LinkBack Thread Tools
(#871 (permalink))
Old
YuriTokoro (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

09-23-2010, 02:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogsbody70 View Post
I believe what was meant was :that it was unfortunate for businesses that people would not work for them if they do not receive a salary.

No doubt many Businesses would rub their hands with glee if they have people working for nothing.

I am unsure about apprentices. they may work for a small wage because they are actually learning the business which will be a great asset to them later on. Apprentices used to be very common here in the UK, it seems a shame to me that there are not as many as there used to be as they learn very useful skills
Freeter receive a little salary. Many of them can’t get by the money they earn.

I meant that the part “free” in the word “freeter” is from English, but not an English word and that has a different meaning.
That is spelled like English, but it means “having no regular work” here.
I’m sorry. I have made confusions.

Hello, I may not understand English very well and I may lack words but I will try to understand you.

If you have questions about my post or Japanese customs, don't hesitate to ask.

I YamaP
(#872 (permalink))
Old
ColinHowell (Offline)
JF Regular

09-23-2010, 02:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YuriTokoro View Post
I see.
Then, how about “self-dependence”?
What do you think?

You might think “freelancing” implies self-dependence and flexibility, but these people only have instability. They can earn little.
"Self-dependence" sounds a bit odd to me; it's certainly not standard usage. To me, "self-reliance" seems like a better choice for what you're trying to say here.
(#873 (permalink))
Old
YuriTokoro (Offline)

09-23-2010, 03:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColinHowell View Post
"Self-dependence" sounds a bit odd to me; it's certainly not standard usage. To me, "self-reliance" seems like a better choice for what you're trying to say here.
Hi, ColinHowell!

Thank you.
“Self-reliance” sounds really appropriate.

Then, I seem to have finished my short composition. Finally!
What do you think?

What “Freeter” Is

If you write the Japanese word フリーター in English, it would be “freeter” (both singular and plural), and that means a person or people who work(s) part-time.
Once one of my English teachers asked me what “freeter” was.
I wasn’t able to explain that then because it’s really complicated.
Let me try it here.
Freeter is a shortened version of “freearbeiter”.
“Free” is from the English word “freelancing”, and “arbeit” is from the German word “arbeiten”(work).
Then, the last part “er” is the English way to make nouns from verbs. For example, play and player.
Arbeiten is pronounced arubaito in Japan, which means part time job(s). The origin is that medical students used to say they “arbeiten” when they cut corpses to study human bodies. They meant it was hard work. My father (who is a surgeon) used to say that cutting corpse heads in two is tiring activity. Japanese medical students studied German because early Japanese medical information was from Germany. This word has spread and been changed to mean 'part time work'.
Anyway, “arbeiter” means “part time worker” now.
In this word “freeter”, “free” means “without permanent position” or “freelancing”, and many young people can’t get permanent positions recently. Most of them become freeter. You might think “freelancing” implies self-reliance and flexibility, but these people only have instability. They can earn little.
This is a big problem in Japan. I guess your country might be so, too.

Thank you.

Hello, I may not understand English very well and I may lack words but I will try to understand you.

If you have questions about my post or Japanese customs, don't hesitate to ask.

I YamaP
(#874 (permalink))
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)

09-23-2010, 08:12 AM

yuki

Sorry, I am the one who is confusing you by adding extra information.
(#875 (permalink))
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)

09-23-2010, 08:12 AM

yuri

Sorry, I am the one who is confusing you by adding extra information.
(#876 (permalink))
Old
JamboP26 (Offline)
日本オタク

Send a message via MSN to JamboP26
09-23-2010, 08:17 AM

@dogsbody, your posts are confusing me.

@YuriTokoro, Instead of 'self-dependence', perhaps 'independence' is a better word to use their Just a suggestion

I'm a Cafe-kko, Nyappy in the World. But GazeRock is not dead. 「Sixth Gun」です

An Cafe, Vidoll, Versailles, Dir En Grey, Deathgaze, the GazettE, alice nine., UVERworld, Kiryu , YUI, AKB48, Buono!, Berryz Koubou, C-ute, S/mileage, Morning Musume, Zoro, Lolita23Q, Visual Kei, Oshare Kei, J-Rock, J-Pop, Idol groups FTW (≧∀≦)
(#877 (permalink))
Old
Columbine (Offline)

09-23-2010, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YuriTokoro View Post
Hi. Columbine.

I see.
Then, how about “self-dependence”?
What do you think?

You might think “freelancing” implies self-dependence and flexibility, but these people only have instability. They can earn little.

Thank you!
No, I wouldn't ever use self-dependent. The 'in' in 'independent' means 'self' in this context. 'Dependent' almost always refers to something ~other~ than yourself, so 'self-dependent' is confusing. If you want to say someone can rely on them-self and they don't need anyone or anything else, we use 'self-sufficient'.
E.G. ; He never consulted anyone else at work; he was totally self-sufficient.

The farm was fully self-sufficient. It could produce everything it needed, even it's own electricity and water.

My grandmother has recovered well from her stroke; she's now becoming more self-sufficient.

Is that ok?

EDIT: Oh, I didn't see some of the other posts. You could certainly also use 'self-reliant' as a synonym for 'self-sufficient' and 'independent'. Use whichever you prefer, Yuri.

Last edited by Columbine : 09-23-2010 at 05:44 PM.
(#878 (permalink))
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)

09-23-2010, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamboP26 View Post
@dogsbody, your posts are confusing me.

@YuriTokoro, Instead of 'self-dependence', perhaps 'independence' is a better word to use their Just a suggestion
sorry about that Jambo-- I just like to give extra information but if it is too confusing I'll stop. Cheers.
(#879 (permalink))
Old
JamboP26 (Offline)
日本オタク

Send a message via MSN to JamboP26
09-24-2010, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogsbody70 View Post
sorry about that Jambo-- I just like to give extra information but if it is too confusing I'll stop. Cheers.
Don't worry about it. It's just all this double-posting stuff that's going on. Your information is good. And if you've anything to add, just edit a previous post of yours

I'm a Cafe-kko, Nyappy in the World. But GazeRock is not dead. 「Sixth Gun」です

An Cafe, Vidoll, Versailles, Dir En Grey, Deathgaze, the GazettE, alice nine., UVERworld, Kiryu , YUI, AKB48, Buono!, Berryz Koubou, C-ute, S/mileage, Morning Musume, Zoro, Lolita23Q, Visual Kei, Oshare Kei, J-Rock, J-Pop, Idol groups FTW (≧∀≦)
(#880 (permalink))
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)

09-24-2010, 08:30 AM

jambo half my problem is APART from being OLD---------------- Is-- I cannot select separate "quotes" so probably that is why I cause chaos and confusion.

Young people are better at manipulating these !quotes! than I.

anyway "I'll try to do better in future Miss."