JapanForum.com  

View Poll Results: Are you proud of your country?
Yes 133 56.60%
No 102 43.40%
Voters: 235. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#211 (permalink))
Old
Suki (Offline)
armed with a mind

Send a message via MSN to Suki
09-21-2008, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenchu View Post
But when the youth of a country are growing up thinking getting drunk with your friends is the Australian Way then there is little difficult to see it is a degenerate society that moves backwards.
And you think this happens nowhere but in Australia, teenagers getting drunk first chance they get?

everything is relative and contradictory ~
(#212 (permalink))
Old
saphire (Offline)
BOOM! ... Ya.

Send a message via ICQ to saphire Send a message via AIM to saphire Send a message via MSN to saphire Send a message via Yahoo to saphire Send a message via Skype™ to saphire
09-21-2008, 10:29 AM

I'm very patriotic about England, whether I'm proud or not. If someone says something bad about England, I'm right up there with ':O Oh no you did not! <insert argument here>'.

But if someone says something bad about the English, I (usually) just laugh and agree. As a french friend of mine says, we're a bunch of tea-drinking <rude word beginning with 'ba'>.

But my dad says the greatest aspect of the english (for most of us) is the ability to laugh at ourselves. And I'm proud of that, at least.

I eat you. Yup, tis true. Really.

That will mean nothing to everyone, except some people who aren't on this site

Just to confirm Mitsuru, Sayo, Suzuya and Ginga belong to me on JF. Not much point in saying since what's gonna happen? But it's fun all the same
(#213 (permalink))
Old
Suki (Offline)
armed with a mind

09-21-2008, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Yes, it is a big problem. Perhapds America is also losing the plot. Yet my particular dig is young Australians were specifically polled on what is the "Australian Way" and the vast majority answered it was getting drunk with your friends.

Perhaps young yanks like to get drunk, but is that what they call the American Way?
I thought the Australian way was all about surf and night clubbing, how very wrong have I been! O.O

Everybody enjoys a drink or two at that age. No matter where you go to, you'll always find people getting drunk on a Saturday night, be it America, Australia, France, wherever.

Which Country Drinks the Most?

Which nation in the world drinks the most alcohol?

(#214 (permalink))
Old
james1254 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

09-21-2008, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saphire View Post
But if someone says something bad about the English, I (usually) just laugh and agree. As a french friend of mine says, we're a bunch of tea-drinking <rude word beginning with 'ba'>.
Tea drinking bastards?......I never understood french humor. Especially since they are frog eating wine drinking surrender monkeys :P

「人は生れながら自由で 、しかもいたるところで鎖に縛られている」
(#215 (permalink))
Old
Suki (Offline)
armed with a mind

09-21-2008, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Suki, first, you are not getting smarter.

Next, this was a poll of young people. I specifically said that. Ireland is and all round drinking country, yet Australia is just going backwards with each generation. Wait until the current teen generation retires and their children become the next generation, then the country will be at the top of the list, I promise.

Australia also has massivly falling education test results.
That's true. The Australian population has a pretty low IQ (on average), however that is not what we're discussing and has nothing to do with alcohol.

You said the Australian youth was going to waste because they drink a lot, I'm only saying it happens everywhere that with each generartion that passes, people start drinking at a younger age than ever before in History.

I started to regularly drink at 15, nowadays it's not rare to see 13 year olds getting drunk in the parks on the weekend.

(#216 (permalink))
Old
Ronin4hire (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

09-21-2008, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suki View Post
That's true. The Australian population has a pretty low IQ (on average), however that is not what we're discussing and has nothing to do with alcohol.
At the risk of becoming a part of this retarded discussion you've got going with Tenchu. I'd like you to give me a link or something that supports this statistic you've given.
(#217 (permalink))
Old
Suki (Offline)
armed with a mind

09-21-2008, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin4hire View Post
At the risk of becoming a part of this retarded discussion you've got going with Tenchu. I'd like you to give me a link or something that supports this statistic you've given.
Sure.

Average IQ Map of the World

The Australian Aborigines are included as part of the Australian population, that's why it's lower than in other western countries. And by that I don't mean the Indigenous peoples are dumb in any way, they just haven't really developed their capabilities in the same way we have through compulsory education.

Australians are less Clever (lower IQ) than Other Nations!

Adele Horin

August 23, 2008

[from The Sydney Morning Herald]

A country that measures its worth in Olympic gold medals has too little to boast about. Australia likes to punch above its weight in sport. But it cares less about punching above its weight in other fields of endeavour. Australia's fall to fifth or sixth place on the gold medal tally behind countries with three to four times our population has spurred much breast-beating and the predictable call for more funding for elite sport.
But little outcry is heard over our failure to be a world-beater in, say, solar technology, or in any pursuit apart from being the world's best quarry.
Yet there is no reason we can't be like the Finns and produce the equivalent of the Nokia phone, the Swedes, who gave the world Ikea, the Netherlands with their classy Philips brand, or the Swiss with Nescafe coffee, Rolex watches and Nestle baby food. Economies much smaller than ours have produced clever, world-beating ideas and products that are household names around the globe.
Australia has low expectations of being a clever country yet high expectations of producing Olympic gold medallists. Before extra funds are poured into the Olympics arms race leading up to 2012, maybe it's time to rethink our sources of national pride.
Don't get me wrong: I like watching sport. I live with sport fanatics. I understand the tribal feeling that sets hearts racing when Australia wins a medal. Even in such peripheral sports as softball, which I last encountered in primary school, my patriotic heart swells with pride as we hit a home run.
But how much public money is a gold medal worth? In Beijing, each gold medal has cost Australia at least $50 million, says Kevin Norton, a professor of exercise science at the University of South Australia. Or, to put it another way,$12 million came out of the public purse for each medal of any colour. Now we're told these sums are a pittance compared with what is needed to maintain our ranking in London.
Australians, more than most, derive enormous pride from our national sporting achievements. Of 34 countries surveyed in 2004 by the International Social Survey Program, we ranked third - behind Venezuela and New Zealand - for our sense of pride in sporting achievements. In the US, democratic credentials, political influence, military power and scientific achievements were more important sources of pride than sport.
So it would be a brave politician to resist the calls for more sport funding. But brave they should be. Stephanie Rice made us all proud, but that fleeting feeling came with a $150 million price tag. Politicians may consider that a price worth paying for her three gold medals. It bought sport-mad Australians a lot of pleasure, and that can translate into votes.
But no one can pretend expenditure on elite athletes has broader public health benefits. After the record expenditure on them for the Sydney Olympics, Australians in general got fatter. And if further evidence is needed to debunk the link between Olympics success and mass sport participation, look at the disjunction between the US gold medal tally and the body mass index of its populace.
It is possible to be a middling Olympic competitor and a proud, healthy and clever nation. Ask the Canadians. At the time of writing, Canada, with more than 33 million people, was ranked 16th on the medal tally with three golds. Years ago the Canadian Government decided to spend more money on community sport to encourage mass participation, and less on its elite athletes. For the Sydney Olympics, Australia spent more than seven times as much on its team on a per capita basis than did Canada (to win only four times as many medals, which is not really efficient of us).

The pay-off for the Canadians is better health. Despite the pressures of sharing a border with bulging Americans, they have not gone to fat as fast as we have, Professor Norton says. Canadians have a higher life expectancy than Australians and have made huge strides in closing the gap between the health of indigenous and non-indigenous people. And for the record, the biggest source of pride to Canadians in 2004 was not sport but "the fair and equal treatment of all groups" in society.

Before Australian politicians get carried away with the claims of a "crisis in Australian sport" funding, there is another crisis that deserves immediate attention.

If we want to be clever and not just sporty, the crisis in university funding needs to be fixed. Australia has a respectable three universities in the world's top 100, with the University of Sydney (placed at 97) joining ANU (59) and Melbourne (73) this year. But they are well behind institutions from countries with much smaller populations - Switzerland (24) Denmark (45) and the Netherlands (47). And our old friend Canada is doing significantly better, with the University of Toronto ranked equal 24th and the University of British Columbia at 35th.

Australia can excel in more areas than sport if we spread the wealth and the kudos. Our little patriotic hearts might find more reasons to swell with pride.

(Australians are less Clever (lower IQ) than Other Nations! - Topix)

(#218 (permalink))
Old
Ronin4hire (Offline)

09-21-2008, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Suki, there is no reason to defend the aboriginies. They are less technologically capable than their part monkey counterparts, the homo erectus and neanderthal men. When they arived on Australia they actually went backwards in technology, and started forgetting shit rather than advancement.

People say the desert broke them. But, seriously, if white man can go from mule to rocket ship in less than 100 years how come they stuck with their stupidity when they colonized the prosperous east coast for 40,000 years?

No sense is made, they are dumb.
You're such and idiot. You do know how AVERAGES work right?

You do know that concerning INDIVIDUALS averages are bullshit... rather the range is what's important right?

You do know that your failure to understand how averages work makes YOU the stupid fuckwit and not the entire race of Aboriginal people right?

I mean seriously. Get an education. I suggest you begin with high school math.
(#219 (permalink))
Old
Suki (Offline)
armed with a mind

09-21-2008, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Suki, there is no reason to defend the aboriginies. They are less technologically capable than their part monkey counterparts, the homo erectus and neanderthal men. When they arived on Australia they actually went backwards in technology, and started forgetting shit rather than advancement.

People say the desert broke them. But, seriously, if white man can go from mule to rocket ship in less than 100 years how come they stuck with their stupidity when they colonized the prosperous east coast for 40,000 years?

No sense is made, they are dumb.
Because of reasons having to do with tradition. Maybe they don't want to be part of the colonized world and just want to be left alone and carry on living happily immersed in their culture. I'm pretty sure if the Mayan had foreseen that Columbus and his people were coming to implement a new way of life, they still would have fought for the sake of their culture.

This doesn't mean they're stupid and less capable of developing into a better society.

(#220 (permalink))
Old
Ronin4hire (Offline)

09-21-2008, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Have you ever met an aboriginy>?

You don't know shit. You think I don't know averages? Or would it be correct that you don't know the world?
Not only have I met an ABORIGINE... I can spell the word too!

I lived in England (I've also lived in the US and toured much of Europe and Canada) with an Aborigine who was actually in London teaching at a primary school.

And you say I don't know the world...
Closed Thread