LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
mercedesjin (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-09-2009, 03:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bELyVIS View Post
I didn't say you were arguing. But many whites, hispanics, asians, etc. have all been found guilty by juries of all races. It's just this guys tough luck. If he is truly innocent, an appeal will show this. I once was on a jury(different races) that convicted a white guy and a black guy for armed robbery. No one mentioned color and I just listened to the evidence and we found them guilty. They got 10 years no parole. Later we found out that they just got paroled for the same crime. We made the right decision.
If this guy is innocent, I'm sure he'll get out.
I agree. It's possible for anyone of any race to be convicted of a crime by a jury of all races. It's happened. I also believe you when you say that no one brought up race from your own experience. However, historically, this certainly wasn't the case - and today, there are still cases that reflect the clear injustice shown towards black people, latino/a people, asian people, etc. Jena 6, anyone?

I feel like we're moving in the right direction - where soon, no one will have to mention race - and racist convictions won't exist. However, until then, they do still exist unfortunately.

LOVE: pass it on
(#12 (permalink))
Old
darksyndrem (Offline)
Banned

Send a message via MSN to darksyndrem
07-09-2009, 03:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedesjin View Post
Er. Okay. I don't want this to get personal, I don't want to talk about your everyday life and views - but even this example seems to be slightly prejudiced against the black race. You just said that it turns out that they were joking. So why, I ask, did you immediately think that they were going "jump" you? Why were you so scared? Why did you think that this particular group of students would send you to the hospital? Why do you think that these students thought that they were better than you?
The reason I immediately thought they were going to "jump" me, is because the first thing that happened, was this random guy that I don't even know comes up from behind me, turns me around and starts pushing me back eventually pushing me up to a wall of lockers, and keeps pushing me...he started to turn me around and looking through my backpack yelling at me the whole time...I didn't want to push back because all the black people at my school are so prone to fighting, and I knew what would happen if I got in a fight...that's when some of the other guys came up and started doing the same things, and shortly after the bell ring and they just walked away.

The reason I think they thought they were better than me, is just in the fact they would do that...I mean really, it's just in their act, I don't really know how to say it tbh
(#13 (permalink))
Old
mercedesjin (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-09-2009, 03:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darksyndrem View Post
The reason I immediately thought they were going to "jump" me, is because the first thing that happened, was this random guy that I don't even know comes up from behind me, turns me around and starts pushing me back eventually pushing me up to a wall of lockers, and keeps pushing me...he started to turn me around and looking through my backpack yelling at me the whole time...I didn't want to push back because all the black people at my school are so prone to fighting, and I knew what would happen if I got in a fight...that's when some of the other guys came up and started doing the same things, and shortly after the bell ring and they just walked away.

The reason I think they thought they were better than me, is just in the fact they would do that...I mean really, it's just in their act, I don't really know how to say it tbh
Okay. First, I want to suggest that you don't make generalizations like that. Also, back to the original paragraph, the statement "the black people around here apparently think they're a lot better then white people (or maybe they're like that with everyone) just because of their skin color" was made. That's also a generalization. So, you know, statements like that aren't the best.

If you don't know why you think a certain way, then maybe it's best that you think more about it until you figure out the reason why.

I'll have to take your word for it that you were treated violently, and I'm sorry that it happened to you.

(#14 (permalink))
Old
darksyndrem (Offline)
Banned

07-09-2009, 04:05 AM

Quote:
Okay. First, I want to suggest that you don't make generalizations like that. Also, back to the original paragraph, the statement "the black people around here apparently think they're a lot better then white people (or maybe they're like that with everyone) just because of their skin color" was made. That's also a generalization. So, you know, statements like that aren't the best.

If you don't know why you think a certain way, then maybe it's best that you think more about it until you figure out the reason why.

I'll have to take your word for it that you were treated violently, and I'm sorry that it happened to you.
OKay sorry, I do understand that not all black people are the same, but the majority of them (in my own experience) is what I mean by that....again, sorry.

And, I don't think you understand what I was saying there. It's not that I don't know why I think a certain way, it's just, it's something that I can't explain to you, without you seeing these people for yourself, that's all.

Don't be, I'm not looking for sympathy. And with all these responses and everything that's being said, I've gotten a little bit off track....what I was really trying to get at first, is white people aren't the only ones that are being racist against blacks, and hispanics, and there are A LOT of blacks, and hispanics, that are racist against whites.
(#15 (permalink))
Old
baghead92 (Offline)
New to JF

07-09-2009, 06:56 AM

.....wow
I didnt think it would start an argument...
Oh well
(#16 (permalink))
Old
Megabyte117 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-09-2009, 04:24 PM

That's terrible. But as others have said before, members of other races have been convicted of crimes. If this man is innocent, he will likely be found so in an appeal.

Mercedesjin, seems like you go out of your way to start arguments. Clearly darksyndrem was simply sharing his experiences, but you're nitpicking his every little statement.
(#17 (permalink))
Old
mercedesjin (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-09-2009, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megabyte117 View Post
That's terrible. But as others have said before, members of other races have been convicted of crimes. If this man is innocent, he will likely be found so in an appeal.

Mercedesjin, seems like you go out of your way to start arguments. Clearly darksyndrem was simply sharing his experiences, but you're nitpicking his every little statement.
We were arguing?

I asked darksyndrem to share his/her experiences. I asked why he/she had certain views on their experience. I pointed out that it's not the best to make generalizations. I said that I'm sorry he/she had to experience being violently pushed.

Where the argument?

(#18 (permalink))
Old
darksyndrem (Offline)
Banned

07-09-2009, 05:50 PM

Quote:
We were arguing?

I asked darksyndrem to share his/her experiences. I asked why he/she had certain views on their experience. I pointed out that it's not the best to make generalizations. I said that I'm sorry he/she had to experience being violently pushed.

Where the argument?
I wouldn't say we were arguing that much either but...with the generalizations.....that was a bit nitpicking, only because it didn't have to do with what we werre talking about (imo).

By the way.....on that last one....were you making fun of me??

oh and I'm' a he..just btw
(#19 (permalink))
Old
ecwsickboy (Offline)
JF Regular

07-09-2009, 05:51 PM

Quote:
lolz................

Life of distructive taste
I Choose
to walk amongst the waste
it was your heart...
lost in the dark
call off the chase...

Last edited by Miyavifan : 07-09-2009 at 08:49 PM.
(#20 (permalink))
Old
mercedesjin (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-09-2009, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darksyndrem View Post
I wouldn't say we were arguing that much either but...with the generalizations.....that was a bit nitpicking, only because it didn't have to do with what we werre talking about (imo).

By the way.....on that last one....were you making fun of me??

It's not nitpicking to me. If someone told me that all black people like to fight, I would most certainly correct that generalization. I'm sure you would be upset if I made the statement, "All white people are racist." As one human to another, I think it's important to respect one another by not making generalizations about groups of people.

I wasn't making fun of you. Why would I? I think it's terrible if anyone gets attacked. What I did say, though, is that I have to take your word for it. I wasn't there, so I don't know if it was a playful shove on the shoulder or as violent as you described.