LinkBack Thread Tools
(#21 (permalink))
Old
Mazikeen (Offline)
His Word In Stone

09-13-2010, 04:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin4hire View Post
6807 soldiers died because of bad government and foreign policy. Not because of 911
I guess you could spin it however you want, but it's 6807 less soldiers on this planet due to the repercussions of the September 11th attacks. I'm pretty sure this thread wasn't made to blame our governments for bad policy, but to pay tribute to those that have lost their lives on or because of September 11th, 2001.

Last edited by Mazikeen : 09-13-2010 at 04:33 AM.
(#22 (permalink))
Old
GoNative (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

09-13-2010, 04:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazikeen View Post
That's roughly 9784 people that have lost their goddamn lives due to the events orchestrated by Al-Qaeda leading up to the September 11th, 2001 terrorist attacks on the United States of America. The burden is too much for me to accept sometimes, that 6807 soldiers have died to keep our civilization free from the tyranny of those who would act in the name of an absent god for their own benefit. That is what I find most regrettable about the September 11th attacks.
More people than that die every year in the US from murder. About 90,000 women are raped each year in the US and have their lives irreparably damaged. On average 35,000 people die every year in the US from the common flu. Worlwide almost that many children die everyday fron hunger related illnesses in the 3rd world. Just putting those numbers into some sort of perspective

Terrible but not really large numbers...

Last edited by GoNative : 09-13-2010 at 04:45 AM.
(#23 (permalink))
Old
Mazikeen (Offline)
His Word In Stone

09-13-2010, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoNative View Post
More people than that die every year in the US from murder. About 90,000 women are raped each year in the US and have their lives irreparably damaged.
Guess what happens to women who are raped in Saudi Arabia? They get the consolation of a flogging. And Japanese media, primarily anime and manga, have a huge market for rape erotic fiction.

Quote:
On average 35,000 people die every year in the US from the common flu. Worlwide almost that many children die everyday fron hunger related illnesses in the 3rd world. Just putting those numbers into some sort of perspective
I happen to live in Chicago, IL, one of the cities in the USA with a high murder rate. I know very well how many people die from violence. It's almost every day that I open up the Chicago Tribute online and read another story about someone murdered between the day before and the morning at hand.

But this thread isn't about the inadequacies of the USA, is it? No, again, it's about paying tribute to those who lost their lives on September 11th, 2001 and due to it. But, what you're doing is downsizing the effect that September 11th, 2001 had on the world, and you're smearing the country that was attacked by citing a rape statistic. What exactly is your problem, mate?

Last edited by Mazikeen : 09-13-2010 at 05:20 AM.
(#24 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

09-13-2010, 06:09 AM

Quote:
People like Aniki (and I suppose me to an extent, and anyone else who consumes such media) are conditioned to think that with all the action movies and video games that exist today.
You are conditioned to think and feel that way only if you allow yourself to be. I watch all the same movies and play all the same video games, but fortunately I am still able to disconnect emotionally with movies and video games, and am able to connect emotionally with reality.
(#25 (permalink))
Old
Ronin4hire (Offline)

09-13-2010, 06:11 AM

Quote:
I guess you could spin it however you want, but it's 6807 less soldiers on this planet due to the repercussions of the September 11th attacks. I'm pretty sure this thread wasn't made to blame our governments for bad policy, but to pay tribute to those that have lost their lives on or because of September 11th, 2001.
I dont think you understand what repercussion means.

The US government had a choice to respond differently.

The only one spinning anything is you.
(#26 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

09-13-2010, 06:15 AM

Quote:
More people than that die every year in the US from murder. About 90,000 women are raped each year in the US and have their lives irreparably damaged. On average 35,000 people die every year in the US from the common flu. Worlwide almost that many children die everyday fron hunger related illnesses in the 3rd world. Just putting those numbers into some sort of perspective

Terrible but not really large numbers...
The point of the 9/11 memorial is not the AMOUNT of people that died.
(#27 (permalink))
Old
Ronin4hire (Offline)

09-13-2010, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
You are conditioned to think and feel that way only if you allow yourself to be. I watch all the same movies and play all the same video games, but fortunately I am still able to disconnect emotionally with movies and video games, and am able to connect emotionally with reality.
Its easy to say... but you dont have the power over your consciousness that you like to think you have.

It has been proven that violence on screen desensitizes us to violence in real life.

I admit to feeling more awe than shock when I saw footage of 911 for the first time.

Thankfully I have a conscience that was strong enough to check that feeling...

But that initial feeling of awe... the one that Aniki alludes to is something that could only have come about through desensitization to violence and things blowing up in my opinion.

My first thought was not... "Holy shit lots of people have died" It was... "DAMN! A plane just slammed into a building and took it out! You dont see that everyday"
(#28 (permalink))
Old
GoNative (Offline)

09-13-2010, 06:19 AM

Quote:
What exactly is your problem, mate?
No problem at all. Just pointing out that terrible things happen the world over all the time and the numbers involved in the 9/11 incident are comparitively small when even only compared to annual crime statistics in the US. You guys are far better at killing each other than any terrorists anyway!

You might find this hard to accept but not all of us are as affected by the deaths of a few thousand Americans. Just like most Americans will probably barely give a 2nd thought (assuming they've heard about it at all) about the 21 million or so people affected in the floods in Pakistan this monsoon season.
(#29 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

09-13-2010, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Its easy to say... but you dont have the power over your consciousness that you like to think you have.

It has been proven that violence on screen desensitizes us to violence in real life.

I admit to feeling more awe than shock when I saw footage of 911 for the first time.

Thankfully I have a conscience that was strong enough to check that feeling...

But that initial feeling of awe... the one that Aniki alludes to is something that could only have come about through desensitization to violence and things blowing up in my opinion.
If you really believe that is true: that you are desensitized to reality because of the violent movies and video games you play, then I weep for the future.
(#30 (permalink))
Old
edelweiss (Offline)
JF Old Timer

09-13-2010, 06:23 AM

I had overslept that day and had called in saying I'd be late for work, I was on my way there when I found out about it. We listened to the radio updates over the store speakers all day. I was worried for many reasons but mostly for my friends who live in NY.

I found out a few days later that my friend who worked in the Towers had overslept that morning and had called in saying he was going to be a few hours late. That may have saved his life. Quite a few people he worked with died that day.