Jah Rastafaaari. Yeah pasta for life
(#32 (permalink))
Old
kouichisan (Offline)
おす!

03-15-2011, 04:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin4hire View Post
Japan is the world's third richest country. I don't mean to sound heartless because I'm sorry for the tragedy. But my charity will be going elsewhere to people who needed it before the Earthquake (as it always does).

It's ironic giving charity to a country that is so rich and probably quite thouroughly insured.

It's like giving money to Charlie Sheen if his house blew up.

-------------

FIRST POST REPOSTED:

As a citizen of this Earth I implore that you not waste your money on Japan or New Zealand.

Earthquakes and tsunami are horrible occurences and it is not without sympathy that I make this thread.

But there are far more needy parts of the world than these two and as a New Zealand citizen I believe that our government should not be seeking financial aid from NGO's as we are a developed country that can take care of the costs on our own.

I think the same for Japan. Japan is the third largest economy in the world. You shouldn't be paying the money that you work hard for, to support people that live in a country in which the financial problems they face can be overcome.

NGO's need to either invoice these state governments or stay out if they refuse to pay.

Of course I'm not against material assistance or the offer of expertise, so if you can help in Japan as an engineer or a rescue worker then more power to you. But when it comes to money, Japan and New Zealand are at the top of the world's pecking order being both developed states and they don't need it.
Ronin4Hire I can see why you suggest that, but what's wrong with donating to both? LOL

What are you trying to achieve here exactly?.

Why not say to people, 'if you are going to donate to Japan, don't forget to also donate to Haiti, Libya, Bangladesh, Africa etc?' that would be better than saying 'don't donate to Japan'. At first I thought you had a good argument, but you know, this agenda of yours, it's getting a little silly now.
(#33 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

03-15-2011, 04:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sangetsu View Post
I am calling you and this thread stupid, and the mods should delete it before it makes you look even more stupid than you already appear to be.
Even if I don't agree with Ronin's assertion, the thread is not breaking any rules.
(#34 (permalink))
Old
GoNative (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

03-15-2011, 05:03 AM

Well I have lived in Japan for nearly 8 years. I consider it my home and the Japanese my fellow countrymen. All my concerns are currently with the situation here, not those in faraway lands.
(#35 (permalink))
Old
Ronin4hire (Offline)

03-15-2011, 05:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kouichisan View Post
Ronin4Hire I can see why you suggest that, but what's wrong with donating to both? LOL

What are you trying to achieve here exactly?.

Why not say to people, 'if you are going to donate to Japan, don't forget to also donate to Haiti, Libya, Bangladesh, Africa etc?' that would be better than saying 'don't donate to Japan'. At first I thought you had a good argument, but you know, this agenda of yours, it's getting a little silly now.
Japan doesn't need money. It's the 3rd richest country in the world and in a world with so many issues, people and places are almost competing for our attention. I mean you can't donate to everything. So why not prioritise?

I'm not giving them a cent.

I've already made it clear that if we can offer our help in another way then fine. But not my money.

As for macro economics. I know what it is morons. I just fail to see how it's a justification for recieving charity.

I mean how does that work? Give charity to those that have the most?
(#36 (permalink))
Old
Ronin4hire (Offline)

03-15-2011, 05:07 AM

Anyway.. I get it.

Little Japanese babies are worth more than little black babies.

There's your f*cking macro-economics.

Whatever.
(#37 (permalink))
Old
Sangetsu (Offline)

03-15-2011, 05:10 AM

Quote:
Japan doesn't need money. It's the 3rd richest country in the world.

F*ck that. I'm not giving them a cent.

I've already made it clear that if we can offer our help in another way then fine. But not my money.

As for macro economics. I know what it is morons. I just fail to see how it's a justification for recieving charity.

Exactly how rich is Japan? Currently Japan is holding nearly $11 trillion dollars in debt. Japan is also the second largest holder of foreign debt in the world. Once it starts selling foreign treasury bills and foreign bonds to pay for reconstruction, the economies of the countries who issued these bonds are going to have problems as well, including your own country. When you have to start paying more for everything you buy then perhaps you will start to understand.

Governments sell bonds in order to raise money to pay for things like publics works projects and such, and this gives them the ability to pay back the amount of the bond over time, which also allows them more flexibility in funding things like education, healthcare, and pensions. When the world's third-largest economy and second-largest holder of these bonds decides to cash-out, this depletes the currency reserves of the country which issued the bonds, leaving less money in the economy. And if Japan is going to cash-out on it's foreign bonds, it certainly not going to be buying any new ones, which makes it hard for the countries who issue these bonds to fund their operations and obligations.

This means that everyone in the world has less money, and in the end, those most hurt are the little black babies, since the rest of the world has less money to spend for things like charity.

Last edited by Sangetsu : 03-15-2011 at 06:09 AM.
(#38 (permalink))
Old
Sangetsu (Offline)

03-15-2011, 05:13 AM

Quote:
Anyway.. I get it.

Whatever.
If you want the God-honest truth, in an economic sense they are.

How much money have you personally donated to Haiti? I promise you it was less than what I have donated. Put-up or shut-up.
(#39 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

03-15-2011, 05:13 AM

Quote:
Give charity to those that have the most?
I think they are saying give to those that in turn give back the most.

Quote:
Anyway.. I get it.

Whatever.
You are introducing the race card? Seriously, Ronin? You want to accuse everyone here dedicated to helping Japan as being racists?

Seriously?
(#40 (permalink))
Old
kouichisan (Offline)
おす!

03-15-2011, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Japan doesn't need money. It's the 3rd richest country in the world and in a world with so many issues, people and places are almost competing for our attention. I mean you can't donate to everything. So why not prioritise?

I'm not giving them a cent.

Don't give it, who is making you? lol u r saying it is as if you are obligated to give it and someone has demanded u do... chillout haha.

You know your argument would be stronger if you said it like this...

"Haiti is less developed than Japan and has experienced a greater level of devastation compared to Japan. The government doesn't have insurance systems like the developed world and they cannot provide aid because the infra-structure is not good either. Between the two, Haiti has the greatest need.

So if you will be donating to Japan, consider Haiti and while you donate select 'Where the need is greatest'. This will give the Charity the opportunity to allocate their resources to where it is needed most in other projects in 3rd world countries also."

If you say it like that, it doesn't sound weird. But the way you are saying it, is as though it's something personal for you.... 'I'm not giving them a cent'. There's no need for that.