JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

remembering 9/11 - 09-11-2010, 08:05 PM

My heart goes out to all families involved in that terrible tragedy.

Where were you on that day?
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Jaydelart (Offline)
ジェイデラート

09-11-2010, 08:37 PM

I was getting ready to go to school, when my mom and dad, glued to the T.V., called me over and told me I could stay home. I actually couldn't fully understand the signficance of what I was watching, at the time, especially that it was all unfolding LIVE. But I do remember it quite well. I remember many images from the event, and also watching overnight coverages of a few military bombardments.

Several days after the attack, one of the new students in our class, an Iraqi boy, stopped attending. Apparently, his family moved back to the Middle East.

Shamefully, it's only occured to me within the last few years what I actually witnessed on my T.V. and of the nation. I can now comprehend more the losses of that day, and the conflicts that escalated as a result. And it's a humbling awakening.

R.I.P., the victims of 9/11. And to the relatively innocent people who lost their lives to the war, Coalition and Iraqi.

Last edited by Jaydelart : 09-11-2010 at 10:09 PM.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
steamboatsam (Offline)
JF Regular

09-11-2010, 09:34 PM

I was in 8th grade history. She went out for a minute or two in the hallway then she came back in and turned on the television. I had never hear of the twin towers before then and I couldn't hear the t.v. that well so I thought it might be a part of the class lesson. However, the day kept getting strange as more and more students were being checked out. I was only one of the very few people left in school by lunch time. It was only after school did I learn what all of it was.

Rest in peace those who lives were lost

"She tempered honor with compasion and mercy."
(#4 (permalink))
Old
manganimefan227 (Offline)
星の翼

09-11-2010, 11:02 PM

This is the first time (I think) that I actually say what it was like for me, please read it to the end if you read it at all

I was in first grade, I don't remember being at school but I do remember coming home feeling like I had been rushed so maybe they took us out of school. I see a plane crash into a building and saw it as some kind of stunt show inspired b a cartoon and imeadietly yell out "Cool!" at the secene, I did not consider that people were in those planes that crashed and got killed which is what my mother yelled at me and I was speechless.

Like Jaydelart I didn't REALLY see this until sixth grade as our English teacher showed us coverage of the hurt and pain it caused.

To all involved in 9/11, in the planes, in the buildings, in the Pentagon, the respritory disease victims who emerged from helping at the scene, to those who fought in Iraq, to the Iraqi citizens caught in the middle . . .

May they all Rest in Peace in Heaven . . .

My Life Sucks- The kids I babysit have drooled, ripped or drawn on all of the cards and put the cars with the little people in the microwave!

I have no Friends- The cats have scratched and destroyed all of the DVDs!

I always owe someone- In fact I put two os in it!

I always ruin my clothes with Bleach!- The show is so dom suspensful I spill my grape soda on them!

But . . .I'll live.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
nobora (Offline)
Fan Ichigou

09-12-2010, 12:43 AM

I was in school . And the teachers were freaking out but at the time I didnt know why until I got home
(#6 (permalink))
Old
Ronin4hire (Offline)

09-12-2010, 03:07 AM

I cant wait for this thread to turn into a political debate.

Im not going to fire the first shot this time round...

9-11 was a sad day.. but to me it was just like any other day. I cant remember what I was doing.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
JasonTakeshi (Offline)
Conceptual Doubt

09-12-2010, 03:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin4hire View Post
I cant wait for this thread to turn into a political debate.
Im not going to fire the first shot this time round...

9-11 was a sad day.. but to me it was just like any other day. I cant remember what I was doing.
Enlighten me.

Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
cranks (Offline)
JF Old Timer

09-12-2010, 03:47 AM

I love bandwagons.

I'm rather old. I moved to the states 3 years prior to the attack and had a job. I usually don't watch TV in the morning but my girlfriend called and told me to watch the TV.

It was unreal. I didn't feel compassion, didn't think about the people who were actually dying. I don't know if it was because I didn't speak English very well back then and was not attached with the US as much as I am now, or because it looked just too unearthly I couldn't relate myself with it.

What DID scare me though, is the bedlam after that. Everybody on TV was screaming about Pearl Harbor (with which I have a bit of a beef, in terms of the general American view) and President Bush started the war in Afghanistan. To this extent, I understood. But Iraq? Anybody could see that was soooooo made up. It was scary that NO TV station questioned WMD crap that was clearly a fraud to my eyes.

It made me think about how WW2 had to have started, and it was scary to see how even a respectable county like the US can lose its temper and act impetuously once provoked.

Last edited by cranks : 09-12-2010 at 04:03 AM.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
Ronin4hire (Offline)

09-12-2010, 03:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonTakeshi View Post
Enlighten me.
About what in particular?
(#10 (permalink))
Old
chiuchimu (Offline)
JF Old Timer

09-12-2010, 06:12 AM

My brother was on a flight from Florida to Colorado when 911 happened. They grounded his plane in Texas. After it became clear that no flights or trains where going to operate anytime soon, he rented a car and drove for 3~4 days to get back home.