.
Anyway, “arbeiter” means “part time worker” here.
You know, there is a problem. Does “a free part time worker” works without salary? Unfortunately, no.
In this context, “free” means “not permanent position” here.
Many young people can’t get permanent positions recently and they become freeter. You might think “free” can imply fun, but these people have instability. They can earn little.
This is a big problem Japan has. I guess your country might be so, too.

Thank you.

I YamaP
(#816 (permalink))
Old
Columbine (Offline)

09-16-2010, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Hi.

What “Freeter” Is.

If you write the Japanese word フリーター in English, that would be “freeter”, and that means a person or people who work part-time.
Once one of my English teachers asked me what “freeter” is.
I wasn’t able to explain that then because it’s really complicated.
Let me try it here.
Freeter is a shorten version of “freearbeiter”.
As you can tell, “free” is from an English word “free”, and “arbeit” is from a German word “arbeiten”(=work).
Then, the last part “er” is the English way to make nouns from a verb. For example, play and player.
Arbeiten is pronounced arubaito in Japan, which means part time job(s). The origin is that medical students used to say they “arbeiten” when they cut corpses to study human bodies. They meant it was hard work. Japanese medical students studied German because early Japanese medical information was from Germany. This word spread and over time has been changed to mean 'part time work'.
You know, there is a problem. Does “a free part time worker” work without salary? Unfortunately, no.
In this context, “free” means “without permanent position” here.
Many young people can’t get permanent positions recently and they become freeter. You might think “free” can imply fun, but these people have instability. They can earn little.
This is a big problem Japan has. I guess your country might be so, too.

Thank you.
"They meant it was hard work" is slightly ambiguous. "hard work" usually means tiring activity. Climbing a mountain is hard work. Being a farmer is hard work. However, i'm not sure if you mean 'hard' here as 'difficult' though. 'Difficult' work can be a job that is unlikeable or unpleasant to do, is complicated or involves a lot of risk. Being a doctor is difficult work, being a bomb expert is difficult work.

I could have put 'no' instead of 'without', but 'without' fits more with the formal language of describing work status.
(#817 (permalink))
Old
Columbine (Offline)

09-16-2010, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Hi.

Let me know.
Thank you.
I would add that it's not common to buy rounds in a restaurant. This is the kind of thing you do in a bar or a pub, not when you're sitting down for a meal. Even if you have a meal in a pub you might pay for rounds before, then eat, pay the bill for the food and drinks consumed at the meal and then possibly go back to buying rounds after the meal. Or you will simply put everything on one 'tab' or bill and one person will pay, or you will split the bill/
(#818 (permalink))
Old
Koir (Offline)
Meow.

09-16-2010, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Hi.

What “Freeter” Is.

If you write the Japanese word フリーター in English, it would be “freeter”, or a person who works part-time.
Once one of my English teachers asked me what “freeter” was.
I wasn’t able to explain then because it’s really complicated.
Let me try it here.
Freeter is a shortened version of “freearbeiter”.
As you can tell, “free” is from the English word “free”, and “arbeit” is from a German word “arbeiten” (work).
Then, the last part “er” is the English way to make nouns from verbs. For example, play and player.
Arbeiten is pronounced arubaito in Japanese, which means part time job(s). The origin is that medical students used to say they “arbeiten” when they cut corpses to study human bodies. They meant it was a hard work. Japanese medical students studied the German language because early Japanese medical information was written in German. This word has spread and changed meaning into "part time job".
You know, there is a problem. Does “a free part time worker” work without salary? Unfortunately, no.
In this context, “free” here means “not permanent position”.
Many young people can’t get permanent positions recently and they become freeters. You might think “free” implies fun, but these people have instability. They can earn little.
This is a big problem in Japan. I guess your country might be so, too.

Thank you.
Most of the revisions were to verb tenses to read smoother and place actions in a proper time frame ("was" instead of "is"), or removing verbs at the end of sentences where possible. The majority of the post was very well written and provided a great amount of information on a difficult subject.

Excellent post, Yuri!

Fortunately, there is one woman in this world who can control me.

Unfortunately for you, she is not here.

"Ride for ruin, and the world ended!"
(#819 (permalink))
Old
YuriTokoro (Offline)

09-17-2010, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbine View Post
"They meant it was hard work" is slightly ambiguous. "hard work" usually means tiring activity. Climbing a mountain is hard work. Being a farmer is hard work. However, i'm not sure if you mean 'hard' here as 'difficult' though. 'Difficult' work can be a job that is unlikeable or unpleasant to do, is complicated or involves a lot of risk. Being a doctor is difficult work, being a bomb expert is difficult work.
Hi, Columbine.

My father used to say that cutting corpse heads in two is tiring activity.
I should have written this.

Quote:
I could have put 'no' instead of 'without', but 'without' fits more with the formal language of describing work status.
I see.
Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbine View Post
I would add that it's not common to buy rounds in a restaurant. This is the kind of thing you do in a bar or a pub, not when you're sitting down for a meal. Even if you have a meal in a pub you might pay for rounds before, then eat, pay the bill for the food and drinks consumed at the meal and then possibly go back to buying rounds after the meal. Or you will simply put everything on one 'tab' or bill and one person will pay, or you will split the bill/
I think you pay money when you get drinks, while we pay when we leave the bar or the pub in Japan.
Maybe, it’s easier to buy rounds to you than we.

I YamaP
(#820 (permalink))
Old
YuriTokoro (Offline)

09-17-2010, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koir View Post
Most of the revisions were to verb tenses to read smoother and place actions in a proper time frame ("was" instead of "is"), or removing verbs at the end of sentences where possible. The majority of the post was very well written and provided a great amount of information on a difficult subject.

Excellent post, Yuri!
Quote:
If you write the Japanese word フリーター in English, it would be “freeter”, or a person who works part-time.
Hi, Koir. Thanks as always.

I think it wouldn’t be “or”.
I meant that freeter is a person/people who work(s) part-time.
By any chance, do you have the word “freeter” as a English word?

I YamaP