JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#231 (permalink))
Old
iPhantom (Offline)
is a pretty cool guy

Send a message via AIM to iPhantom Send a message via MSN to iPhantom Send a message via Skype™ to iPhantom
02-21-2009, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenchu View Post
No. You're talking as though we cannot live without cars... I think you're just more afraid because your civilization can't live without cars. We'll be fine.
Is that your excuse? Now let the government strip out of you other non-vital things...

Quote:
Since when is it immature to talk about pudding? Seriously, do you know the meaning of mature?
(#232 (permalink))
Old
Rose (Offline)
JF Regular

Send a message via MSN to Rose
02-21-2009, 06:17 PM

When has China not been a superpower? they've always been one of the most important countries in the world and they have mayor influence in other countries. Now, will it become the superpower outhroning USA? Doubt it, but their political and cultural influence will continue, especially in left-winged countries.

(#233 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

02-21-2009, 08:10 PM

Cultural influence?
(#234 (permalink))
Old
komitsuki (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

02-21-2009, 08:53 PM

China is already the superpower by passively undermining America, UK, and EU for a long time.

I see no problem with China being a superpower since a huge number of Canadians don't really like America meddling with Canada and would rather outreach a very powerful Asian country.

Canada and China are respectful sisters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose View Post
especially in left-winged countries.
I don't think the current single-party Chinese government is left-wing per se when realpolitik is influencing every decision within the party.

Last edited by MissMisa : 02-21-2009 at 09:13 PM. Reason: Double post.
(#235 (permalink))
Old
Ronin4hire (Offline)

02-22-2009, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose View Post
Now, will it become the superpower outhroning USA? Doubt it, but their political and cultural influence will continue, especially in left-winged countries.
I half agree here.

China won't become THE Superpower... but in saying that the US won't stay THE Superpower either.
(#236 (permalink))
Old
iPhantom (Offline)
is a pretty cool guy

Send a message via AIM to iPhantom Send a message via MSN to iPhantom Send a message via Skype™ to iPhantom
02-22-2009, 09:48 AM

If it was for today, excluding America, who would be the next Superpower? I don't think China. Russia probably.

Quote:
Since when is it immature to talk about pudding? Seriously, do you know the meaning of mature?
(#237 (permalink))
Old
kirakira (Offline)
己所不欲勿施於人

02-22-2009, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
Cultural influence?
You are right, China right now has a cultural deficit against other countries. It'll be a while before it can compare to Japanese and Koreans in terms of flogging their culture around the world.

But of course it isn't always like that back in the days, when China had half the world's GDP. It's no coincidence quite a chunk of Japanese and Korean culture has its roots in ancient China (You don't wholly import another language's writing system if that Country has no culture influence).

As for where it will go in the future, we'll have to wait and see.
(#238 (permalink))
Old
Ronin4hire (Offline)

02-22-2009, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshAussie View Post
Interesting post.

Who do you think will be "THE" new superpower?

This was really what this thread was aimed at.

China is growing so rapidly and i think that with this growth its influence over other countrys is going to rise to a bigger extent than it is at the moment.

Iv also read that learning English is mandatory in a large number of primary and secondary schools throughout China, and with that dont see why not its influence wont cross over to the English speaking world. It may take some time but i think its inevitable.

I also dont see America recovering back to its previous "150% - We run the world status." by that i mean, I think the peak influence it had over other countrys wont return to what it used to be. The country itself will eventually overcome the current struggles and return to "100%" there will always be an influence coming from America and the things other countrys have adopted from the "American way" will probably stay but Americas time has come and gone.
My prediction (which is shared by a US thinktank by the way) is Nobody will be THE superpower. There will be regional powers and a few global ones but that's about it.

That's the next step anyway.
(#239 (permalink))
Old
Ronin4hire (Offline)

02-22-2009, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirakira View Post
You are right, China right now has a cultural deficit against other countries. It'll be a while before it can compare to Japanese and Koreans in terms of flogging their culture around the world.

But of course it isn't always like that back in the days, when China had half the world's GDP. It's no coincidence quite a chunk of Japanese and Korean culture has its roots in ancient China (You don't wholly import another language's writing system if that Country has no culture influence).

As for where it will go in the future, we'll have to wait and see.
If I wasn't studying Japanese I'd actually be more familiar with Chinese culture than Japanese...

We celebrate Chinese New Year, Chinese restaurants are common along the high streets, there are many Chinese immigrants and New Zealanders of Chinese descent, Chinese movies are more popular than any Japanese or anime movie. Chinese movies even make it to mainstream cinema here. Something Japanese movies have only done once with Spirited Away. Anime and Japanese movies are only really watched here by world/movie enthusiasts such as myself and otaku.
(#240 (permalink))
Old
hennaz (Offline)
こんにちは!

02-22-2009, 07:34 PM

It's no doubt that the whole world would change if China became the new superpower of the world. Other countries will receive more Chinese-made products and more schools in the richer countries will offer Mandarin classes (if I ever have children they would probably learn the Chinese language in school). However my main concerns with China is over it's poor human rights record, and especially the future of Tibet and Taiwan, both of which I'd like to see become independant. I'd probably like to go to China one day, but no matter what happens, my main interest will always be with Japan and their culture.

Hennaz ヘンナズ