LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
GoNative (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

03-02-2011, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
But it is interesting that you say what they do off camera has no affect about your opinion of them what they do on camera. Is that really true?
Absolutely. What do I care if an actor is an ass in real life? What do I care if they are really nice? If he/she acts good then I don't care what they are getting up to in their spare time. I care so little about the private lives of celebrities that generally I don't have any idea what they are getting up to anyway. If you hadn't brought up this thread I would never have actually known that Charlie Sheen was in the spotlight at the moment.
(#12 (permalink))
Old
xkmkmlmx (Offline)
JF Regular

03-02-2011, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoNative View Post
Absolutely. What do I care if an actor is an ass in real life? What do I care if they are really nice? If he/she acts good then I don't care what they are getting up to in their spare time. I care so little about the private lives of celebrities that generally I don't have any idea what they are getting up to anyway. If you hadn't brought up this thread I would never have actually known that Charlie Sheen was in the spotlight at the moment.
In general, I do not care either. Some of it is still interesting to a point. More or less in the study of fame and what it encompasses.

That and if I happen to have a moral issue with someones actions, I would try not to support said person. Sure, what I don't know won't hurt, but there is nothing wrong with making choices after I do in fact find out. Example, I couldn't care less about sheen and his drugs and hookers, but I DO care about Roman Polanski raping a young girl.
(#13 (permalink))
Old
tokusatsufan (Offline)
JF Old Timer

03-02-2011, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Aha... found it... Noriko Sakai.

She was convicted for possessing 0.008g of amphetamine. Sheen goes on TV and talks about "rocking 7g rocks" and he still is in his home with his twin sons, and two live-in girlfriends.
Was she that woman that kept being on in the morning[nighttime for me] who they kept talking about for days?
(#14 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

03-02-2011, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xkmkmlmx View Post
In general, I do not care either. Some of it is still interesting to a point. More or less in the study of fame and what it encompasses.

That and if I happen to have a moral issue with someones actions, I would try not to support said person. Sure, what I don't know won't hurt, but there is nothing wrong with making choices after I do in fact find out. Example, I couldn't care less about sheen and his drugs and hookers, but I DO care about Roman Polanski raping a young girl.
I think you hit the nail on the head. I sort of assume everyone in Hollywood does drugs and hookers, so if I find out they live on a farm and feed chickens, I think "I guess he is really a nice guy." However, when someone is involved in domestic abuse, like Chris Brown, or child rape, like Roman Polanski, I want to know those kinds of things.

With actors there is a degree of separation, as nothing they do is going to affect me. But if it was a policeman doing crack or a teacher smoking weed before class, that is something I would want to know.

Right now one of our State Representatives in Washington DC has been outed as having mental issues, and is on serious prescription medication. He doesn't want to tell the public what he is taking, but many are saying since he is our representative, we have the right to know what medications he is taking and for what conditions. Who is right?
(#15 (permalink))
Old
Sinestra (Offline)
ショ ン

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
03-02-2011, 09:02 PM

It so sad that i look at this and i think oh its typical US Hollywood crap. We have become so desensitized to it we see it as normal.

I honestly cant even fathom something like this happening in Japan mainly because of Japanese culture and deep routed traditions.

(#16 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

03-02-2011, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinestra View Post
I honestly cant even fathom something like this happening in Japan mainly because of Japanese culture and deep routed traditions.
What about culture and traditions make this not possible?
(#17 (permalink))
Old
tokusatsufan (Offline)
JF Old Timer

03-02-2011, 10:44 PM

What I hate is how if you express the slightest interest in making TV or film everyone thinks you want to go to Hollywood! They make[mostly] awful films! Why would I want to go there?

I like it when tokusatsu actors turn out to be cool in real life. Not fighting people or anything,just being nice etc. Power Rangers examples are Daniel Ewing and Jason Chan.

Last edited by tokusatsufan : 03-02-2011 at 10:46 PM.
(#18 (permalink))
Old
fluffy0000 (Offline)
FJ to JF

again sorta not - 03-02-2011, 11:47 PM

Quote:
I think you hit the nail on the head. I sort of assume everyone in Hollywood does drugs and hookers, ..
So do you think Robert De Niro or Tom Hanks, James Cameron do drugs and hookers MMM? Quite the blanket statement regarding Hollywood which has a community of actors and directors & producers that also have charities &
foundations that contribute to the community not only in Los Angeles (Hollywood) but around the world. Like De Niros' Tribeca Film festival or James Cameron environmental work .
(#19 (permalink))
Old
BobbyCooper (Offline)
Banned

03-02-2011, 11:47 PM

Quote:
What about culture and traditions make this not possible?
You have been to Japan right? Why would you believe something even close to what Charlie Sheen does would happen by a Japanese person?

Even what Charlie does in the last couple of years, is pretty much a shocker after a shocker for us Western.

100times out of this World for Japanese people or we can say Asian's in general.
(#20 (permalink))
Old
termogard (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Smile media - 03-03-2011, 01:10 AM

Quote:
I know the wide shows will spend three hours in an afternoon talking about the same things over and over, but does it permeate all media in Japan? Radio, magazines, newspapers? (even the Wall Street Journal talked about Sheen today).
I don't know about possible similar situation in Japan. But I remember that members of some US political-related forum were so "happy" in 2007 that Paris Hilton was jailed for three months or so for drunk driving. People were so excited talking about again and again. I had no interest at all. There are plenty other interesting events in everyday's life except silly day-to-day talks about celebrities.