LinkBack Thread Tools
(#81 (permalink))
Old
MikeB (Offline)
JF Regular

07-21-2010, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masaegu
So glad I didn't learn English under a dumbass like you. Woulda been disastrous!

FYI, most of the active Japanese members have already put you in their ignore bins. The word is out: New bully's here!
Another personal message, once again I can't reply so am forced to post my reply here.

Yes sir, I do correct what I've posted by editing from time to time, but not if think someone's replied to what I've already posted, so it doesn't really disrupt the flow of conversation one way or the other. I'd like to know how exactly I'm being a bully by the way! I only responded to your insults! Why don't you make the discussion public?
(#82 (permalink))
Old
MikeB (Offline)
JF Regular

07-21-2010, 02:36 PM

Come to think of it, I'm actually mildly offended that you might, wholly unfairly, accuse me of bullying. Having actually experienced, first hand, the horrors of bullying I have made a personal vow not only to never participate in bullying, but also to stand up against bullying in whatever form I see it and toward whoever it is directed. You will notice that whilst you have thrown insult after insult at me, without good context or demonstrated reason, I haven't done the same to you. If anything you are the bully, not me.
(#83 (permalink))
Old
Columbine (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

07-21-2010, 03:47 PM

Okay... well... moving past the ruckus here a little, as I don't want to get involved~

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeB View Post
Where were you based?
Kansai, in an large urban area near Osaka. Big enough to have a noticeable fashion district, but gyaru wasn't so popular at the time, there was a bit of a 'pale skin' craze going on, which is at odds with fake tanning. At least, I never saw the yukata kind you were talking about, or the other extreme forms of it. I guess there were more of the 'everyday gyaru' sorts about.

Quote:
There is that about Japanese culture, everything ought to be done in groups. Mind you he was a complete weirdo and looked fairly odd no matter what he was wearing. But I think a Japanese person might get a similar response. Still, nobody got angry with him, though we all thought it was a bit funny. If he had have gone to a Summer festival, even on his own, however I don't think anybody would have found it odd.
At the end of the day, those kinds of mistakes are usually pretty harmless. Like you said with the toilet slipper thing, you're easily forgiven especially if it's as though you don't know better or can't help it. Like you can't really get mad at the local eccentric for not being normal!

Quote:
<snip> The black people I knew mostly hated them for that, some of whom argued that it was in some way "stealing their culture" or something similar. I think some people might assume that Japanese people have the same sort of logic. But it's quite the opposite, if you make an effort it will be appreciated. But like anywhere if you act like a weirdo it won't be. What's the anime called by the way?
I guess it's a little different though; due to the history and how African Americans have had to fight for a voice, so I can see why that might cause more upset than it would in Japan. It's kind of reciprocal anyway; Japanese culture borrows from British culture, and we don't see that as 'stealing'. If anything it's seen as sort of sweet, or a refreshing take on what is over here a tired old theme.

The kabuki thing is a manga; the article I read was here: asahi.com
(#84 (permalink))
Old
MikeB (Offline)
JF Regular

07-21-2010, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbine View Post
Okay... well... moving past the ruckus here a little, as I don't want to get involved~
Absolutely, neither do I really, don't really have any clue what it's about and exactly what it has to do with gaijin wearing yukatas. Apparently unless your Japanese, casually and anonymously referring to middleaged friends as obachans is now deeply offensive to everyone (except, coincidentally, eveyone I've ever met,) and a definite sign that any person making such a comment has a pathological hatred Japan and everything Japanese, not sure how the logic works or the cultural rule behind it, but I'm sure it's a die hard traditional Japanese value that dates back to the grand old age of a few hours ago.

Either that or someone likes to pick a fight; I'll leave that judgment up to the audience. Or I would do but I can't, you see, allegedly I'm the new bully 'round here and on everyone's ignore lists so it seems as though I have no audience, nobody is reading this, (least of all the author of the allegations), and that the conversation is solely between you and I, Columbine.

Anyway, if there is anyone who is looking at this post, why not check my accusers liturgy of totally inappropriate, uncalled for and abusive posts here?

http://www.japanforum.com/forum/sear...d=900445&pp=25

Quote:
I guess it's a little different though; due to the history and how African Americans have had to fight for a voice, so I can see why that might cause more upset than it would in Japan. It's kind of reciprocal anyway; Japanese culture borrows from British culture, and we don't see that as 'stealing'. If anything it's seen as sort of sweet, or a refreshing take on what is over here a tired old theme.
Absolutely, but my point is that I think that some gaijin are using those criteria to judge what is and what's not correct within a culture wherein such judgments don't apply. Would you agree with this? Moreover, just to be clear, are we in absolute agreement that wearing a yukata to a summer festival is acceptable?

Last edited by MikeB : 07-21-2010 at 05:54 PM.
(#85 (permalink))
Old
Columbine (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

07-21-2010, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Absolutely, neither do I really, don't really have any clue what it's about...
Again, not getting involved.

Quote:
Absolutely, but my point is that I think that some gaijin are using those criteria to judge what is and what's not correct within a culture wherein such judgments don't apply. Would you agree with this? Moreover, just to be clear, are we in absolute agreement that wearing a yukata to a summer festival is acceptable?
Oh of course.
(#86 (permalink))
Old
MikeB (Offline)
JF Regular

07-21-2010, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Oh of course.
Jolly good!
(#87 (permalink))
Old
manganimefan227 (Offline)
星の翼

07-21-2010, 08:30 PM

-Wears a yukata in Kyoto on some random not important day-

Person: Why are you wearing a yukata?

Me: いつまでも日本に行きたいました! This is a VERY special occasion for me!!

Person: -.-'

My Life Sucks- The kids I babysit have drooled, ripped or drawn on all of the cards and put the cars with the little people in the microwave!

I have no Friends- The cats have scratched and destroyed all of the DVDs!

I always owe someone- In fact I put two os in it!

I always ruin my clothes with Bleach!- The show is so dom suspensful I spill my grape soda on them!

But . . .I'll live.
(#88 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

07-21-2010, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manganimefan227 View Post

Did the person scratch his head and ask what you meant?
(#89 (permalink))
Old
bELyVIS (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-22-2010, 03:02 AM

Japanese don't mind foreigners wearing Yukata or Kimono as long as it is worn correctly. I wore a kimono for my wedding and to a festival (my wife is a kimono teacher) and the Japanese people loved it. They only make fun if it is worn incorrectly, like putting the left side under the right which means you're dead.

The World's only Belly Dancing Elvis Impersonator!
(#90 (permalink))
Old
MikeB (Offline)
JF Regular

07-22-2010, 04:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manganimefan227 View Post

Why not? My mate walked round last year dressed as a ninga. Looked a bit idiotic but was very funny.