JF Regular

As Europe concerns Asia - 07-05-2009, 08:35 PM

Is rather afraid, does not understand and looks down, it seems to me
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Aniki (Offline)
JF's Road Roller

07-05-2009, 09:57 PM

Can anyone explain me what this thread is about, because I'm absolutely clueless on what the OP is trying say here.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
geeeeoffff (Offline)
New to JF

07-05-2009, 09:59 PM

it appears that OP is saying that he believes europeans look down on and do not understand Asians.

but, i'm not sure why OP is writing that here.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
ozkai (Offline)
X Kyoto

07-05-2009, 11:28 PM

I think he or she is saying that it seems that Europe looks down on Asians.

Many Asian people also think this.

But then again, some Asian people look down on other country nationalities, so all in all, It's a fare game.

I guess it's an insecurity thing with some cultures whilst other's feel more confident.. God bloody knows why.

Cheers - Oz
(#5 (permalink))
Old
AlexReal (Offline)
JF Regular

07-06-2009, 11:05 AM

Sorry for my English. I wished to tell, that Europe does not understand Asia and will not understand. Culture etc. I had to meet opinion of Europeans, that they more intellectual and cultural. It was, fortunately, only on the Internet.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
Ronin4hire (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

07-06-2009, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozkai View Post

I guess it's an insecurity thing with some cultures whilst other's feel more confident.. God bloody knows why.
I would say it's due to how nations see themselves. The historical narrative, how they define themselves etc. of a particular nation says a lot about the general psychology of the people of that nation with regard to their identity and how they percieve other nations.

This idea that Europeans misunderstand and look down upon Asians is a bit exaggerated. I mean it's not hard to believe that it exists and that it is a relatively commonly held belief (My guess would be that this belief is a remnant of attitudes held during times of European Imperialism and colonialism)..... but I think that it is not a belief held by the majority of young people in this day and age. Furthermore it is an attitude that seems to be dying out.. and has died quickly over the last hundred years or so.

(Parts are bolded in order to avoid being misunderstood)

Last edited by Ronin4hire : 07-06-2009 at 02:31 PM.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
komitsuki (Offline)

07-06-2009, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexReal View Post
that Europe does not understand Asia and will not understand. Culture etc.
All I can think of

Quote:
"So long as western people imagine that there only exists a single type of humanity, that there is only one 'civilization', at different stages of development, no mutual understanding will be possible. The truth is that there are many civilizations, developing along very different lines, and that, among these, that of the modern West is strangely exceptional, as some of its characteristics show. Today not everyone would agree to the concept of the "bankruptcy of this civilization", but the symptoms are there and while trends of this kind go on over a long period, they tend to accelerate towards the end of a cycle." -René Guénon
He said this in a mundane spiritual context, regarding civilization like a living and breathing life form with emotions. But we can infer how Western culture works out today.

Could it because of the Hegelian thoughts?

JapanForum's semi-resident amateur linguist.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
Sinestra (Offline)
ショ ン

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
07-06-2009, 04:01 PM

How many people actually leave the nest of their own country and visit others? From my experience people who have traveled to other nations and experienced other cultures do not have such extreme notions about other cultures and countries. A person is generally open minded and understanding people are panicking judgmental beings. Experience is and knowledge is the key people fear what they dont understand and these feelings more often than not turn to hatred and bigotry

(#9 (permalink))
Old
AlexReal (Offline)
JF Regular

07-06-2009, 07:45 PM

I am glad, that only to me there was such point of view and I liked your answers. Thanks.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
Ronin4hire (Offline)

07-07-2009, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by komitsuki View Post
He said this in a mundane spiritual context, regarding civilization like a living and breathing life form with emotions. But we can infer how Western culture works out today.

Could it because of the Hegelian thoughts?
I'm curious....

Quote:
Today not everyone would agree to the concept of the "bankruptcy of this civilization", but the symptoms are there and while trends of this kind go on over a long period, they tend to accelerate towards the end of a cycle."
What does this part of the quote mean? I mean I'm not really sure what he means by "bankruptcy of this civilisation" nor do I understand the cycle he's speaking of.

Also what are Hegelian thoughts?