JapanForum.com  

View Poll Results: Given the opportunity, would you wear traditional clothes in Japan?
I would wear traditional clothes 41 45.56%
I would just wear what I feel comfortable in 49 54.44%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#21 (permalink))
Old
bELyVIS (Offline)
JF Old Timer

02-07-2010, 01:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manganimefan227 View Post
For traditional festivals and tea ceremonies, Sur.

Casually? No, as an American, I wear more of a shirt+jeans style

Though some of what is worn in Japan seems really cute and things that would be cool to try!!

EDIT:

I also agree with ze people who said your wording is bad.

Are you trying to tell people that Nihonjin look down on you when you don't wear kimonos for casual use when they themselves do not?

Males them sound pretty arrogant.
????? Excuse me?

The World's only Belly Dancing Elvis Impersonator!
(#22 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

02-07-2010, 01:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koir View Post
When you can't refute a person's claims, you attack their grammar? Isn't that a sign you've lost the argument and you're trying to salvage your pride?

I'm glad other people posting in the thread seem to think your poll is lacking in neutrality. Was the purpose of this thread to be a judgmental flame fest with you in the position of superiority? I expected better than this from you, MMM.
I have made an art out of disappointing you, Koir. Doesn't the fact that I went back and changed the original post show my true feelings about my superiority?

The purpose of this thread was not to be "a judgmental flame fest with me in the position of superiority" in any way whatsoever. I am getting on a plane this afternoon, and was reminded of the common scene of a foreigner in what are seen as traditional Japanese dress. I was also tired of seeing the Akira poll continue with little interest from JF users.

I never intended for it to be that big a deal, but was just wondering if JFers would invest in the traditional image or not.
(#23 (permalink))
Old
Heather (Offline)
IamAmongNoOne.

02-07-2010, 02:03 AM

Well now....
Uh, my opinion would be to make your own style. Wear your own clothing, as you always wear, but add something thats traditional japan style to it. You don't want to look like you're "trying" to dress like they do. but, you don't want to be all, acting too comfortable or something, you know?

The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness will never understand it.
(#24 (permalink))
Old
Ronin4hire (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

02-07-2010, 04:03 AM

I would wear what I feel comfortable in definitely. Traditional clothing is generally only worn at certain ceremonies and Im under the impression that even then it is an option.

Though I wouldnt dare "do what the Romans do" either when it comes to some of my peers everyday dress sense. The standards commercial pop culture sets in Japan arent my thing. (the same can be said for the pop culture standards set in the West too).

In other words, you can often find me wearing a faded sweater and a modest pair of slacks and trainers most of the time.
(#25 (permalink))
Old
manganimefan227 (Offline)
星の翼

02-07-2010, 05:02 AM

bELyVIS: Do you need me to explain that?

My Life Sucks- The kids I babysit have drooled, ripped or drawn on all of the cards and put the cars with the little people in the microwave!

I have no Friends- The cats have scratched and destroyed all of the DVDs!

I always owe someone- In fact I put two os in it!

I always ruin my clothes with Bleach!- The show is so dom suspensful I spill my grape soda on them!

But . . .I'll live.

Last edited by manganimefan227 : 02-07-2010 at 05:05 AM.
(#26 (permalink))
Old
bELyVIS (Offline)
JF Old Timer

02-07-2010, 05:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manganimefan227 View Post
bELyVIS: Do you need me to explain that?
Oh, I thought you weren't a native English speaker but I see you are a product of the American School system. Makes sense now.

(#27 (permalink))
Old
Tsuwabuki (Offline)
石路 美蔓

02-07-2010, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bELyVIS View Post
Oh, I thought you weren't a native English speaker but I see you are a product of the American School system. Makes sense now.
How should this be taken? Was that a criticism of the American school system, or were you trying to say something entirely different?

I don't want to jump on you if you don't deserve it.

<- AnimeMusicVideos.Org
(#28 (permalink))
Old
Columbine (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

02-07-2010, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bELyVIS View Post
A Gaijin should only wear traditional clothes if they are a expert at putting them on or had them put on by another expert. The Japanese only put you down if you are not wearing them correctly.
THIS. Although I would add again 'for appropriate reasons'; not just to stand out and act the 'cool gaijin' on a random wednesday. I think people would be more likely to goggle at you if you were wearing something badly; kimono folded wrong or sloppily, for example.

Actually, something I noticed in Japan was that you were much more likely to see girls (of any nationality) in traditional gear than men. I think I only saw about three men (grooms and a guy at a graduation), and a handful of monks.

Oh, unless I count the kyuudo, karate and kendo lots. Fair few guys amongst them.
(#29 (permalink))
Old
bELyVIS (Offline)
JF Old Timer

02-07-2010, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsuwabuki View Post
How should this be taken? Was that a criticism of the American school system, or were you trying to say something entirely different?

I don't want to jump on you if you don't deserve it.
I was being critical of the school system. Too many pass without the proper education.
So I guess you'll jump on me if you are a teacher.

(#30 (permalink))
Old
ShiroiHana (Offline)
JF Regular

02-07-2010, 08:20 PM

I really want to try wearing a Japanese traditional cloth, even though I chose the second option.

My Blog + My Twitter
(●^ー^●)