LinkBack Thread Tools
(#41 (permalink))
Old
Sangetsu (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

12-03-2009, 02:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
Really? Interesting that the first passage of Northwest Passage wasn't until 1906 after many tried and failed, or even worse, died (like Sir John Franklin).

The first to make it through the ice was Roald Amundsen in his ship "Gjoa."
Yes, mistake on my part, Amundsen was the first in 1906, but the passage has been open before.

In a letter from the President of the Royal Society
to the British Admiralty reports;

"It will without doubt have come to your Lordship's
knowledge that a considerable change of climate
inexplicable at present to us must have taken place
in the Circumpolar Regions, by which the severity
of the cold that has for centuries past enclosed
the seas in the high northern latitudes in an
impenetrable barrier of ice has been during the
last two years greatly abated… This, with
information of a similar nature derived from other
sources; the unusual abundance of ice islands that
have during the last two summers been brought by
currents from Davies Straights into the Atlantic."

The report sounds like something written in the year 2000, but it was actually written in 1817.
(#42 (permalink))
Old
Sangetsu (Offline)

12-03-2009, 03:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryzorian View Post
Yes, but it was still doable. Historically this planet has been much warmer even a few hundred years ago.

As to "Climatologist"..Come on, how accurate are weathermen really? Yet you would disbelieve accounts against Global warming by actual scientists, who are from advanced fields of study..with actual evidence taken over decades?

As I mentioned before, this whole "climate change" BS is simply designed to bring about global government and destroy national sovereignty. It's also designed to destroy industrialized nations economically and "redistribute" their wealth to poor third world nations, many of wich don't contribute anything but Pirates..like Somolia.
The intentions are not all bad, it should be said that lowering emissions is a goal which we should be working to. Pollution is not a good thing for anyone, regardless of the country in which you live. What is left unsaid is that at the current rate of consumption, renewable energy will become the standard, and not the exception not too far in the future. No one had to ban horses in the 20th century to take them off the streets, people merely moved onto the newer, more efficient methods of transportation.

But, the driving force behind Climate Change is political. Politicians do not spend millions to get themselves elected to live on the small salary which the job pays, and they certainly don't do it because they feel a need to do good for their country. They do it because of the perks and power that the job offers, and they spend the majority of their time working on staying in office. The needs of the people are secondary.

In order to mask this obvious fact, politicians need to keep the people distracted. The usual tool for such distraction is fear. Fear that "the end of world is drawing near" has been used since the beginning of man, by generations of religious leaders and politicians. This sham always works because, like it or not, most of the world's people are incredibly ignorant. People want to believe what they are told, even when they are told outrageously stupid things.

A lot of the reasoning behind the Kyoto treaty was purely selfish. Western Europe has tried for decades to vie with America as a world power. The EU was formed specifically for this reason, as a means of increasing government and industrial efficiency. But, even after all this effort, Europe is still eclipsed by America. America's economy, and the American people's standard of living is fueled by consumerism. Relatively low taxes (compared to Europe), low energy costs, and lower levels of government regulation. The Kyoto protocol would go a long way to leveling the playing field, but would come at the expense of America's prosperity and quality of life.

A side-effect of Global Warming legislation would be a large increase in government regulation, tax, and power. New bureaucracies would be formed, filled by tax-payer funded staff. These bureaucrats would enjoy the same perks and powers that their associates in other branches of government enjoy.

As an additional way to sell the deal, billions in aid are being promised to developing countries (which already receive billions in aid), to help them modernize and reduce emissions. Another thing left unsaid is that the companies who would undertake these modernization efforts would have to be approved by the usual, corrupt processes which governments typically use when choosing private contractors to perform government-funded work. More government contracts increases the number of potential kick-backs and corruption, it's any politician's wet dream come true.
(#43 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

12-03-2009, 03:24 AM

So the evidence that climate change is BS is that climate change has happened throughout history?

Check.
(#44 (permalink))
Old
clintjm (Offline)
JF Old Timer

12-03-2009, 05:05 AM

News you can count on:
Comedy Central Scoops Network News on Climate-Gate Scandal - Science News | Science & Technology | Technology News - FOXNews.com

"“Poor Al Gore. Global warming completely debunked via the very Internet you invented. Oh, oh, the irony!”

Damage Control people... can we get more on Tiger Woods story instead?
(#45 (permalink))
Old
clintjm (Offline)
JF Old Timer

12-03-2009, 05:20 AM

One of the leading Climategate researchers, Dr. Phil Jones, is “standing aside” as Director of the Climatic Research Unit (CRU) at the University of East Anglia (UEA) in Great Britain while an independent review board investigates the case.

Scientist Steps Down in Climategate Investigation

Professor Jones's original raw data has dissapeared (deleted by him) but still has the modified data only. Anyone scientist knows that their data must be readily available so that other scientists can reproduce the results.

A.k.a: "I lied, I got caught, I'm stepping down"

This is just getting jucier.

Professor Mann is up next soon.
(#46 (permalink))
Old
xyzone (Offline)
JF Old Timer

12-03-2009, 06:47 AM

In other news, a biologist somewhere is said to have lied so you know that whole thing about asbestos causing cancer? Time to rethink it! I can sell you free-thinkers on this thread some really great asbestos blankets.
(#47 (permalink))
Old
Guza (Offline)
WTF!?

Send a message via AIM to Guza Send a message via MSN to Guza
12-03-2009, 06:52 AM

hmm i read about that in the paper lol, i dont know what to expect but i do believe the government is well aware of what looms on, what concerns me more is this 2012 business lol
(#48 (permalink))
Old
komitsuki (Offline)

12-03-2009, 10:55 AM

Huh? Some dinosaurs were unusually "superlarge" and some palentologists explained this as the dinosaur eras being hotter than today.

I really couldn't care about global warming when a lot of the stuffs out there are more about political campaigns than science.

JapanForum's semi-resident amateur linguist.
(#49 (permalink))
Old
Sangetsu (Offline)

12-03-2009, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clintjm View Post
One of the leading Climategate researchers, Dr. Phil Jones, is “standing aside” as Director of the Climatic Research Unit (CRU) at the University of East Anglia (UEA) in Great Britain while an independent review board investigates the case.

Scientist Steps Down in Climategate Investigation

Professor Jones's original raw data has dissapeared (deleted by him) but still has the modified data only. Anyone scientist knows that their data must be readily available so that other scientists can reproduce the results.

A.k.a: "I lied, I got caught, I'm stepping down"

This is just getting jucier.

Professor Mann is up next soon.
Ah yes, the emails implicate Dr Johnson and friends destroying data in the face of an FOI act request, which is a violation American and international law.
(#50 (permalink))
Old
Sangetsu (Offline)

12-03-2009, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xyzone View Post
In other news, a biologist somewhere is said to have lied so you know that whole thing about asbestos causing cancer? Time to rethink it! I can sell you free-thinkers on this thread some really great asbestos blankets.
Funny, it was the liberal, anti-religion/monarchy types who were once defined as "free thinkers". It seems now that the tables have turned.

You can keep your asbestos blankets on your own bed where you belong, I hope you snuggle up all warm and tight tonight. And, on the off-chance that global warming is actually occurring, they might even come in handy.