JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Ronin4hire (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Just Japan? - 10-06-2008, 11:29 AM

I've found that many people who are interested in Japan are also interested in Asia in general whatever their reasons.

I'm interested to see what other countries in the area people are interested in and why?

OK I'll start

My broad interest in Asia stems from martial arts.

My particular interest in Japan stems from my interest in video games but has grown into an interest in Japanese culture, society and history and I am currently learning the language.

My particular interest in China stems from my interest in Kung fu movies and just being exposed to it (New Zealand has both a large naturalised and immigrant Chinese community like most of the modern world). It's growth and changing role in the world is also of interest to me.

My particular interest in Korea stems from my practicing of TaeKwonDo as a child which grew into an appreciation for Korean culture in general. I'm also interested in the North vs South situation.

Ok now your turn
(#2 (permalink))
Old
theAlphaDuck (Offline)
Banned

10-06-2008, 12:03 PM

Yea China is REALLY the be all and end all when it comes to Martial arts...

every other style is a derivative of Chinese Kung Fu...

which cam about due to an Indian monk....yet India does not have its own system...or mebe they do and its SO secret we dont even know it exists :P
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Ronin4hire (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

10-06-2008, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theAlphaDuck View Post
Yea China is REALLY the be all and end all when it comes to Martial arts...

every other style is a derivative of Chinese Kung Fu...

which cam about due to an Indian monk....yet India does not have its own system...or mebe they do and its SO secret we dont even know it exists :P
My knowledge of this subject is vague...

But from what I remember Chinese Kung Fu came from an Indian monk who taught the Chinese monks some advanced stretches and excercises which the monks gradually developed into fighting techniques.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
SGTOkinawa (Offline)
JF Regular

Wink 10-06-2008, 01:05 PM

Japan - I lived there 10+ years, my kids were born there, and I LOVE OKINAWA!

China - The Olympics were great, (saw it on TV) they have lots of people and I think the next big company to get there, (Like McD's did) will be doing really well. I want to visit China one day, ... some day.

Philippines - I like the people, very friendly, have a deep rich religious faith and can survive many bad experiences. I want to go back to PI to see the places I did not see last time.

Korea - Nice, and they know how to dress well, very kind people, interests are the shopping, and travel. I've got a friend there, he likes the countryside, I'm sure he know how to speak the language.

Thailand - Very neat, I like the people on the east side, west side were not so nice. Food is so/so but I like the natural look of Thailand, (Where I was) it was not all built up and paved over, still looks like it did years ago.

that is all for now, I hop to get to Singapore, Taiwan and more.

Peace!

SGT_Okinawa

U.S. Army Retired
38 years old
Married w/2 kids
Virginia, USA

(#5 (permalink))
Old
marrytin (Offline)
New to JF

10-06-2008, 01:40 PM

Let's roll up our sleeves.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
Suki (Offline)
armed with a mind

Send a message via MSN to Suki
10-06-2008, 04:50 PM

Thailand. Ever since I read The Beach by A. Garland I've been wanting to go there, it's got to be the closest to Paradise one can get on Earth.

everything is relative and contradictory ~
(#7 (permalink))
Old
Salvanas (Offline)
Great, just my luck.

10-06-2008, 05:04 PM

Although most areas of Asia pull me and interest me, Japan is the most appealing.

Allow me to explain how I came across my whole Japanese interest.

When I was 5, I used to have a great friend who I spent time with always. We were in-separable. She was Japanese, and she always said "I want to live in Japan when I'm older again!" And, due to me wanting to be with her always (Like children do) I went to my mum one day and said "Mum, when I grow up. I want to live in Japan!" She merely smiled, and nodded. I started to look closely at Japan whenever I saw it on the news or someway that way. I noticed it was beautiful, and it piqued my interest even more.

Now, when I was 6, my best friend moved back to Japan with her parents, and that was the last time I ever saw her again. Since that point, I've strived to live in Japan. The culture appeals to me greatly. I love the food. The music is amazing. I love the history, the language, the people.

Everything.

Now, I love the rest of Asia because I haven't had the chance to travel it and look much more into the history and culture.

Although, I've looked into the 'Three Kingdoms' era in China, which is one thing that interested me alot.

- “I've been lucky. I'll be lucky again.” -
(#8 (permalink))
Old
ThirdSight (Offline)
Bane of Stupidity

Send a message via AIM to ThirdSight
10-06-2008, 05:14 PM

Sadly, the rest of Asia doesn't appeal to me as much as Japan does, but obviously only because I've been exposed more to Japan than any other place.

Save for chinese food. Amazing.

-M@

How in the world do people reach 1,000+ posts?

Skadoosh.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
xxteacakez (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via AIM to xxteacakez Send a message via MSN to xxteacakez
10-06-2008, 05:41 PM

My interest in Japan isn't very amazing. I like how asian people look and where I used to live we rarely saw any of them. I ended up getting into Anime and Manga, and my mom traveled when she was my age which made me more interested in it. I'm your typical anime nerd, that was until I met a lot of foreign people on a game I play. Being interested in traveling, and majoring in languages I asked a lot about their home and eventually am at the point I am today. I've very interested in Vietnam, and Korea and hope to be traveling there within the next few years. It's easier for me to be interested in a country when I have someone who lived there talking to me.

Last edited by xxteacakez : 10-06-2008 at 06:30 PM.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
Jaydelart (Offline)
ジェイデラート

10-06-2008, 05:54 PM

My level of interest based on percentage: 100% being the highest; 1% being the lowest. Though, the countries that I list I have an interest in, nonetheless.

China (70%) - I have Chinese ancestors and am interested in learning more about my family's history and such. I also like the culture; Their very similar to Japan in certain aspects... which, I guess, is to be expected.

Thailand (35%) - I'll be honest, if it wasn't for Muay Thai and the language, I probably wouldn't be as interested in Thailand as I am. I don't know much about the country, however -- only a few scattered details; nothing significant or particularly reliable. Though, I do hear their food can be good.

(South) Korea (60%) - Hip-hop, TKD, Choi Bae-dal (최배달; 崔倍達(?)), and the Korean war is what got me interested in the country. Again, they're similar to Japan in some aspects, which helps. I have even considered learning their language... But not yet. 'Need to take it one step at a time.

Philippines (65%) - As well as having ancestors from Europe and China, my family also has significant history in the Philippines. My knowledge of the country is fairly limited, though.
... But I do know, at least, that I like a lot of their food.

Indonesia (45%) - Once again, for basic reasons: The food, the land and the general culture.

There're probably others.