(#1 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

03-30-2009, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshAussie View Post
Apparently it's.. us.. lol

Ever met an Aussie abroad? What was your impression?
I had a couple Aussie buddies in Japan. They definitely did things one way: their own. Good guys, though. I knew some Kiwis, too. One was deported after following a Japanese girl into the bathroom and taking pictures of her over the top of the stall while she relieved herself. Not a smart dude. Another was a former player in the All-Blacks that drank a bottle of JD every night. Good drinking buddy, though.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
LuckyLuck (Offline)
Transform Tomorrow

Send a message via MSN to LuckyLuck
03-30-2009, 06:15 AM

I forgive you. Australians are always so friendly and fun. They know how to have a good time.

The path to equality is a long road to travel.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
03-30-2009, 06:32 AM

I`ve met a few great southern Australians... And a few absolutely awful and appalling northern Australians. No awful southerners, and no great northerners.

Have no idea whether that represents a real trend, or just my luck, but...

I also have yet to meet an awful New Zealander so far in Japan, so I am siding that the further south the nicer people.

I was thinking cooler weather correlation, but the absolute most awful and horrible person I have ever met in Japan was from Canada. They may have been a fluke, but who knows.

Best to judge people by their actual behavior.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
LuckyLuck (Offline)
Transform Tomorrow

Send a message via MSN to LuckyLuck
03-30-2009, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyororin View Post
Best to judge people by their actual behavior.
That is very true.

The path to equality is a long road to travel.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Jaydelart (Offline)
ジェイデラート

03-30-2009, 07:25 AM

Ah, I miss Queensland.

I know Aussies generally have a playful kind of attitude (I'm an Aussie), so I can imagine them acting up, being cheeky in a foreign country.

The Canadians I've met have left a good impression on me. From my experience, they can be fairly bunt, but not necessarily in a bad way. It's all cool as long as you can understand what they mean.

I have to say, the worst foreigners I've met were Chinese and Iraqi. Though, I think the word 'worst' is misleading, because I did somewhat understand their attitudes. Their behavior towards people was pretty bad, nevertheless:

The Chinese guy was snobby and sarcastic. I guess since I was chatting up his sister, he got a little protective. (Ok...) Maybe in this case, my personal experience holds less value -- maybe he disliked me personally -- but based on observation, he was generally rude towards others also.

As for the Iraqi, he was fairly average... except for the fact that he got angry and bossy very quickly. I don't think he intended to come off as an *sshole, but he did.

With all this said, however, I know enough to only judge them individually. Unless I sense a trend (given I meet a lot of foreigners), I wouldn't base my opinion of a country solely upon my experiences with only a hand full of people.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
03-30-2009, 07:26 AM

Don`t get me wrong - I wasn`t meaning to say Northern Australians were awful people. It was mostly a bit of joking...
But my personal experience with Australians in Japan has been just so - Great southerners, horrible northerners.

I`ve been to Australia (Flew into Cairns, but rented a car and got out of tourist hell ASAP), and found that those in the countryside of northern Australia were absolutely wonderful. We visited a few farms, stopped in some small towns, etc - and even well off the beaten path people were extremely welcoming and helpful toward us.

I`d say it`s all been my luck - either that, or only the very very worst Australians from the north choose to come to Japan. (The very worst Australian I met in Japan was a girl from Queensland. The absolute greatest was a woman from Melbourne. )

Forgot to mention what they did;
Just general arrogance, obvious displays of disgust toward anything "Japanese", insulting me for ever choosing to live in the country... And just generally irritating personalities. It would be hard to put it down to one specific thing, as they were all different people.

Other than the one horrific Canadian I have met, all the others were normal people with good and bad sides. Some great people, some not so great, but none so horrible that it made a huge impression... Other than that one.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.

Last edited by Nyororin : 03-30-2009 at 07:30 AM.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
Ronin4hire (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

03-30-2009, 07:52 AM

The thing that annoys me about Australians in particular is their obnoxious brand of patriotism. It's similar to American patriotism.

Not that all Aussies and Americans do this of course and that people of other countries are not guilty of this at all... but it's definitely something that I've noticed a lot more in Aussies and Americans than people of other countries.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
Ohad (Offline)
JF Regular

03-30-2009, 11:59 AM

I am quite sure Israelis are the world's worst tourists. The Israeli tourists are famous in Cyprus and Poland for destroying possession, stealing and, in one case, for the spread their excrement (yep ) on a hotel's room walls.

(#9 (permalink))
Old
Jaydelart (Offline)
ジェイデラート

03-30-2009, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin4hire View Post
The thing that annoys me about Australians in particular is their obnoxious brand of patriotism. It's similar to American patriotism.

Not that all Aussies and Americans do this of course and that people of other countries are not guilty of this at all... but it's definitely something that I've noticed a lot more in Aussies and Americans than people of other countries.
Hehe... There's nothing wrong with being proud of where you come from.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
Aniki (Offline)
JF's Road Roller

03-30-2009, 05:04 PM

I do not wish to agree with the article that Aussies are the worst tourists in the world. If you'd check in google you'll find several sites where each site tells about tourists from different countries as the worst tourists in the world.
Each time a survey on this subject is done, different people win the worst tourist award.
In 2002 an online travel service Expedia made a survey which rated the British as the worst tourists in the world. And in 2008 the same Expedia made a survey where the French, Indians, and the Chinese where rated as worlds worst tourists, while the Japanese, British and Germans as the best. Although the survey was done by the same service the 2008 survey had different categories then the one in 2002. Also, Aussies aren't even mentioned in either of two.
And I bet I could find a similar article about the British in comparison with the one JoshAussie posted only with worse numbers in it.

To judge from my personal experience I'd say British are the most annoying, since they're the only ones I hear on news for making all kinds of trouble usually for making riots in bars or for innapropriate behaviour in hotels or on the streets. In summer my city gets so filled with tourists that everyday you hear somebody speaking in a different language. Most of them are Germans and Nords, and I never had any trouble with them.
But my friend once had an awful experience with American tourists. One time she was in a bus standing next to two young girls and she overheard their conversation which was quite offensive. When she came out of the bus she was stopped by them and was asked for some directions in English. After hearing what they where talking about in the bus she pretended that she doesn't understand English. While one was still trying get some directions from her and the other one was insulting while looking her in the eyes. After that, her opinion on tourists changed the other way around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydelart View Post
Hehe... There's nothing wrong with being proud of where you come from.
Of course not, but only to a point, when people start to brag about it.