LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
termogard (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Smile other culture - 07-09-2011, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umihito View Post
The businessmen I could understand, but it was everyone, even the casual men and women....Yeah, this was something else I suspected. My local city has this, but I still stop for them just in case it's a question.
You see, we grew up in a totally different culture(-ures). So, it's quite normal for us to stop in response to question of a foreigner, smile and try to help even in case of a language barrier.
As far as I know, Japanese people in general are taught not to show emotions. Japanese residents of this forum could correct me, If I am wrong. So, it is usual thing when you see no smiles and no significant attention in response to your questions from their side.
(#12 (permalink))
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

07-09-2011, 08:02 AM

should one generalise a whole nation?

surely they are individuals as are we?

none of us are perfect. One can give a certain illusion about country men and women--but most are simply surviving.

As Shakespeare so eloquently put it--

All the world's a stage,
And all the men and women merely players:
They have their exits and their entrances;
And one man in his time plays many parts,

So true. We all put on an act for others.

Maybe the Japanese are even better actors than some others.
(#13 (permalink))
Old
Maxful (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-09-2011, 12:46 PM

My view is that every country is the same. There bound to be good, bad, arrogant, selfish, kind and evil people all across the world.

One can't expect all the Japanese to be the kind and gentle, else there would be no crimes and fights in Japan.

百の失敗より一つの後悔をしたくない。

失敗をしない人間はいない。 いるのは失敗から立ち直れない奴と
立ち直れる奴だ。
(#14 (permalink))
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)

07-09-2011, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxful View Post
My view is that every country is the same. There ARE bound to be good, bad, arrogant, selfish, kind and evil people all across the world.

One can't expect all the Japanese to be the kind and gentle, else there would be no crimes and fights in Japan.
Maybe "Otherwise" there would be no crimes-- etc etc.

we are human beings with many faults and virtues. We are not saints thank goodness.
(#15 (permalink))
Old
Maxful (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-09-2011, 04:24 PM

Thanks for the correction, dogsbody70.

百の失敗より一つの後悔をしたくない。

失敗をしない人間はいない。 いるのは失敗から立ち直れない奴と
立ち直れる奴だ。
(#16 (permalink))
Old
BobbyCooper (Offline)
Banned

07-09-2011, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogsbody70 View Post
Maybe "Otherwise" there would be no crimes-- etc etc.

we are human beings with many faults and virtues. We are not saints thank goodness.
Oh it would be foolish to think "otherwise"..

The thing you need to understand is that some Nations and their people have a different mindset, with different moral values and different behaviour.

Are the Japanese and Koreans more kind and more caring then the Western Society?

It's impossible to deny that fact and can't be answered with every human being is different!

Does Japan have black sheeps? Of course, but compared to Great Britian, the Japanese people spread much more love and kindness.

Or is the Peace symbol also just an "act" for you?

your first post and the word act really made me mad but I try to keep my emotions down because I am one of the few who do care.
(#17 (permalink))
Old
JohnBraden (Offline)

07-09-2011, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyCooper View Post
Or is the Peace symbol also just an "act" for you?
If you are referring to the v-sign the Japanese tend to make when taking photos, I don't think they mean "peace" like in the 60s photos you see....

V sign - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I doubt most Japanese know of the peace movement in the 60s and associate the v-sign to that. It's like "say cheese!" in the states.... it's something they do....
(#18 (permalink))
Old
BobbyCooper (Offline)
Banned

07-09-2011, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBraden View Post
If you are referring to the v-sign the Japanese tend to make when taking photos, I don't think they mean "peace" like in the 60s photos you see....

V sign - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I doubt most Japanese know of the peace movement in the 60s and associate the v-sign to that. It's like "say cheese!" in the states.... it's something they do....
It's the sign of peace and nobody knows when it started or why the Japanese are using it so commonly.

But it is the sign of peace and the Japanese know that cause my friends always referred to it as the Sign of Peace.

The Japanese Version (the Sign of Peace) - The V-sign - Icons of England
(#19 (permalink))
Old
JohnBraden (Offline)

07-09-2011, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyCooper View Post
It's the sign of peace and nobody knows when it started or why the Japanese are using it so commonly.

But it is the sign of peace and the Japanese know that cause my friends always referred to it as the Sign of Peace.

The Japanese Version (the Sign of Peace) - The V-sign - Icons of England
Actually it's a victory sign, but it's not that important. It's also not important that it's just an act, as you questioned it to be to Dogsbody70.

I don't try to sound mean and if I do, I apologize. But as I see things haven't changed much, I can't go ahead and comment much in this thread without sounding like I'm against the Japanese....
(#20 (permalink))
Old
BobbyCooper (Offline)
Banned

07-09-2011, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBraden View Post
Actually it's a victory sign, but it's not that important. It's also not important that it's just an act, as you questioned it to be to Dogsbody70.

I don't try to sound mean and if I do, I apologize. But as I see things haven't changed much, I can't go ahead and comment much in this thread without sounding like I'm against the Japanese....
It's not the victory sign for the Japanese, that is what I was trying to tell you. Every Japanese and even a couple Koreans which I have met, referred to it as the sign of Peace when we made a Photo together.

I am questioning that kindness is an "act" which is a very offensive thing to say btw. At least in my point of view! Maybe I am the only one here.. but Kindness cannot be an act if an entire Nation behaves that way and even most Asian Nations behave that way. I am suprised that nobody takes a stand here ones again and just leaves her ignorant comment untouched like this.

I am sorry to disagree with her post and be pro-Japanese here and defend the NAtion and their people as a whole. I don't know why I have to agree with your and her view here. I believe she is very wrong!

You don't sound against Japanese at all to me. I just tried to tell, that the Japanese people refer to it as the sign of Peace not Victory.

Also the meaning of this symbol changed from Victory to Peace a couple of decades ago.

Last edited by BobbyCooper : 07-09-2011 at 06:50 PM.