LinkBack Thread Tools
(#131 (permalink))
Old
Ronin4hire (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

03-16-2011, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
It seems you have erased your original post. You say your reasons are "rational" but can no longer share them.
Way to fail at reading what I said.
(#132 (permalink))
Old
Ronin4hire (Offline)

03-16-2011, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMisa View Post
Yes, most of the UK Donations are going to the Red Cross Tsunami Appeal - not the Japanese government. The Red Cross are over there helping at the moment - getting people on the ground to help out.

The Red Cross are given no money by the government, and aren't swimming in riches like you claim the Japanese to be. Do you expect the Red Cross to be able to send people (which you say is what's actually needed) over to Japan for nothing?

If you claim they don't need money, then what else are you supposed to do instead? Nothing?

Also, if you give to the Red Cross:

In the event that we receive more donations to the Japan Tsunami Appeal than the Japanese Red Cross and International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement can reasonably and efficiently spend, any surplus funds will be used to help us prepare for and respond to humanitarian disasters both here in the UK and overseas.

It filters back into their disaster fund.
I've addressed this earlier.

If the Red Cross have problems with funding then they can invoice the Japanese government.

I am happy to give to the red cross but I'll earmark my money for use in other disasters that need my MONEY.
(#133 (permalink))
Old
Ronin4hire (Offline)

03-16-2011, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by globetrotter36 View Post
You have said virtually the same thing in just about every post so I HAVE read what you have written as have many others. You constantly refer to the Japanese government stating it has enough money although I don't believe you know the true facts. However, the Japanese people are not simply being helped by the government, charities, most notably the Red Cross is involved. The Red Cross is a charity and depends on donations and no doubt their help along with that of foreign relief teams is needed. From what you wrote earlier I think you have just got a hang up about races which are hardly relevant in this issue. Just in case you forgot lots of other nations helped Haiti and some most likely still are.
Wrong.

You haven't paraphrased my point correctly at all.
(#134 (permalink))
Old
Ronin4hire (Offline)

03-16-2011, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMisa View Post
Lol because the Japanese government can afford to pay for all the charities in their country. There is a reason that charities are not government funded in developed countries, and that's because we can't afford to give money to every charity that exists here, and you can't give money to some charities and not to others, because people's priorities are different.

I don't know where you get the impression that the Japanese government can afford to do everything in terms of the tsunami.
They can afford it.

Japan is the worlds third richest country in the world.

The estimated cost is large. But it's well within the capabilities of the Japanese economy which will no doubt take a hit... but the worst that can happen is that it becomes the world's fourth richest country as opposed to being the world's third richest country for a little bit... whoop dee do.
(#135 (permalink))
Old
tokusatsufan (Offline)
JF Old Timer

03-16-2011, 10:54 AM

This hasn't even ended yet. Nobody knows how long this is gonna take.
At least Christchurch and Haiti were just ONE EARTHQUAKE. It's not gonna be easy to rebuild all those houses.
(#136 (permalink))
Old
konbini (Offline)
JF Regular

03-16-2011, 12:39 PM

Ronin, who are you to decide which countries deserve charity?
People need assistance when tragedy happens no matter if the country is poor or not.
(#137 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

03-16-2011, 12:49 PM

I don't see anything wrong with donating to the Red Cross. They will make a best judgement of how the money will be used, it can go to Japan, it can go to another country that needs the aid.

To Misa's point, Red Cross doesn't operate off of government funding. And if government is to give Red Cross any funds, they will have other organization to answer to...
(#138 (permalink))
Old
globetrotter36 (Offline)
JF Regular

Send a message via Skype™ to globetrotter36
03-16-2011, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin4hire View Post
Wrong.

You haven't paraphrased my point correctly at all.

You are the one who is wrong; nearly all your posts state in so many words; 'Japan is a rich country and therefore does not need aid.' This is incorrect as the rescue effort, along with re-housing, rebuilding and staving off a potential nuclear disaster all contribute to expenses the country can ill afford - the country is debt like many other places.

Last edited by globetrotter36 : 03-16-2011 at 03:20 PM. Reason: Grammatical error.
(#139 (permalink))
Old
globetrotter36 (Offline)
JF Regular

03-16-2011, 02:28 PM

Quote:

If the Red Cross have problems with funding then they can invoice the Japanese government.
I would call that very arrogant.
(#140 (permalink))
Old
globetrotter36 (Offline)
JF Regular

03-16-2011, 02:31 PM

Quote:
They can financially.
This is one example of what I mean about your posts so come on, how do would you know? You appear to making assumptions based on conjecture.

Last edited by globetrotter36 : 03-16-2011 at 04:13 PM.