(#21 (permalink))
Old
stickmichael (Offline)
JF Regular

03-26-2011, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBraden View Post
Divorces happen there too....
Bet that is kinda odd for them, because I hear they are very shy or atleast the male population. Is that true?
(#22 (permalink))
Old
RealJames (Offline)
ボケ外人

03-26-2011, 03:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickmichael View Post
Bet that is kinda odd for them, because I hear they are very shy or atleast the male population. Is that true?
yeah divorces are much less common here, but couples that barely talk to each other are quite common

マンツーマン 英会話 神戸 三宮 リアライズ -James- This is my life and why I know things about Japan.
(#23 (permalink))
Old
stickmichael (Offline)
JF Regular

03-26-2011, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealJames View Post
yeah divorces are much less common here, but couples that barely talk to each other are quite common
Okay well what about when meeting a woman over there. How does that work in their country? Do I have to like ask permission of the father to take out the daughter or something? I wanna say I have heard that before too, but not sure. Thx man by the way. Information is very appreciated.
(#24 (permalink))
Old
RealJames (Offline)
ボケ外人

03-27-2011, 01:53 AM

No you don't have to ask for permission, but family ties are also a lot stronger here and if a family disapproves of a bf then the girl may well break it off.
Maybe not so much so when it comes to dating but if it starts to get serious then for sure.
You wont find nearly as many women willing to defy their parents wishes as in western cultures.

Having said that, if you're not a dick things should be fine, it helps to make your presence known sooner than later also. The die hard conservatives are mostly in the "grandparent" generation now, parents tend to be cool with most things.

マンツーマン 英会話 神戸 三宮 リアライズ -James- This is my life and why I know things about Japan.
(#25 (permalink))
Old
Suki (Offline)
armed with a mind

Send a message via MSN to Suki
03-27-2011, 07:44 PM

I smile and wave at random kids all the time and no one's ever had a problem with it. Even the parents encourage the kid to respond to it cause they like that someone's noticing their cute little baby. But I'm a girl and I look harmless and nice, plus kids seem to like me lots, maybe I would have experienced a bunch of different reactions if I were a guy, dunno.

everything is relative and contradictory ~
(#26 (permalink))
Old
stickmichael (Offline)
JF Regular

03-27-2011, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suki View Post
I smile and wave at random kids all the time and no one's ever had a problem with it. Even the parents encourage the kid to respond to it cause they like that someone's noticing their cute little baby. But I'm a girl and I look harmless and nice, plus kids seem to like me lots, maybe I would have experienced a bunch of different reactions if I were a guy, dunno.
Yea I have figured that it is most likely because I am a guy and yea guess I look a little more scary than a girl. lol
(#27 (permalink))
Old
TrainOfThought (Offline)
JF Regular

03-27-2011, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickmichael View Post
Yea I have figured that it is most likely because I am a guy and yea guess I look a little more scary than a girl. lol
I'm pretty sure it's 'cause you're a guy, yeah. I'm a guy, and I like kids as well. Sometimes I get weird looks just for saying that, and it's like they think you're a paedophile just 'cause your a guy and like kids.

Long story coming up.

I'll never forget this one time a couple of years ago when I went to Ikea in Gothenburg. It's a pretty big place, and it's easy to get lost if you're a kid. Anyways, so there I was, walking around looking for a new desk when I see this 4-5 year old girl standing in a corner crying her eyes out.
I looked around but I didn't see anyone who could be her parent, so I went up to her and asked her if she was lost.
She told me she couldn't find her mum, so I told her that we'd go look for her.
I took her to whatever you call the place where they let people know their kid is there, they have to move the car etc etc, and just as I was about to tell the staff what was going on I hear a loud scream behind me.
I turn around and see a woman in her mid 30's running towards me screaming "let go of my baby!!" (the kid was holding my hand/finger).
I didn't even have time to open my mouth and tell her what was going on before she grabbed my hair and pulled me down and hit me several times on the back with a closed fist screaming "you disgusting paedophile! leave my baby alone!"
Then she let go of my hair and slapped me in the face (hard!).
I didn't do or say anything at the time as I was in shock.
Two of the guys from the staff managed to get her off of me, and held her back.
I was still just standing there, looking at her.
After about a minute of cursing and screaming she finally calmed down, and I explained to her what had happened, and she said:
"Oh! I didn't know... You know how it is!" then gave me a quick smile, grabbed her kid and walked/ran away.

I know that was an extreme case, but it hurts knowing that some people think I'd do something to their kid just 'cause I'm a guy. I'm pretty sure that woman wouldn't have reacted the same way if a random girl had found her daughter instead of me. =/

"Where you invest your love, you invest your life."
Mumford and Sons - Awake My Soul

"We can hope for the future, but there may not be one."
Dream Theater - A Change of Seasons
(#28 (permalink))
Old
tenmins (Offline)
JF Regular

03-28-2011, 06:20 AM

If you want to be a hit with the Japanese kids take my advice and shave your head. They will all think you are anpanman and you'll be famous in no time, especially if you live in a small town.

It worked for me ... (not by choice though as I was already in the practice of shaving off the little hair I had left )

Less is more...

http://www.tenmins.com

Last edited by tenmins : 03-28-2011 at 06:23 AM.
(#29 (permalink))
Old
TalnSG (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to TalnSG
03-28-2011, 07:42 PM

This sounds like quite an inrresponsible mother having a fit so she would appear to be concerned.
1 - Neither the kid nor you saw her in the vacinity.
2 - She was far enough away from her child that she was not aware of the crying.
3 - she was so inattentive that you were able to walk the child to the security desk before she noticed anything wrong.
4 - she completely disregarded that you were at a security desk; a very good sign that you are NOT abducting the child.

Not everyone who has children is qualified to raise them.
And you would have been perfectly justified in slapping her back - but that is just my opinion, not the law's.

Only an open mind and open heart can be filled with life.
Find your voice; silence will not protect you.
(#30 (permalink))
Old
stickmichael (Offline)
JF Regular

03-28-2011, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrainOfThought View Post
I'm pretty sure it's 'cause you're a guy, yeah. I'm a guy, and I like kids as well. Sometimes I get weird looks just for saying that, and it's like they think you're a paedophile just 'cause your a guy and like kids.

Long story coming up.

I'll never forget this one time a couple of years ago when I went to Ikea in Gothenburg. It's a pretty big place, and it's easy to get lost if you're a kid. Anyways, so there I was, walking around looking for a new desk when I see this 4-5 year old girl standing in a corner crying her eyes out.
I looked around but I didn't see anyone who could be her parent, so I went up to her and asked her if she was lost.
She told me she couldn't find her mum, so I told her that we'd go look for her.
I took her to whatever you call the place where they let people know their kid is there, they have to move the car etc etc, and just as I was about to tell the staff what was going on I hear a loud scream behind me.
I turn around and see a woman in her mid 30's running towards me screaming "let go of my baby!!" (the kid was holding my hand/finger).
I didn't even have time to open my mouth and tell her what was going on before she grabbed my hair and pulled me down and hit me several times on the back with a closed fist screaming "you disgusting paedophile! leave my baby alone!"
Then she let go of my hair and slapped me in the face (hard!).
I didn't do or say anything at the time as I was in shock.
Two of the guys from the staff managed to get her off of me, and held her back.
I was still just standing there, looking at her.
After about a minute of cursing and screaming she finally calmed down, and I explained to her what had happened, and she said:
"Oh! I didn't know... You know how it is!" then gave me a quick smile, grabbed her kid and walked/ran away.

I know that was an extreme case, but it hurts knowing that some people think I'd do something to their kid just 'cause I'm a guy. I'm pretty sure that woman wouldn't have reacted the same way if a random girl had found her daughter instead of me. =/
Yep so you feel my pain. lol Except you felt it physically as well. That sux.