JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#131 (permalink))
Old
Ryzorian (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

10-13-2011, 12:00 AM

I did show links once..nobody believe them anyway, so it's just a waste of time. But my source for the Spain being greenest country based on energy usage in Europe, that was just basic news on tv. So yes, it could be wrong.

It doesn't change my view about cheap fuel being a primary requirement for the US economy at least, just by sheer land mass/volume.

Nor does it change the fact that Europe is haveing a very difficult time due to poor spending habits that make US look frugal, and that takes some doing.
(#132 (permalink))
Old
Caerula (Offline)
JF Regular

10-16-2011, 12:32 PM

Why don´t you guys check this ranking list?

10 World’s Greenest Countries | Green Buzz

素晴らしい日ですね
(#133 (permalink))
Old
Ryzorian (Offline)

10-17-2011, 08:26 PM

I have noticed that anything in industry. If it says "ecologically safe" or "green biowhatever" it won't work. Least when it comes to chemicals. This is from experiance, green eco safe chemicals don't have nearly the power to do whatever task you need them to do compared to the basic chemical ones. It's the corrosive, lubricateing, heating, cooling aspect of those chemical reactions that make them work. Natural ones can mimic but they have never been able to duplicate.
(#134 (permalink))
Old
Atredies (Offline)
JF Old Timer

10-18-2011, 01:53 PM

a thread about 9/11 commemoration has turned into a strange insignificant political thread. i wonder....
(#135 (permalink))
Old
Heka41 (Offline)
New to JF

10-18-2011, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBraden View Post
I see things with a different point of view. I don't know anyone who died in that despicable act, so I have no personal attachment. I can understand what this date means to this country, but I, myself, feel it's a little overkill. What happened is a tragedy, but let's move on and get over it.

Just as an observation, twice as many people have been killed in the wars following this than in the actual attacks.
Quoted for truth

私の心を凍結
私の魂を凍結
私の愛を凍結
(#136 (permalink))
Old
GoNative (Offline)

10-18-2011, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atredies View Post
a thread about 9/11 commemoration has turned into a strange insignificant political thread. i wonder....
Threads evolve. Get over it.
(#137 (permalink))
Old
Ryzorian (Offline)

10-18-2011, 11:57 PM

Heka41; Pearl Harbor Killed less than 3000 but the war in the Pacific killed millions. The Arch Duke who was assassinated before WW1 was just one guy and 12 million died because of it. The list of minor/ small events that lead to much larger ones, runs throughout history. 1 small rock starts a rockslide.

The point is that the event itself is meerly a trigger, the strain for a much larger war was allready there, it just needed something to set it off.
(#138 (permalink))
Old
Salvanas (Offline)
Great, just my luck.

10-20-2011, 12:07 AM

It happened 10 years ago. Yes, it was sad. Yes, it was heart-wrenching at how many people died. Yet it should stay as a lesson to be learnt, and not become some sort of annual event.

It's the same with WW2. I don't think anyone sane in this world would deny the terror and horrors it brought to this world. But I feel that we do not need to constantly have to have it shoved into our faces.

Remembrance days are used, unfortunately, as a sort of propaganda in the long run. Why, for example, do we not have a day of remembrance for the native people who were slaughtered when people landed on America? Are their lives not worth remembering? The fact that we destroyed their homes, and took over, isn't worth remembering?

Yet, instead, you have your "independence day" which you hold like a trophy. Don't get me wrong, this isn't aimed at America alone. It's aimed at the world.

Countries and governments use days like this like a weapon against their enemies. You think people would forget 9/11 without having to have a remembrance day for it? I think not. It breeds hatred towards their enemies (which is natural, I know) but people who hold such hatred close to their hearts are easily manipulated with only a few subtle words.

In 9/11 case, the blame was Bin-Ladin. But so quickly, and so easily, everyone started to think all Muslims were terrorists. And every year, it just makes people recall that hatred.

- “I've been lucky. I'll be lucky again.” -
(#139 (permalink))
Old
Ryzorian (Offline)

10-20-2011, 12:22 AM

Americans like celebrateing military stuff..We remember the Alamo and Custer's last stand too..those were both losses by the way. It's just how we are.
Check out Arlington National Cemetary, the US worships war in ways few cultures ever have..cept perhaps the Spartans.
(#140 (permalink))
Old
Salvanas (Offline)
Great, just my luck.

10-20-2011, 12:31 AM

I understand that, but they all serve a purpose. To incite a fierce sense of patriotism. I mean, I'm not saying Custer and Alamo deserved to die.

I understand how Americans celebrating military aspects, it's a huge part of their culture. But Alamo and Custer isn't on the same scale that WW2, or 9/11 is used.

It could even be stated as brain washing, in extreme circumstances.

- “I've been lucky. I'll be lucky again.” -