Originally Posted by JasonTakeshi View Post
Enlighten me.
He's from New Zealand, I believe?
(#12 (permalink))
Old
evanny (Offline)
devil's advocate

09-12-2010, 07:15 AM

well i was at home.. it was evening and my parents were watching the breaking news. i saw some 3 times the repeated footage of planes crashing and then simply went out to play with my friends thinking - well that's something new.

to be honest...at this point i feel more sorry for the middle east. not saying accident wasnt terrible.
anyhow for me more note worthy are events like 2004 tsunami were 200 000 were killed and i think it is more or less unjust that things like that compared to 9/11 are almost completely left under the radar.
(#13 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
09-12-2010, 07:40 AM

I was cooking curry for dinner.
One of our friends sent my husband`s phone mail asking what I was saying or if I knew anything more from English language sources.

We don`t watch tv so had no clue what was going on. When my husband asked, the reply was simply "turn on the tv".

We watched for hours, mainly because it was live coverage and had countless unverified reports of other bombings, etc, from all over the country - they slowly dwindled as they were confirmed to not have happened or be something completely unrelated.

At first glance, I thought it was a normal war attack - not terrorism - and that some sort of (formal) war had started. I don`t recall feeling particularly emotional about it, and still don`t, really. Not that I don`t care, but it ranks on the same level as other disasters - man-made and natural - with numerous casualties. It`s very sad for those directly involved, and unfortunate that people lost their lives... But that`s the extent of my feelings about it.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#14 (permalink))
Old
kyo_9 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via Yahoo to kyo_9
09-12-2010, 04:33 PM

I was in front of the TV went the accident happened..
My family was so shocked that we thought it's April 1 that day..
No body would have thought that America can be attacked that easily..
Although the conspiracies behind the accident is still unsolved, I would like express my condolences to those who had lost their love ones during the event..

LiVe Ur LiFe
Don't do drugs!

(#15 (permalink))
Old
Aniki (Offline)
JF's Road Roller

09-12-2010, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyororin View Post
At first glance, I thought it was a normal war attack - not terrorism - and that some sort of (formal) war had started. I don`t recall feeling particularly emotional about it, and still don`t, really. Not that I don`t care, but it ranks on the same level as other disasters - man-made and natural - with numerous casualties. It`s very sad for those directly involved, and unfortunate that people lost their lives... But that`s the extent of my feelings about it.
That's exactly how I felt too.

I also remember saying "Wow..coooool!" the beavis and butthead way after seeing the second plane crash. But it became boring quite fast, so I switched to watch the sports channel.
(#16 (permalink))
Old
Jaydelart (Offline)
ジェイデラート

09-13-2010, 02:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aniki
That's exactly how I felt too.

I also remember saying "Wow..coooool!" the beavis and butthead way after seeing the second plane crash. But it became boring quite fast, so I switched to watch the sports channel.
"Wow..coooool!"
"... became boring quite fast, so I switched to watch the sports channel."?

I can understand if you weren't much affected by 9/11, be it you're living abroad or what have you. Even my own, genuine sympathy can only go so far; I can relate to you. But it really does disturb me when you can just blatantly make an insensitive remark about it like that, knowing that people were hurt by it.

Last edited by Jaydelart : 09-13-2010 at 02:57 AM.
(#17 (permalink))
Old
Ronin4hire (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

09-13-2010, 03:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydelart View Post
"Wow..coooool!"

I can understand if you weren't much affected by 9/11, be it you're living abroad or what have you. Even my own, genuine sympathy can only go so far; I can relate to you. But it really does disturb me when you can just blatantly make an insensitive remark about it like that, knowing that people were hurt by it.
I would never make that remark personally...

But I can understand where Aniki is coming from. I mean just watch the latest action movies with big explosions.. Bruce Willis downing a chopper with a car etc.

I dont think he was thinking "wow.. cool lots of people died!" I think he was thinking "wow.. cool! A plane just flew into a building at full speed and exploded"

People like Aniki (and I suppose me to an extent, and anyone else who consumes such media) are conditioned to think that with all the action movies and video games that exist today.

Last edited by Ronin4hire : 09-13-2010 at 04:12 AM.
(#18 (permalink))
Old
Heru (Offline)
JF Old Timer

09-13-2010, 03:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydelart View Post
"Wow..coooool!"

I agree.

Me, I'm from new york. It was a rather sad day and in the years to come, pretty annoying. Spending hours underground in subways stuck at times is very bothersome when you're in a state, in the city, that is a target. I was on edge all the time in new york and could freak out to the point of mild panic attacks whenever a plane flew by. This actually bothers me. There was a near miss while I was in the federal building, why a plane was allowed to fly so low by the federal building is beyond me.

I rather not remember the day, I rather not see news repeating off the names, and the whole 10 year anniversary coming up is ridiculous to me. I would like to fully move on from it but it's like America wont let that happen. I wonder for how many years this is going to continue.

On the day I was scared. I lived in a very tall building in new york. The days after I was bombarded with news of it, seeing sad people and all. New york was in mourning. Traveling into manhattan on 9/11 is unnatural. I travel by the path which runs under wtc. The train may have a bit of noise before it gets to new york but when it does, it's dead quiet. So quiet, the whole station. Then you get outside and there are protesters and mourners everywhere.

Aniki is disrespectful. Becoming bored fast? 9/11 isn't something you should have been entertained by unless you're a sick person. it wasn't cool in any way, watching as a plane with hundreds of people flew into a building instantly killing everyone on the flight and then anyone who was on the floor, exactly how was this cool to you?
(#19 (permalink))
Old
Mazikeen (Offline)
His Word In Stone

09-13-2010, 04:02 AM

As far as conspiracies go, the truth of them is that they are theory. In the Science community, theories are often worked out, disproven, and eventually the truth is realized. Other times we are presented with gems such as Newton's law of universal gravitation, and Newton's laws of motion. However, at this point in time, we can only speak of conjecture when we talk about a conspiracy surrounding 9/11. Perhaps one day in the future the truth will be revealed to us, but for now we must accept that 2977 people lost their lives that day, and that 6807 soldiers have died to keep the shores of multiple nations safe since then.

That's roughly 9784 people that have lost their goddamn lives due to the events orchestrated by Al-Qaeda leading up to the September 11th, 2001 terrorist attacks on the United States of America. The burden is too much for me to accept sometimes, that 6807 soldiers have died to keep our civilization free from the tyranny of those who would act in the name of an absent god for their own benefit. That is what I find most regrettable about the September 11th attacks.

The fact that I have been unable to sleep without telling my family that I love them weighs heavily on me every day. It's all affected us in one way or another. We've lost dearly missed loved ones, or those close to us have, and nobody can deny that September 11th, 2001 hasn't shaken them in one way or another. And on September 11th, 2001 we honor those who have died by living our lives the best we can, and perhaps honoring them by taking a moment of your day to honor them in silence. I know that's what I did on September 11th, 2010. And I'm going to do the same tomorrow, next week, next month, next year, and the year after that.
(#20 (permalink))
Old
Ronin4hire (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

09-13-2010, 04:13 AM

6807 soldiers died because of bad government and foreign policy. Not because of 911