JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
SobaUdon (Offline)
New to JF

God I miss Tokyo so much - 07-30-2011, 10:49 PM

I miss the crowded streets. I miss eating delicious cheap soba that's better than the most expensive ones in my country. I miss all the pretty Japanese girls. I miss all the lights. I miss all the narrow streets with hundreds of shops in them. I miss the giant electronic stores. I miss spending the night at a manga cafe after missing the last train home.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
WingsToDiscovery (Offline)
JF Noob

07-30-2011, 10:53 PM

I don't have AS strong of a view as that, but I honestly do find a real charm in Tokyo compared to the quaint American east coast city I'm writing from right now, mainly the things you listed. Actually, I've only got a bout 4 days left til I'm back in Tokyo.

I'm not a cynic; I just like to play Devil's Advocate once in a while.
My photos from Japan and around the world:
http://www.flickr.com/dylanwphotography
(#3 (permalink))
Old
BobbyCooper (Offline)
Banned

07-31-2011, 10:05 AM

I like it Lets continue this thread in this way please.

It would be a suprise if we can lol
(#4 (permalink))
Old
tokusatsufan (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-31-2011, 10:42 AM

In the short time I was in Tokyo I loved it,although I have only been to London and a couple of places in Cornwall so I didn't have a lot to compare it to. And I did manage to find a vegetarian restaurant in Akihabara which I didn't expect.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
GoNative (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

07-31-2011, 11:10 AM

Well I don't miss Tokyo at all. I really don't like big cities and Tokyo is no exception. I do miss Hokkaido though and the town I lived in there so much it hurts!!
(#6 (permalink))
Old
Umihito (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-31-2011, 12:32 PM

I'm with GoNative on this one.
Honestly I don't miss Tokyo one bit. There was nothing to really... grab me there. The only thing I do miss of it is the night views of the cityscape, but that's all.

Kanagawa though, I miss that tremendously. I could live there happily for a long long time.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
Columbine (Offline)

07-31-2011, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tokusatsufan View Post
And I did manage to find a vegetarian restaurant in Akihabara which I didn't expect.
Oooh, did you try it out? Details please~
(#8 (permalink))
Old
JohnBraden (Offline)

07-31-2011, 01:41 PM

I miss the feeling I had when I was in Tokyo, or Japan for that matter. I felt completely free, devoid of the issues back home:work, neighbors, drama, etc. Could I feel the same if I were in Madrid or Malawi? Yes, of course! I'm away from it all, but I decided Japan was going to be my vacation destination and there ya go. My fourth time, in country, will be in March, in time to commemorate the anniversary of the earthquake. I may even be in Sendai that day, who knows....
(#9 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
07-31-2011, 03:49 PM

Add me to the number that doesn`t miss Tokyo. It`s too frustrating, sprawling, dirty, cramped, and crowded...
I love city life, but once you go past a certain point there is nothing but negatives. I can`t see any reason - other than employment related - that someone would choose to suffer the negatives of Tokyo... If it were the only city in Japan, I could understand. But I can get all the advantages of a Japanese big city, for cheaper at that, elsewhere.

It may just be me, but every time I go to Tokyo I seriously can`t wait to leave.

I think JohnBraden has hit the nail on the head though about why people feel the way they do about certain places. There is a much different mindset to someone who is visiting a place rather than actually living there. I live in Japan, permanently, so Tokyo has no "removed from the reality of daily life" appeal. All the uniqueness of "Japan" is normal to me, so when in Tokyo - the negatives of the huge city environment are far more visible. To someone just visiting, the uniqueness of Japan erases all that... If they even find them negatives, as they are unaware that there are places in Japan where you can get the positives without them.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
WingsToDiscovery (Offline)
JF Noob

07-31-2011, 04:00 PM

I don't get the city life bashing. I mean, maybe if you're older and want to settle down and raise your children, a city might not be that great. But when you're young and you want the latest in art, fashion, music, entertainment, food, and everything else, you can't get that level anywhere else. It might be dirty, cramped, and crowded, but it's lively.

I'm not a cynic; I just like to play Devil's Advocate once in a while.
My photos from Japan and around the world:
http://www.flickr.com/dylanwphotography