(#11 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
07-31-2011, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingsToDiscovery View Post
I don't get the city life bashing. I mean, maybe if you're older and want to settle down and raise your children, a city might not be that great. But when you're young and you want the latest in art, fashion, music, entertainment, food, and everything else, you can't get that level anywhere else. It might be dirty, cramped, and crowded, but it's lively.
I hope my post wasn`t interpreted as city bashing. I live in a city, and love living in a city. But there is city-life, and then there is a step beyond where the fun starts getting to be a pain because you have to fight through the crowds and grime just to get to it... And it is no longer fun after you`ve waited in line for 3 hours.

I guess it is because I live in a huge city that *isn`t* that way that I say this. Any "fun" in Tokyo took twice as long as it would have at home because everyone else was trying to have fun in the same place... And when I was tired from the crushing crowds, every retreat was also full of people trying to retreat (but not succeeding).

What I am trying to say is that most new things in Japan hit the three main metro areas - Tokyo, Osaka, and Nagoya. You can be in the other two and still get the positives of a huge city in Japan without the negatives of *Tokyo*.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#12 (permalink))
Old
glowsilver (Offline)
New to JF

07-31-2011, 04:17 PM

I have to say that on the two occasions I've been to Tokyo I found it beautifully clean ... But then my home is London, which really IS filthy, and I don't think I've seen enough of Japan to compare (I have only been to Tokyo and Nagano)
(#13 (permalink))
Old
BobbyCooper (Offline)
Banned

07-31-2011, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyororin View Post
I hope my post wasn`t interpreted as city bashing. I live in a city, and love living in a city. But there is city-life, and then there is a step beyond where the fun starts getting to be a pain because you have to fight through the crowds and grime just to get to it... And it is no longer fun after you`ve waited in line for 3 hours.

I guess it is because I live in a huge city that *isn`t* that way that I say this. Any "fun" in Tokyo took twice as long as it would have at home because everyone else was trying to have fun in the same place... And when I was tired from the crushing crowds, every retreat was also full of people trying to retreat (but not succeeding).

What I am trying to say is that most new things in Japan hit the three main metro areas - Tokyo, Osaka, and Nagoya. You can be in the other two and still get the positives of a huge city in Japan without the negatives of *Tokyo*.
Or you can have it all!!

There is a reason why Tokyo is the number 1 spot in Japan for travelers and not Nagoya or Osaka. And it's not because of it's history. Kinda the same thing for Berlin in Germany, or NewYork in the United States.. even though San Francisco and Munich offer so much as well and are completely different.

People do not just go to Tokyo because it's Tokyo. They go there because it's Tokyo!
(#14 (permalink))
Old
GoNative (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

07-31-2011, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingsToDiscovery View Post
I don't get the city life bashing. I mean, maybe if you're older and want to settle down and raise your children, a city might not be that great. But when you're young and you want the latest in art, fashion, music, entertainment, food, and everything else, you can't get that level anywhere else. It might be dirty, cramped, and crowded, but it's lively.
Not sure if it has anything to do with age. I have never liked big cities. I grew up in one and just couldn't wait to get out. I've always preferred natural places and experiences over those offered in man made places like cities. There's been a couple of cities I have actually really liked. Tokyo though definitely isn't one of them.

Last edited by GoNative : 07-31-2011 at 04:42 PM.
(#15 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
07-31-2011, 04:35 PM

Quote:
I have to say that on the two occasions I've been to Tokyo I found it beautifully clean ... But then my home is London, which really IS filthy, and I don't think I've seen enough of Japan to compare (I have only been to Tokyo and Nagano)
I agree that for a huge city, Tokyo is quite clean. But as far as a Japanese city goes, I find it pretty grimy. Perspective, I suppose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyCooper View Post
People do not just go to Tokyo because it's Tokyo. They go there because it's Tokyo!
I know they go there because it`s Tokyo. That is my point, really. I`m not bashing anyone who loved Tokyo on a visit to Japan. I`m basically saying that as someone who lives in Japan, and who is familiar with other locations in Japan, my view of the city is quite a bit different than that of someone who is on vacation in Tokyo.

In my view, big Japanese cities really tend to be pretty homogeneous. There isn`t something, to me, that makes Tokyo stand out as being unique... Other than the level of the negatives I listed earlier.
Osaka is a step down on the negative scale, and Nagoya is one more step down (with more open space and parks).

The real variety of Japan is when you get to much smaller cities, but that is an entirely different topic.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#16 (permalink))
Old
JohnBraden (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

07-31-2011, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyCooper View Post
Or you can have it all!!

There is a reason why Tokyo is the number 1 spot in Japan for travelers and not Nagoya or Osaka. And it's not because of it's history. Kinda the same thing for Berlin in Germany, or NewYork in the United States.. even though San Francisco and Munich offer so much as well and are completely different.

....and most flights tend to land there as well.... It's the only city one tends to think of when thinking or hearing of Japan. It's the capital. They made a Fast and Furious movie about it....

I do love the countryside of Japan. I spent two years driving on route 45 and what I saw was gorgeous. But I also like the big city. It makes you part of something bigger than you, even though most people in it are closed up and in their own world. You can feel alone in a crowd if you want or feel like your part of the action. I like the little neighborhoods the most-the ones that don't see gaijin on a regular basis....

Last edited by JohnBraden : 07-31-2011 at 05:39 PM.
(#17 (permalink))
Old
tokusatsufan (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-31-2011, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbine View Post
Oooh, did you try it out? Details please~
It was kind of downstairs if I remember correctly. I think it was by an electronics place. The food was very good. I can't remember what I had. What kind of details do you want?! It's quite hazy now. I remember loving it.

The reason why I want to live in Tokyo (and Asakusa should be different,I mean there's only really the temple and the tourists at one time of the year,it sounds quite similar to Cornwall from what I've heard!) is that I read if you want a job then you have to work in Tokyo or you're nobody,basically. I don't believe everything I read but I think that might be true.

BobbyCooper,I know they go to Tokyo because it's Tokyo,what's your point?!

Last edited by tokusatsufan : 07-31-2011 at 11:10 PM.
(#18 (permalink))
Old
acjama (Offline)
JF Regular

07-31-2011, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tokusatsufan View Post
It was kind of downstairs if I remember correctly. I think it was by an electronics place.
Well, that certainly narrowed it down...
SORRY, sorry! I just couldn't resist. Just couldn't.

There is the Siddique.
(#19 (permalink))
Old
samokan (Offline)
0xFFFF_FFFF

08-01-2011, 01:18 AM

Suprisingly, I do miss Tokyo. Not the crowded streets but friends I left there.

Our weekend trip to some Asian festival somewhere, our long walk in the suburbs of Tokyo. Trip to the surrounding areas like Chiba, Saitama, Kanagawa.

*** Omnia Muntantor, Nihil Interit ***

My Japan Life

-------------------------------------
(#20 (permalink))
Old
acjama (Offline)
JF Regular

08-01-2011, 01:42 AM

I miss nighttime Shinobazu pond in Ueno. Sitting in a bench, eating kombini grilled food, drinking and listening to traffic and noises coming from Ueno Zoo, looking at the city skyline. Late night walk along the Sumida river and narrow streets of Asakusa...

I used to live in Hinatawada, which is two stations beyond Oume station. There are so many Tokyoites who refuse to acknowledge that that is also part of metropolitan Tokyo, because it's completely countryside with Tama-river and mountains. Evening in the big city and for the night, back home to the "countryside", best of both Japanese worlds in one day. Aah, the glorious bachelor days.