(#21 (permalink))
Old
Kayci (Offline)
The odd Gaijin :3

Send a message via MSN to Kayci
03-15-2011, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin4hire View Post
Like I said... that's mostly brought about by nationalism.

Kysuhu is not directly affected by the disaster.
I dunno, it could be if production bases of companies or such can be closed.
(I know I worded that weird.)

Coffee prevents me from killing you.
(#22 (permalink))
Old
Ronin4hire (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

03-15-2011, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayci View Post
I dunno, it could be if production bases of companies or such can be closed.
(I know I worded that weird.)
Yeah but that can be said of people outside of Japan.

Many Japanese manufacturing companies are multi-national.

Last edited by Ronin4hire : 03-15-2011 at 12:33 AM.
(#23 (permalink))
Old
dannavy85 (Offline)
JF Regular

03-15-2011, 03:00 AM

Quote:
But what I am just as sad about is the fact that Japanophiles/Otaku/Weeaboos are mourning this disaster for all the wrong reasons. I have seen many, MANY people all over the internet (Youtube, Facebook, you name it), and they're ONLY mourning the disaster JUST because it's Japan.
They would show NO such sympathy for anywhere else such as Haiti or New Zealand. It really worries me, there's no other words for it. :/
I mourn for the Japanese because I lived with them for 15 years. I still have no word from a JMSDF Master Sargent and his wife who retired to Sendai after he left the service.

Do Haiti and NZ have nuclear reactors?

Don't you question what I feel or believe in.

USN Japan 1985 - 1997, best years of my life.
(#24 (permalink))
Old
Umihito (Offline)
JF Old Timer

03-15-2011, 03:10 AM

Before I start with the replies, I'd like to give you a few quotes from some people who I'm talking about.

"Japan is being destroyed......... If Japan is gone, My life is worthless........."
This person is a confirmed full on American Weeaboo. Has admitted on several occasions she wishes she were Japanese, wishes Japan won World War 2 and invaded America, the works. Makes me think this outcry is completely artificial.

"At least Japan is a country that actually deserves our money and contributes to the world. Haiti's biggest exports are poverty and AIDs."
Well what more can I say. Disgusting. But there are many many more with this mindset.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoNative View Post
People will always feel something more strongly if they feel a personal connection. Just like one of the 10's of thousands of people who die naturally everyday has little effect on you or me unless we know one of them personally. People who feel a connection with Japan will have stronger emotions about this disaster than say the one in NZ. It would be nice to think we have the same compassion for anyone in the world but it's not like that in reality. Something like 10,000 children die everyday from completely preventable issues related to hunger. Do we mourn each and every single day this great loss of life? No we don't. Many would not even be aware of it. Because it all happens in countries they have little to no interest in. It's just the way the world is.
Yes, but what I'm saying is that these people do not know one single person in Japan personally. Granted, they have some Japanese Facebook friends, but they still give the impression that even they're only there because they have a thing for Japan and Japanese people (obvious, I know). I just think to claim they have a personal connection with people they only know over Facebook is a little wrong in itself.
And I guess you're right. But that entire fact is what makes me sad. I'm not saying they should mourn each and every person, but they should care for each nation suffering at any one time on a whole. The fact it doesn't even merit a Facebook status of sorrow just makes me feel their entire Japan sorrow is bittersweet and COMPLETELY artificial in a sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBraden View Post
When I was stationed in Aomori-ken, I used to drive anywhere from Sendai to Mutsu Bay on my days off.... Since I've been there, I have more of a connection to the place than I do with NZ or Haiti.... It's not that I don't feel for those people, but having been there does make it more personal. Like I expressed in an earlier post, I don't know if people will consider that insensitive or not, but that's how it is....
As I said above, it's completely understandable in a case like yours, where you were there, actually interacting with the people. The people I'm talking about have never been so much as outside their own country, yet claim their lives have been changed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by termogard View Post
You know, besides strongest earthquake and tsunami, Japan now has troubles with some nuclear plants. Do Haiti or NZ have any problem with nuclear reactors?
But you're forgetting the fact that Haiti is a terribly poor third world country. The actual event may have been weaker, but their buildings were NOT constructed with the technology that Japan's were, and the people were nowhere near educated or drilled enough in earthquake procedures. The death toll escalated much higher because of this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tokusatsufan View Post
Well let's make the Welsh look good why don't we.

I'm a weaboo. I'm relatively bad. Of course I care about when it happens to other countries.I'm planning to live in Japan so naturally I am going to take more of an interest. We are all weaboos in this world so one anime fan[you must have some interest in Japan if you're here] taking a holier-than-thou attitude is not gonna help matters.

See,what people call being "cynical"[that word's just lost all meaning now],just being suspicious about everything,it's always somebody's fault,hating everything,is bad. The Japanese wouldn't do that. I'm just hoping it'll stop.
Well well, I don't even know where to start with this.
I am in no way attempting to make the Welsh look good. If it so pleases you, I will remove my location title. Maybe change it to England so you can get some glory.
As a Weeaboo, I'd expect some hostility to my issue, so I understand.

Oh yes, of course I have an interest in Japan. But wait... I hate Anime! How can this be so! :O
I'm sorry that your opinion of being a fan of Japan only extends to liking Anime. Be sure to make this nicely known when you live there.
And no, we're not all Weeaboos. I'm not. I have no intention of becoming Japanese, because I'm white.
I don't see any part of my original post being 'holier-than-thou.' Please direct me where.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tokusatsufan View Post
You can be called a weaboo just for showing an interest in Japanese. Basically though,there are people out there who I've come across on the internet and they've been much more of a weaboo than I have,but they've also been cool people. Most people think weaboos are bad,and that's wrong.

In fact it's not really a term used in Japan,it's just basically someone that thinks Japanese culture is better than their own. Personally,I find it hard to really get into British culture because what's British culture? There's so much American and European influence. There's little that we can say is ours. We make more TV programmes than say the rest of Europe,but in Japan the foreign stuff is just on overnight!
That is true, but that's an unfortunate stereotype.
And if you mean bad as in evil, then of course they aren't. But if you mean bad as in... well, the other way, I must say I don't see any good in wishing you're something you're not and wanting to turn your back on your whole culture and what's in your blood just because you like something.

And FYI, foreign music especially is extremely popular in Japan. As is foreign movies and media.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kouichisan View Post
It doesn't matter for what reason they care, Japan has impacted their lives in some way that makes them want to care. But, if similar incidents occur in other countries from now, they may feel more sympathy toward them.

It's true, they should care about the people, and care for the right reasons regardless which country. But the reality is some people are ignorant and don't care about other countries because of prejudice or for whatever other reason they have.
I definitely understand what you're saying. I guess in the end all that matters is if the help comes from them. I know I should be grateful for that, but something just strikes a chord when I see them worrying or helping just because of false illusions they have, and when they don't care for any other country simply because they don't like it. It's really hard to explain, but I am glad that Japan is getting support.
(#25 (permalink))
Old
Umihito (Offline)
JF Old Timer

03-15-2011, 03:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannavy85 View Post
I mourn for the Japanese because I lived with them for 15 years. I still have no word from a JMSDF Master Sargent and his wife who retired to Sendai after he left the service.

Do Haiti and NZ have nuclear reactors?

Don't you question what I feel or believe in.
As I mentioned in the earlier post, a case like yours in which you have been there and have a personal connection with the people, especially for 15 years, is completely understandable, and I have no problem with that.

No, but Haiti is poor. It's buildings are deadly in earthquakes, they collapse MUCH easier than Japanese ones. The people are not educated in earthquake procedure, and probably panic much more, thus resulting in higher death rates. Although no nuclear reactors are present, other dangerous objects and issues pose a threat that may potentially be extremely deadly.

I don't mean to offend you or what you believe in by my post, and I'm sorry if that's how it came across.
(#26 (permalink))
Old
Ryzorian (Offline)

03-15-2011, 05:40 AM

What the hell's a weeaboo? never heard of that before.
(#27 (permalink))
Old
wappydoppy (Offline)
New to JF

03-15-2011, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Kysuhu is not directly affected by the disaster.
(I know I've posted this elsewhere but) Kyushu may have a more local problem

YouTube - Volcano Mountain Blast with Massive earthquake 8.9 in Japan, Tsunami Eathquake 13.03.2011
(#28 (permalink))
Old
xkmkmlmx (Offline)
JF Regular

03-15-2011, 07:05 AM

ronin4hire is a troll

Last edited by xkmkmlmx : 10-06-2011 at 01:13 AM.
(#29 (permalink))
Old
Ronin4hire (Offline)

03-15-2011, 08:02 AM

What have I said that was so objectionable?

I already said I sympathised.

Furthermore I live in New Zealand. This country had an Earthquake not long ago if you don't remember.

Thousands displaced, hundreds dead etc.

I wasn't affected by it one bit because I live in a different city.

Furthermore I'm in touch with actual people from Kansai, Kyushu and even as close as Akita that say it's business as usual for them.

That's my point of reference.

Maybe you should stop being so oversensitive and actually READ what I say. All I've offered is my perspective. It might be different from yours but that's kinda to be expected on a FORUM.

PS- Stop trying to be tough on the internet. You just look pathetic with your physical threats of violence.

Last edited by Ronin4hire : 03-15-2011 at 08:12 AM.
(#30 (permalink))
Old
xkmkmlmx (Offline)
JF Regular

03-15-2011, 08:25 AM

Quote:
What have I said that was so objectionable?

I already said I sympathised.
Oh you did? I'm sorry, it must have gotten lost in the shit storm that spews from your mouth on these forums.

Quote:
Furthermore I live in New Zealand. This country had an Earthquake not long ago if you don't remember.

Thousands displaced, hundreds dead etc.

I wasn't affected by it one bit because I live in a different city.

That's my point of reference.
Really now? Not one bit? No one has had to suffer at all except the ones directly hit, yes? How is New Zealand's overall economy right now? Same as it ever was? All those people that lost someone or their home or whatever else, they're over it now I bet, right?

I mean, all I am trying to say here is I am soooooooo glad that you weren't affected. I am sure no one else in your "other city" was either, right? Business as usual?

At any rate, hopefully no one sent money to your country as Haiti needs it FAR more, amirite?

Also, hate to say it, but this quake far outweighs the one in NZ.

Quote:

Maybe you should stop being so oversensitive and actually READ what I say. All I've offered is my perspective. It might be different from yours but that's kinda to be expected on a FORUM.
I never said that you can't have your opinion. You're stating them as facts in most cases and you're wrong. You don't have a grasp on what kind of affects this will have, but you still have no problem vomiting it out of your mouth.

You constantly insult people and have a bad attitude towards others. It is tired and sickening. It is a forum, but it isn't YOUR forum. So as you get to voice yourself about all the things you don't like, I will as well (and that includes YOU).

Quote:

PS- Stop trying to be tough on the internet. You just look pathetic with your physical threats of violence.
Nah, I am not trying to be tough on the internet. You're the one hiding behind it. All I said is, I know we would not be having this conversation face to face. And I bet you don't talk like this to your peers on people in your daily real life. You are either hated or assaulted regularly. Or both. Most likely both.

The pathetic one is the one who leads that double internet life.

Last edited by xkmkmlmx : 03-15-2011 at 08:27 AM.