(#61 (permalink))
Old
AnimeNerd (Offline)
New to JF

05-05-2011, 09:15 AM

My Top 10 movie choices, must be... !

1. Jarhead
2. Spirited Away
3. Universal Soldiers (Favourite as a kid)
4. The Matrix
5. Howl's Moving Castle
6. Inception
7. Pineapple Express
8. The Hangover
9. Pearl Harbour
10. Avatar

Hohohoho! Couldn't remember my favourite movies. So I just mentioned a few good movies.

Live, laugh, try, fail, regret, succeeding, mastering, crying, sadness, and last but not least: Joy.

These are all a few examples of what life has to offer. But in the end, you get experience. Memories you can rely on. Love. Thoughts, like "Hey, I did this and that. Oh, those were the times."

Live life. Don't be afraid. Only YOU can limit yourself!

Think positive,
not negative
(#62 (permalink))
Old
Suki (Offline)
armed with a mind

Send a message via MSN to Suki
05-05-2011, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salvanas View Post
It's interesting to see people talk and complain about films, but you will have to excuse me when I say that I find it pathetic when people consider less of people because of films.
Do you mean me? Cause I never insulted anyone for thinking Casablanca doesn't deserve to be in a Top Ten.

Quote:
I'm surprised no one has stated Seven Samurai and Zatoichi. Easily two of my fav films. I also find that Samurai Fiction has a soft spot in my heart too.
The only good thing about Zatoichi is it inspired Tarantino to write Kill Bill. Other than that and maybe a couple of the geisha fighting scenes, I thought it was pretty disappointing but I won't think less of anyone for liking it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeD View Post
Terminator 2
YAY!

everything is relative and contradictory ~
(#63 (permalink))
Old
Salvanas (Offline)
Great, just my luck.

05-05-2011, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Do you mean me? Cause I never insulted anyone for thinking Casablanca doesn't deserve to be in a Top Ten.
It was a musing of mine, aimed at a general audience more than anything. I was not singling you out. You should know me, by now! If I meant to single you out, I would have done

Quote:
The only good thing about Zatoichi is it inspired Tarantino to write Kill Bill. Other than that and maybe a couple of the geisha fighting scenes, I thought it was pretty disappointing but I won't think less of anyone for liking it.
Oh, I thoroughly enjoyed it personally. It was simple, and it portrayed the character how I liked it.

Pretty much on the same lines as why the newer Sherlock Holme film is one of my favourite films out there. It puts Holmes in a light that I can connect with, and thoroughly enjoy him in. Much like Watson. Many people would disagree.

- “I've been lucky. I'll be lucky again.” -
(#64 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

05-05-2011, 08:47 PM

Quote:

I'm surprised no one has stated Seven Samurai and Zatoichi. Easily two of my fav films. I also find that Samurai Fiction has a soft spot in my heart too.
I have been waiting to put up my list a little bit, just to see what people are putting up. I am afraid my list is going to look old and curmudgeonly, but you will see Seven Samurai in the Top 3.
(#65 (permalink))
Old
Suki (Offline)
armed with a mind

05-05-2011, 09:22 PM

Quote:

It was a musing of mine, aimed at a general audience more than anything. I was not singling you out. You should know me, by now! If I meant to single you out, I would have done
Aha. Straightforward kinda guy, I see.

Quote:
Oh, I thoroughly enjoyed it personally. It was simple, and it portrayed the character how I liked it.
I thought the character was kind of naive, kinda hard to empathize with, so I got bored within the first few minutes. I get that with pretty much every Kitano movie. But then again, I hardly ever like any of the Japanese films I watch. I really tried to like them but I can't seem to get into them. Best one I've seen would have to be Ugetsu. At least it was unlike anything I've ever seen.

MMM, I took a class on Welles today. Got me thinking about what we discussed here a few days ago. We pretty much talked about The Magnificent Ambersons, the one he made after Citizen Kane, and apparently the RKO released a final version of the film that was totally different from what he had initially planned. He pretty much didn't get a say in anything and they included scenes that Welles didn't mean to put in the film. I wonder how much of that was the result of the failure that was Citizen Kane at that time. I didn't get to ask if Welles really had no one to answer to while he was filming Citizen Kane, but it got me thinking... despite having control over everything during the process, I think the RKO supervised the process closely.

(#66 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

05-05-2011, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suki View Post
MMM, I took a class on Welles today. Got me thinking about what we discussed here a few days ago. We pretty much talked about The Magnificent Ambersons, the one he made after Citizen Kane, and apparently the RKO released a final version of the film that was totally different from what he had initially planned. He pretty much didn't get a say in anything and they included scenes that Welles didn't mean to put in the film. I wonder how much of that was the result of the failure that was Citizen Kane at that time. I didn't get to ask if Welles really had no one to answer to while he was filming Citizen Kane, but it got me thinking... despite having control over everything during the process, I think the RKO supervised the process closely.
Yes, Welles was put on a short leash after Citizen Kane, as, in the studio's eyes, it was not considered a success. It wasn't until a few years later people were able to take another look and appreciate it for what it was. (I believe it was the French critics that revived CK, although it was lauded by many critics stateside.) Even classic movies by Welles like Touch of Evil and The Third Man have major studio changes. A few years ago Criterion released what they think would be Welles' version of the film based on his notes and letters he wrote to the studio. Definitely worth checking out... one of the most amazing one-cut opening sequences of all time in Touch of Evil. The sound is just as incredible as the visuals.
(#67 (permalink))
Old
tokusatsufan (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-05-2011, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suki View Post

Funny you should say that,I actually have a male friend that likes Twilight!
I can't comment on the quality of it really,I haven't seen it.
(#68 (permalink))
Old
Ryzorian (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

05-05-2011, 11:37 PM

I love Lord of the Rings...Though really you need to watch the Extended versions, they are truer to the books. I read the books in 4th grade...way back in..77,78....took a while to read 1000 pages. I dont even mind some of the "liberties" they took.. Like there were no elves at Helms deep aside from Legolas..but it fit well with how the Movie was going.

The eagles flew into Mordor after they got rid of the Ring, so that's not a huge thing cause Sauron allready lost.

The Big element in the story was that Sauron was going to win no matter what anybody did. Sauron didn't need the ring to win. The good guys could only defeat him by destroying the ring...and only the two lowest dudes who nobody would notice could do it. Not Kings, or wizards or elf heros... but two shmucks from the farm.
(#69 (permalink))
Old
Suki (Offline)
armed with a mind

05-06-2011, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
one of the most amazing one-cut opening sequences of all time in Touch of Evil.
Tell me about it! I wrote a 15-pages paper on this shot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tokusatsufan
Funny you should say that,I actually have a male friend that likes Twilight!
I can't comment on the quality of it really,I haven't seen it.
Quality production wise? High. Like, very.

I don't know why people hate the Twilight saga so much. I have not seen any of the movies or read the books, but I can see why it sells so well and why all the 15 year-olds are so hooked on it. I mean, it's no wonder it's a success. It has everything a good story needs to attract a huge audience (especially teenagers). What's there to hate about it? They know how to sell their product + vampires are so in vogue these days. I don't get why all the hate towards this Pattinson boy, really.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryzorian
I dont even mind some of the "liberties" they took.. Like there were no elves at Helms deep aside from Legolas..but it fit well with how the Movie was going.
Some things happen in the books that didn't make it to the movies and some things happen in the movies that are nowhere in the books. No biggie. There's no way you can fit everything from a book into a movie. Adapting a book for a screenplay is about taking the essence of the story. It's not a picture version of the book you read, and people need to understand that. Plus it wouldn't work. I truly believe the Lord of the Rings would not have been half the success it is if the movies were any more true to the books.

(#70 (permalink))
Old
termogard (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Post memorable line - 05-08-2011, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryzorian View Post
.what memorable line can Avatar produce? "I was afraid..for my people, but I'm not anymore"?....please....
~This is how it's done. When people are sittin' on shit that you want, you make 'em your enemy. Then you're justified in taking it. (C)