JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#71 (permalink))
Old
tokusatsufan (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-06-2011, 09:25 PM

I like girls being masculine but in the Japanese/Korean way[it does exist],not just having no respect for anybody!
(#72 (permalink))
Old
Ryzorian (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

05-06-2011, 10:34 PM

Ronin; Iowa has a deal with China about tradeing hogs and another for corn. These were specifically crafted under then Governor Vil-whoever he was. As to wether the Ag department has any say over it, who knows..they change rules, laws and defacto departments so often, I doubt anybody really knows who's connected to what.

I do understand what your saying about Scottland, It's not quite the same as it is with the States. Does Scottland send anybody to the House of Commons or House of Lord? Does Ireland? Personally I don't know if they do or not. Thought Scottland was a "commonwealth".
(#73 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

05-06-2011, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryzorian View Post
Ronin; Iowa has a deal with China about tradeing hogs and another for corn. These were specifically crafted under then Governor Vil-whoever he was. As to wether the Ag department has any say over it, who knows..they change rules, laws and defacto departments so often, I doubt anybody really knows who's connected to what.

I do understand what your saying about Scottland, It's not quite the same as it is with the States. Does Scottland send anybody to the House of Commons or House of Lord? Does Ireland? Personally I don't know if they do or not. Thought Scottland was a "commonwealth".
Ryzorian, this reminded me how my state, Oregon, has it's own trade office in Tokyo. The office has native Japanese staff whose job is to help facilitate travel and trade strictly with businesses and locales in Oregon. Our geographical location makes this more obvious than an office in, say, London, but there are only a couple other states that do this, I believe. This is separate from the US Trade officers there. I, too, am not sure about legalities, but I know my state strikes up deals with other countries for trade that other states do not have, and works independent of the federal government in making those deals. Obviously they cannot break federal laws, but still.
(#74 (permalink))
Old
Ronin4hire (Offline)

05-07-2011, 04:28 AM

Quote:

Well of course they're not exactly the same and I never said they were.

They are the same in the nature of their relationship.

As for your description of Iowa's foreign...trade relations.

I don't know what point you're trying to make... but if you're trying to argue that the states of the USA are completely independent (which seems to be the only point that would be relevant in context with what I've said thus far) then you're an idiot.
(#75 (permalink))
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)

05-07-2011, 08:45 AM

Quote:

actually the scottish national party has just won the majority of votes in a recent election. Unfortunately for we English we are still stuck with David Cameron and the Conservatives. The liberal democrats have lost many many seats.

Many scots would prefer to rule themselves.

Of course they have representatives in Parliament.

Consider that they are able to offer students free places in University-- whereas we in England have to Pay. In the past there have been many battles between the English and the Scots.

Part of the powers of Govt. for Scotland have been devolved from the English Govt. just as Wales and Northern Ireland have.

Scotland is part of Great Britain or the United Kingdom. we are supposed to call ourselves europeans-- but I do not consider myself European at all. I wish we would leave the EU.

Last edited by dogsbody70 : 05-07-2011 at 08:53 AM.
(#76 (permalink))
Old
Ghap (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-07-2011, 10:57 AM

Intresting reading but sorry OP nobody actually seemed to answer you original question unfortunatley.

Tho as I said intresting in its way and I feel there are a couple points I could add too.

1)First point is people seem to be leaving out the plural (s), Its not the United Kingdom its United Kingdoms..Wales, Scotland and Ireland each have their own history, culture and heritage prior to the act of union.

Each country makes and enforce their laws (with the possible exception of Wales who share common law with England)

Each have their own governing body (eg parliment, assembley, congress).

2) Second point for the person who couldnt understand how Scotland could be a seperate country and California couldnt.....

The United States of America is a Federal goverment
The United Kingdoms of Great Britain and Northen Ireland is a constitutional monarchy

Short answer is were different...but naybe not so different as you think..I wouldnt call a texan a yankee...you shouldnt call a Scott an Englishman....respect if nothing else.

3) British girls accents sound masculine?

Well were all entitled to prefrences but you can hardley hold somones accent against them.

4) British people are football hooligans/Gentlemen

Here I have no defence 1000+ Brits in one place tend to be complete and utter dickheads...All I can say is you will never find me with them so if you want to see the gentleman Brit make sure hes not part of the mob and you willo never meet a nicer person
(#77 (permalink))
Old
RobinMask (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-18-2011, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghap View Post
1)First point is people seem to be leaving out the plural (s), Its not the United Kingdom its United Kingdoms..Wales, Scotland and Ireland each have their own history, culture and heritage prior to the act of union.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryzorian
It's not quite the same as it is with the States. Does Scottland send anybody to the House of Commons or House of Lord? Does Ireland?
Can I point out that Ireland is not connected to the United Kingdom in any way, shape or form? It's actually an entirely seperate entity and has great animosity towards the UK (especially England), and what I believe you all mean is Northern Ireland. I know I'm being extremely pedantic with semantics, but it had to be said :P
(#78 (permalink))
Old
tazzy (Offline)
JF Regular

05-18-2011, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinMask View Post
Can I point out that Ireland is not connected to the United Kingdom in any way, shape or form? It's actually an entirely seperate entity and has great animosity towards the UK (especially England), and what I believe you all mean is Northern Ireland. I know I'm being extremely pedantic with semantics, but it had to be said :P
That's the Republic of Ireland.
Northern Ireland has just as much right to the Irish name as Eire.
And most southern Irish people don't havem uch animosity towards the UK these days at all.
(#79 (permalink))
Old
RobinMask (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-18-2011, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazzy View Post
That's the Republic of Ireland.
Northern Ireland has just as much right to the Irish name as Eire.
And most southern Irish people don't havem uch animosity towards the UK these days at all.
I think that's a whole other debate . . . but in my experience "Ireland" is almost exclusively used for the south, and "Northern Ireland" for the north. You may be right, both have a right to the name, and both are - in some respects - essentially 'Ireland', but in a discussion about the UK it is incorrect (and possibly confusing) to simply label the north as "Ireland". They are two seperate countries with highly similiar names and histories, to say "Ireland" when one means the north is asking for confusion. That's just one opinion though.

I know that the majority of the Irish are fine, upstanding people, however there are a large minority with animosity towards the UK, and these people are vocal and dangerous. I only need to point out the recent controversies, extreme security, and worry concerning the queen's visit to give evidence of that.
(#80 (permalink))
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)

05-18-2011, 09:42 PM

surely Northern Ireland is part of the United Kingdom.

efforts today were being made to have forgiveness for what happened in southern Ireland.

It is not wise to incense the situation further-- it was bad enough during the IRA days. Very worrying that some are keen to start all over again.