Originally Posted by alanX View Post
Agreed.
I'm with you on that one.
(#122 (permalink))
Old
xYinniex (Offline)
Quit yo' jibber jabber!

07-21-2009, 02:50 AM

I was bullied when i was a kid, but i never really took conscious notice of it. >.>

Nan; QFT. =)

"I'm sorry, but i must have given you the impression that I actually care about your opinions"
(#123 (permalink))
Old
bELyVIS (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-21-2009, 03:03 AM

I was bullied when I was a kid until the age of nine years old. At that point my parents decided that I'd had enough and enrolled me in a karate class. Not only was I able to learn how to defend myself, but I also learned how to try to talk my way out of trouble before fighting. Of course after being bullied for many years people thought I was still an easy target. One kid that had picked on me for several years decided he would not listen to my reasoning and tried to beat me up. I don't remember what actually happened in the fight, but I ended up breaking his leg so badly that he was in a body cast for a year. His parents tried to sue me but it was thrown out of court since there were too many witnesses to him starting the fight. After everyone saw what happened to him I never had to fight ever again.

The advice I would give to anyone who is being bullied is to fight back as hard as you can and when others see that she will not put up with it that will end it.

The World's only Belly Dancing Elvis Impersonator!
(#124 (permalink))
Old
NanteNa (Offline)
sixth gun.

Send a message via Skype™ to NanteNa
07-21-2009, 11:11 AM

bELyVIS@ wtf? Are you encouraging every victim to learn karate and beat their bullier's ass? I thought one of the ground rules of learning karate is to swear never to use it for own benefit unless you're actually in a deadly situation. As karate is pretty hardcore.. O_O

Yin@ I'm a foreigner. O_O I don't understand the QFT-part, noona.

[ <-- Jordan's heart! \(Ò_ó)/ ]
Follow me on TUMBLR
"Well if a chick has a problem with the way I conduct myself I'd draw the bitch
a map to the nearest exit and stamp "fuck off" on her forehead."
- Pot Roast
(#125 (permalink))
Old
Salvanas (Offline)
Great, just my luck.

07-21-2009, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NanteNa View Post
bELyVIS@ wtf? Are you encouraging every victim to learn karate and beat their bullier's ass? I thought one of the ground rules of learning karate is to swear never to use it for own benefit unless you're actually in a deadly situation. As karate is pretty hardcore.. O_O
I'd actually have to agree with what bELyVIS there. He let the fight come to him, and then dealt with the situation which made sure it never happened again.

I'd tell my kids to do the same thing.

- “I've been lucky. I'll be lucky again.” -
(#126 (permalink))
Old
NanteNa (Offline)
sixth gun.

07-21-2009, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salvanas View Post

I'd actually have to agree with what bELyVIS there. He let the fight come to him, and then dealt with the situation which made sure it never happened again.

I'd tell my kids to do the same thing.
There's a difference between fighting back fairly and using freaking karate.

Besides, I don't think the bully is the main problem. The people standing around WATCHING the incidents are the issue. If people stood up and told the bully to buggar off, he/she would come together fast and leave whoever alone.

Follow me on TUMBLR
- Pot Roast
(#127 (permalink))
Old
Tenchu (Offline)
-

07-21-2009, 11:56 AM

Quote:
There's a difference between fighting back fairly and using freaking karate.
What is it? Using martial arts to defeat any attacker is fair.

If someone attacks me, they deserve whatever I choose to give them. If people don't want to deal with the consequences of initiating a violent scenario (which are pretty limitless consequences) then they should keep their hands in their pockets.

You cannot go up to someone just because you've got your own insecurities and start on them, then complain they over reacted if you end up in hospital for 2 years and a wheelchair for 70.

The eternal Saint is calling, through the ages she has told. The ages have not listened; the will of faith has grown old…

For forever she will wander, for forever she withholds; the Demon King is on his way, you’d best not be learned untold…
(#128 (permalink))
Old
NanteNa (Offline)
sixth gun.

07-21-2009, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenchu View Post
What is it? Using martial arts to defeat any attacker is fair.
At SCHOOL? Wtf is wrong with this world?
Let's say about 3% of school students know martial arts in whatever kind. That means 97% don't. Is that fair, you think? It's fine to kick your bullier's ass, but breaking his leg causing him to sit in a wheelchair for a year is just not cool. Doing that made people FEAR you, not respect you for standing up for yourself.

Follow me on TUMBLR
- Pot Roast
(#129 (permalink))
Old
Tenchu (Offline)
-

07-21-2009, 12:12 PM

Quote:
At SCHOOL? Wtf is wrong with this world?
Let's say about 3% of school students know martial arts in whatever kind. That means 97% don't. Is that fair, you think? It's fine to kick your bullier's ass, but breaking his leg causing him to sit in a wheelchair for a year is just not cool. Doing that made people FEAR you, not respect you for standing up for yourself.
Sometimes fear and respect are similar things. Or, at least, they should be.

Bullying someone for no good reason is more wrong than retaliation. A bully needs to learn the meaning of the word "consequence" more than a victim needs to learn the meaning of the word "restraint".

In the end, a victim who only ever uses force in retaliation will never hurt the innocent, yet a bully who does not know consequence; there is no telling how far they could go.

The eternal Saint is calling, through the ages she has told. The ages have not listened; the will of faith has grown old…

For forever she will wander, for forever she withholds; the Demon King is on his way, you’d best not be learned untold…
(#130 (permalink))
Old
NanteNa (Offline)
sixth gun.

07-21-2009, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenchu View Post
Sometimes fear and respect are similar things. Or, at least, they should be.

In the end, a victim who only ever uses force in retaliation will never hurt the innocent, yet a bully who does not know consequence; there is no telling how far they could go.
I don't agree with the first part there, but you got me on the last one. There are no limits to how far a bully would go. Sadly.

Follow me on TUMBLR
- Pot Roast