JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#21 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
06-18-2009, 05:31 PM

I was impressed by the potential for the technology.

The potential. Potential is always impressive - the actual implementation is what matters in the end. My feeling at this point is that the videos were what they dream of doing and are hoping they can pull off. Reality is hardly ever so sweet.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#22 (permalink))
Old
seiki (Offline)
aww fiegal

06-18-2009, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyororin View Post
I was impressed by the potential for the technology.

The potential. Potential is always impressive - the actual implementation is what matters in the end. My feeling at this point is that the videos were what they dream of doing and are hoping they can pull off. Reality is hardly ever so sweet.
I fully agree. It seems too good.
(#23 (permalink))
Old
iPhantom (Offline)
is a pretty cool guy

Send a message via AIM to iPhantom Send a message via MSN to iPhantom Send a message via Skype™ to iPhantom
06-18-2009, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
Except for the fact that the Sony motion thing doesn't exist yet.
YouTube - Sony Motion Controller E3 Tech Demo

It does exist. It was in the sony E3 conference and it was live.

Quote:
Since when is it immature to talk about pudding? Seriously, do you know the meaning of mature?
(#24 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

06-18-2009, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPhantom View Post
YouTube - Sony Motion Controller E3 Tech Demo

It does exist. It was in the sony E3 conference and it was live.
I saw it, what I mean is, it is not available for consumers. It is still in R&D.
(#25 (permalink))
Old
MissMisa (Offline)
Fashion, Games + Art Mod.

06-18-2009, 06:57 PM

iPhantom, you seem to have some Nintendo grudge for some unknown reason and I'm not entirely sure why you are comparing technology that's been on the market for like 3 years to something that's not even finished yet.

In any case, as I already said previously my concerns are with the voice recognition system which is far from perfect at this point in time. I'm pretty sure it would struggle with my accent. It was pre-recorded, so we have no idea if it actually works. It could have been set up to appear to work perfectly. If it worked so amazing like they showed, then I'm pretty sure Microsoft would have demonstrated it live. They are flashy and like to pull out the big guns.

So until I'm playing it with my own hands, I remain skeptical, but I am pleased they are going in this direction and indeed if it does work as they say it does I will be very impressed.
(#26 (permalink))
Old
seiki (Offline)
aww fiegal

06-18-2009, 08:56 PM

I agree with missmisa. I played a game that was supposed to be voice controlled granted it was a couple years ago and it was not that good. It was a mystery shooter type game and it was highly inacurate.
(#27 (permalink))
Old
iPhantom (Offline)
is a pretty cool guy

Send a message via AIM to iPhantom Send a message via MSN to iPhantom Send a message via Skype™ to iPhantom
06-18-2009, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMisa View Post
iPhantom, you seem to have some Nintendo grudge for some unknown reason and I'm not entirely sure why you are comparing technology that's been on the market for like 3 years to something that's not even finished yet.

In any case, as I already said previously my concerns are with the voice recognition system which is far from perfect at this point in time. I'm pretty sure it would struggle with my accent. It was pre-recorded, so we have no idea if it actually works. It could have been set up to appear to work perfectly. If it worked so amazing like they showed, then I'm pretty sure Microsoft would have demonstrated it live. They are flashy and like to pull out the big guns.

So until I'm playing it with my own hands, I remain skeptical, but I am pleased they are going in this direction and indeed if it does work as they say it does I will be very impressed.
Wii Motion Plus was just released. I'm comparing what they showed us to E3. Sony's Motion was far much better and it will be out very soon... it is already in developer's hand. And before somebody comes saying it is a ripoff from Wii, no, it was in the works since the day EyeToy came, way before Wii's controller.

I don't have a grudge against Nintendo at all. I was disappointed big time by their E3.

Plus like I said Natal is still at early stage of development... too early to make any judgment on it.

Quote:
Since when is it immature to talk about pudding? Seriously, do you know the meaning of mature?
(#28 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

06-18-2009, 11:15 PM

I think it is hard to compare the big three at E3 because they all were showing things at different stages of development. Wii MotionPlus made it's debut at E3 2008, and it took a full year for it to hit shelves. In 2009 they showed it again, but this time just weeks before launch. As a consumer, I notice that.

PS3 had an impressive demonstration with a lot of potential, but the controllers haven't been designed yet.

Natal is indeed the most impressive, but things like Milo are still concepts. Who knows when we will see anything like that.
(#29 (permalink))
Old
iPhantom (Offline)
is a pretty cool guy

06-19-2009, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshAussie View Post
I agree that Natal was the most impressive - by far.

I did go and watch the PS3 motion thing iphantom posted and aside from the "better" graphics PS3 and 360 have compared to the Wii I honestly didnt see anything new - I dont know if anyone else noticed but at no stage in that movie (Im mainly talking about the fps now) did he turn in a 360 motion, all i saw was the basic Wii concept with PS3's ability to produce better graphics.
The Sony Motion Controller also use a motion sensor but it is augmented with visual information fed by a camera that can see a tracker (the glowy end of the remote). The presence of the motion sensor in Sony's product is significant because that's what propelled the visual motion tracking from "relatively bad" to "really cool". Why? Because optical (color) tracking alone was simply not good enough. But when combined with a motion sensor, it actually surpasses the Wii Motion Plus.

Thanks to the internal sensor, the Sony Motion Controller knows exactly what orientation/acceleration it currently has but it also knows exactly where it is in space and what kind of motion the controller is really doing in the real world. Unlike the Nintendo solution, Sony has much less "guess work" to do because it can "see" what's going on, although we think that games will still have to make some assumption about the current activity.

On top of that, it will be available on Spring 2010. I predict games from Wii being ported to PS3. The only problem of PS3 is the price... and buying a PS3 + and expensive controller isn't the best idea. Everybody was looking forward for a price cut by Sony on E3 but it really disappointed everyone.

Quote:
(#30 (permalink))
Old
SakuraSan (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via MSN to SakuraSan Send a message via Skype™ to SakuraSan
06-19-2009, 08:06 AM

I hope project natal is good and not another let down like the dreaded eye toy... and the wii.