JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
alanX (Offline)
The Psychedelic Traveler

Send a message via Skype™ to alanX
Nagasaki seeks world ban on nukes. - 08-11-2009, 06:22 AM

First off, I would like to say that I'm not the biggest fan of our current president, Obama. However, I am on his side regarding his views on this issue.

There's no point in copying & pasting the entire article over here, so I'll just provide a direct link: Nagasaki seeks world ban on nukes | The Japan Times Online

What are your thoughts on this, and what do you think it could lead to?

Go!

猿も木から落ちる
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Quailboy (Offline)
Been Here Too Long

Send a message via AIM to Quailboy Send a message via MSN to Quailboy Send a message via Yahoo to Quailboy Send a message via Skype™ to Quailboy
08-11-2009, 06:29 AM

I'm going to have to agree with Obama on this one, even thoguh I really dont think he is the greatest Prez we've had >.>

You haven't dug your hole too deep until it's killed you

Last edited by Quailboy : 08-11-2009 at 07:02 AM.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
alanX (Offline)
The Psychedelic Traveler

08-11-2009, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quailboy View Post
Yeah I know, on a more serious note.
I'm going to have to agree with Obama on this one, even thoguh I really dont think he is the greatest Prez we've had >.>
Do you think the world will ever be "nuke free?"

猿も木から落ちる
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Quailboy (Offline)
Been Here Too Long

Send a message via AIM to Quailboy Send a message via MSN to Quailboy Send a message via Yahoo to Quailboy Send a message via Skype™ to Quailboy
08-11-2009, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanX View Post
Nuke free as in Atom Bomb free? Or Nuke Free as in ???

(#5 (permalink))
Old
alanX (Offline)
The Psychedelic Traveler

08-11-2009, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quailboy View Post
Nuke free as in Atom Bomb free? Or Nuke Free as in ???
Nuke, as in "Nuclear Warhead."

Or, yes, the Atomic Bomb.

Anyways, my short answer is "no."

猿も木から落ちる
(#6 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

08-11-2009, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanX View Post
Pandora's Box has been opened. I don't think we will ever be nuke-free.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
Quailboy (Offline)
Been Here Too Long

08-11-2009, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
Pandora's Box has been opened. I don't think we will ever be nuke-free.
How would I find such a box and how would I know that it has been opened?

(#8 (permalink))
Old
samurai007 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-11-2009, 07:01 AM

It's completely unrealistic, IMO. Let's say America and the west disarm. The Russians, North Korea, Iran, China, Pakistan, etc will almost definitely keep some or all of their nukes, which means there is no longer any balance of power and M.A.D. While it's an unenviable position to be in, we are, in a way, the world's policeman, and disarming the police while not being able to totally and permanently disarm the criminals is a recipe for disaster. Only a fool would believe we should really disarm. The nuclear cat is long out of the bag, and there's no putting it back in anymore... too many people and nations know how to build nukes now that disarming would be suicide.

JET Program, 1996-98, Wakayama-ken, Hashimoto-shi

Link to pictures from my time in Japan
(#9 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

08-11-2009, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samurai007 View Post
It's completely unrealistic, IMO. Let's say America and the west disarm. The Russians, North Korea, Iran, China, Pakistan, etc will almost definitely keep some or all of their nukes, which means there is no longer any balance of power and M.A.D. While it's an unenviable position to be in, we are, in a way, the world's policeman, and disarming the police while not being able to totally and permanently disarm the criminals is a recipe for disaster. Only a fool would believe we should really disarm. The nuclear cat is long out of the bag, and there's no putting it back in anymore... too many people and nations know how to build nukes now that disarming would be suicide.
I agree with this, although I agree with the sentiments of Pres. Obama and the Mayor of Nagasaki.

We have gone 64 years without one of these devices being used in an act of aggression, and I hope that trend continues for as long as humanly possible.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
Tenchu (Offline)
-

08-11-2009, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samurai007 View Post
All people who have nukes are prepared to mass murder. They're all criminals. Don't expect anyone to recieve your "world police" view too well. That's half the reason some countries want nukes to begin with...

Anyway, in this world, I don't think it'll happen. Not while everyone's still fighting for power and money. All countries with nukes have to become friends before anyone of them should be expected to disarm. This includes the US President shaking hands with Iran and N. Korea, yes.

It's stupid to expect others to disarm when you won't.

The eternal Saint is calling, through the ages she has told. The ages have not listened; the will of faith has grown old…

For forever she will wander, for forever she withholds; the Demon King is on his way, you’d best not be learned untold…