LinkBack Thread Tools
(#711 (permalink))
Old
Koir (Offline)
Meow.

07-07-2010, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YuriTokoro View Post
I’m having a recital of dancing next week.
I’m so excited now!!
I know you'll do great, Yuri!

Fortunately, there is one woman in this world who can control me.

Unfortunately for you, she is not here.

"Ride for ruin, and the world ended!"
(#712 (permalink))
Old
alicia458 (Offline)
New to JF

Thumbs up 07-12-2010, 12:23 PM

No matter where students learn English, native speakers of English are considered by many educational organizations to be integral to the process of teaching English to their students. Fortunately native speakers of English from many countries such as the Japan, South Korea, Germany, Europe, Asia and Russia are pursuing positions teaching English as a second language online English school in growing numbers.
(#713 (permalink))
Old
YuriTokoro (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

07-21-2010, 02:55 PM

This is my photo from the recital of dancing!!!
先週末、ダンスの発表会がありましたぁ~!
やっと、おわったあ~~~!!!
無事に終了いたしましたぁ!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dancing.jpg (16.0 KB, 41 views)

Hello, I may not understand English very well and I may lack words but I will try to understand you.

If you have questions about my post or Japanese customs, don't hesitate to ask.

I YamaP
(#714 (permalink))
Old
Koir (Offline)
Meow.

07-21-2010, 03:04 PM

You look awesome, Yuri!

Fortunately, there is one woman in this world who can control me.

Unfortunately for you, she is not here.

"Ride for ruin, and the world ended!"
(#715 (permalink))
Old
YuriTokoro (Offline)

07-21-2010, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koir View Post
You look awesome, Yuri!
Thanks!
Koir, thanks!!!

Hello, I may not understand English very well and I may lack words but I will try to understand you.

I YamaP
(#716 (permalink))
Old
MikeB (Offline)
JF Regular

07-21-2010, 03:39 PM

The belief in luck influences a person insofar as it determines how much faith they place on the positive outcomes of their decisions. For example, if you were to wear a red t-shirt for 4 days, let's say monday, wednesday, saturday and sunday, and on each of those days you found a 10,000 yen note on the street. You might think that in some way wearing the red t-shirt helped you find the money, even if you don't understand how it might be true.

This is what's called in philosophy the correlation bias, it means that if you find a correlation between two things, you sometimes can make the mistake of believing there's a cause when in fact there is none. For example, rice as a crop started out in Asia, therefore Asian cuisine is more dependent on rice than European cuisine. It follows then that because rice is more popular in Asia, more people with naturally black hair will eat lots of rice, because that's what their used to. That doesn't mean that if you have black hair, you'll like rice any more or any less than any other person, it's just a question of exposure.

To see causation where there is none is a consequence of a psychological phenomena known as pareidolia. Perceiving patterns and causation where there is none. Because this is the way our brains are wired, this can and does influence decision making on a very basic level.

Last edited by MikeB : 07-21-2010 at 06:42 PM.
(#717 (permalink))
Old
YuriTokoro (Offline)

07-25-2010, 06:13 AM

Hi.
Could someone correct my English?

“Custom of Japan”

When you come to Japan and go drinking with Japanese people, some of them will say “Let’s start with beer!”.
And then you’ll make a toast.
If you want to behave like Japanese, you need to look after other people’s glasses. If they are empty, you have to offer to pour beer for them. Someone may start it before you notice the empty glasses. This is how Japanese people communicate each other drinking.
A legal adult is twenty years old here. When there are unmarried young women, you should look after their glasses carefully, because if an unmarried young woman pours herself, it is said that she will not be able to get married. So, a woman has to wait until someone notice her glass.
Is this too much of a bother? Maybe, but if you are a man, I think this could be a good excuse to speak to a young woman who you like. Good luck!

Thank you!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img028.jpg (9.2 KB, 24 views)

I YamaP
(#718 (permalink))
Old
Columbine (Offline)

07-25-2010, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Hi.
Could someone correct my English?

“Customs of Japan”

When you come to Japan and go drinking with Japanese people, some of them will say, “Let’s start with beer!” and then you’ll give a toast. (You mean 'you' as in both me and the Japanese people, or just me? if it's everyone, it would be better to be 'you'll all')

If you want to behave like the Japanese, you'll need to look after other people’s glasses. If they are empty, you have to offer to pour beer for them. Someone may start it before you notice the empty glasses. This is how Japanese people communicate each other while drinking.
A legal adult is twenty years old here. When there are unmarried young women, you should look after their glasses carefully, because if an unmarried young woman pours for herself, it is said that she will not be able to get married. So a woman has to wait until someone notices her glass.
Is this too much of a bother? Perhaps, but if you are a man, I think this could be a good excuse to speak to a young woman who you like. Good luck!

Thank you!
There's one sentence that bothers me a little; 'Someone may start it before you notice the empty glasses'. It's not technically incorrect, but it feels unnatural and it's a bit unclear. Do you mean, if someone else fills the glasses around me before I notice that I should be filling them, then that's bad. Or is it that, someone might fill my empty glass before I even realize that it was empty.
(#719 (permalink))
Old
YuriTokoro (Offline)

07-25-2010, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbine View Post
There's one sentence that bothers me a little; 'Someone may start it before you notice the empty glasses'. It's not technically incorrect, but it feels unnatural and it's a bit unclear. Do you mean, if someone else fills the glasses around me before I notice that I should be filling them, then that's bad. Or is it that, someone might fill my empty glass before I even realize that it was empty.
Hi, Columbine, thanks.

I meant "someone slse fills the glasses around you before you notice that you should be filling them".
There are always someone who notices other people's empty glasses before I do.
What would you say?

I YamaP
(#720 (permalink))
Old
Columbine (Offline)

07-25-2010, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Hi, Columbine, thanks.

I meant "someone slse fills the glasses around you before you notice that you should be filling them".
There are always someone who notices other people's empty glasses before I do.
What would you say?
Ok, in that case, I'd break it down and explain it clearly like you just did. "It's easy to get distracted at a party, but there is always someone who will notice other people's empty glasses and fill them for you."
But then you could add after that, that you should really be paying more attention and not let everyone else take care of your glass-filling duty