Old
JamboP26 (Offline)
日本オタク

Send a message via MSN to JamboP26
09-19-2010, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YuriTokoro View Post
Thank you for the translation.
Do NEETs seem to be like those neds in your country?
Yes. From what I've read here about NEET's, they sound pretty similar

I'm a Cafe-kko, Nyappy in the World. But GazeRock is not dead. 「Sixth Gun」です

An Cafe, Vidoll, Versailles, Dir En Grey, Deathgaze, the GazettE, alice nine., UVERworld, Kiryu , YUI, AKB48, Buono!, Berryz Koubou, C-ute, S/mileage, Morning Musume, Zoro, Lolita23Q, Visual Kei, Oshare Kei, J-Rock, J-Pop, Idol groups FTW (≧∀≦)
(#862 (permalink))
Old
Koir (Offline)
Meow.

09-19-2010, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolNard View Post
I don't understand why you would put "Unfortunately, no", after "without salary?" I'm curious - is this a mistake or are you implying that working with salary is unfortunate?

EDIT: or perhaps Koir might want to hazard a guess?[/font][/size][/color]
I admit it has confused me as well. Perhaps Yuri can shed some light on the statements' context.

Fortunately, there is one woman in this world who can control me.

Unfortunately for you, she is not here.

"Ride for ruin, and the world ended!"
(#863 (permalink))
Old
Columbine (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

09-19-2010, 04:23 PM

It makes sense to me. Or at least, I think I can fully understand the meaning behind it. It's a play on the word 'free'.

"Does "a free part-time worker" work without salary." IE does the term mean that the part-time worker is like a free commodity for business, giving work for no salary? "Unfortunately, no."

You could just put

Does a "free" part-time worker work without salary? Unfortunately for business, no.
(#864 (permalink))
Old
Koir (Offline)
Meow.

09-19-2010, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbine View Post
It makes sense to me. Or at least, I think I can fully understand the meaning behind it. It's a play on the word 'free'.

"Does "a free part-time worker" work without salary." IE does the term mean that the part-time worker is like a free commodity for business, giving work for no salary? "Unfortunately, no."

You could just put

Does a "free" part-time worker work without salary? Unfortunately for business, no.
Gah. Yeah, that makes sense. I completely missed the meaning :P Got one by me, Yuri!

Fortunately, there is one woman in this world who can control me.

Unfortunately for you, she is not here.

"Ride for ruin, and the world ended!"
(#865 (permalink))
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)

09-20-2010, 08:46 AM

People who work for "FREE" are called volunteers. They give their time freely.
(#866 (permalink))
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)

09-20-2010, 08:48 AM

People who work for "FREE" are called VOLUNTEERS They give their time freely. They Volunteer to do unpaid work-- often for Charities. Often if a person volunteers to help out-- shall we say in a hospital-- later, if they do well, they will be asked to actually become an official employee-- so it CAN be the way to get into a job that otherwise they may not have been able to get.

We rely very much on volunteers for many aspects of work in the community.

Many retired people will volunteer, they help out at WRVS shops in hospitals. They help in charity shops, they organise events, they visit people who may not be able to get out of their house. They help at Animal sanctuaries-- and Many other things.

WRVS-- Womens ROYAL VOLUNTARY SERVICE. THey used to supply meals to the people who could not leave their homes. They do many wonderful services for the communities

Last edited by dogsbody70 : 09-20-2010 at 08:57 AM.
(#867 (permalink))
Old
YuriTokoro (Offline)

09-20-2010, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolNard View Post
I don't understand why you would put "Unfortunately, no", after "without salary?" I'm curious - is this a mistake or are you implying that working with salary is unfortunate?

EDIT: or perhaps Koir might want to hazard a guess?[/font][/size][/color]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogsbody70 View Post
People who work for "FREE" are called volunteers. They give their time freely.
OK.
The “free” in the Japanese word is from “freelance”, and freeter can’t be volunteers.

As a Japanese word, “フリー(free)” doesn’t have meanings of “not costing any money”. We use the word meaning like “liberty”. So I have written some strange things. I’m sorry.

I have rewritten my short composition, again.

What “Freeter” Is

If you write the Japanese word フリーター in English, it would be “freeter” (both singular and plural), and that means a person or people who work(s) part-time.
Once one of my English teachers asked me what “freeter” was.
I wasn’t able to explain that then because it’s really complicated.
Let me try it here.
Freeter is a shortened version of “freearbeiter”.
“Free” is from the English word “freelancing”, and “arbeit” is from the German word “arbeiten”(work).
Then, the last part “er” is the English way to make nouns from verbs. For example, play and player.
Arbeiten is pronounced arubaito in Japan, which means part time job(s). The origin is that medical students used to say they “arbeiten” when they cut corpses to study human bodies. They meant it was hard work. My father (who is a surgeon) used to say that cutting corpse heads in two is tiring activity. Japanese medical students studied German because early Japanese medical information was from Germany. This word has spread and been changed to mean 'part time work'.
Anyway, “arbeiter” means “part time worker” now.
In this word “freeter”, “free” means “without permanent position” or “freelancing”, and many young people can’t get permanent positions recently. Most of them become freeter. You might think “freelancing” implies dependent, but these people only have instability. They can earn little.
This is a big problem in Japan. I guess your country might be so, too.

Thank you.

Hello, I may not understand English very well and I may lack words but I will try to understand you.

If you have questions about my post or Japanese customs, don't hesitate to ask.

I YamaP
(#868 (permalink))
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)

09-22-2010, 12:27 PM

I believe what was meant was :that it was unfortunate for businesses that people would not work for them if they do not receive a salary.

No doubt many Businesses would rub their hands with glee if they have people working for nothing.

I am unsure about apprentices. they may work for a small wage because they are actually learning the business which will be a great asset to them later on. Apprentices used to be very common here in the UK, it seems a shame to me that there are not as many as there used to be as they learn very useful skills
(#869 (permalink))
Old
Columbine (Offline)

09-22-2010, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YuriTokoro View Post
OK.
The “free” in the Japanese word is from “freelance”, and freeter can’t be volunteers.

As a Japanese word, “フリー(free)” doesn’t have meanings of “not costing any money”. We use the word to mean like “liberty”. So I have written some strange things. I’m sorry.

I have rewritten my short composition, again.

What “Freeter” Is

If you write the Japanese word フリーター in English, it would be “freeter” (both singular and plural), and that means a person or people who work(s) part-time.
Once one of my English teachers asked me what “freeter” was.
I wasn’t able to explain that then because it’s really complicated.
Let me try it here.
Freeter is a shortened version of “freearbeiter”.
“Free” is from the English word “freelancing”, and “arbeit” is from the German word “arbeiten”(work).
Then, the last part “er” is the English way to make nouns from verbs. For example, play and player.
Arbeiten is pronounced arubaito in Japan, which means part time job(s). The origin is that medical students used to say they “arbeiten” when they cut corpses to study human bodies. They meant it was hard work. My father (who is a surgeon) used to say that cutting corpse heads in two is tiring activity. Japanese medical students studied German because early Japanese medical information was from Germany. This word has spread and been changed to mean 'part time work'.
Anyway, “arbeiter” means “part time worker” now.
In this word “freeter”, “free” means “without permanent position” or “freelancing”, and many young people can’t get permanent positions recently. Most of them become freeter. You might think “freelancing” implies independence, but these people only have instability. They can earn little.
This is a big problem in Japan. I guess your country might be so, too.

Thank you.
I made one change, so I just want you to look at this vocabulary;

An unemployed person- someone without any kind of job
A full-timer- someone who works for one company every day of the week
A freelancer - someone who works(as a writer, designer, performer, or the like,)selling work or services by the hour, day, job, etc., rather than working on a regular salary basis for one employer.

So is a freelancer dependent on one employer? Or do they go out and find their own work amongst many employers?

I think this is fine now Yuri. I wouldn't spend much more time on it.
(#870 (permalink))
Old
YuriTokoro (Offline)

09-23-2010, 02:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbine View Post
I made one change, so I just want you to look at this vocabulary;

An unemployed person- someone without any kind of job
A full-timer- someone who works for one company every day of the week
A freelancer - someone who works(as a writer, designer, performer, or the like,)selling work or services by the hour, day, job, etc., rather than working on a regular salary basis for one employer.

So is a freelancer dependent on one employer? Or do they go out and find their own work amongst many employers?

I think this is fine now Yuri. I wouldn't spend much more time on it.
Quote:
You might think “freelancing” implies independence, but these people only have instability. They can earn little.
Hi. Columbine.

I see.
Then, how about “self-dependence”?
What do you think?

You might think “freelancing” implies self-dependence and flexibility, but these people only have instability. They can earn little.

Thank you!

Hello, I may not understand English very well and I may lack words but I will try to understand you.

If you have questions about my post or Japanese customs, don't hesitate to ask.

I YamaP