JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#31 (permalink))
Old
Lazarus (Offline)
I eat drums for breakfast

03-07-2008, 11:35 PM

I couldn't imagine travelling alone in Japan at 16, you are pretty courageous. One issue is that you may be too young to get a full credit account with an overdraft. I can't imagine running out of money alone in Japan is much fun..

Without a travelling companion I would, personally, certainly get quite lonely, especially if my Japanese wasn't of a high enough standard to meet people and make friends.
But yeah, having the balls to go to Japan alone at 16 is quite commendable! You would certainly have an unforgettable experience.

For relaxing times, make it... Santori time.
(#32 (permalink))
Old
Vesperd (Offline)
Sit back and Chill.. :]

06-21-2009, 09:55 PM

Hey guys, sorry for leaving this thread unanswered... I've been so busy and totally forgot about it.

Well I just wanted to set this thread straight, I didn't go Japan in summer 2008. None of my friends were able to make it, because lack of money (as expected xD)

Instead I traveled to Vietnam with family, and had a great time. Looking back, I laugh at myself for being sooo naive xD I've always been adventurous at heart, which has lead me into all sorts of trouble.. like the time I wandered into a construction site, and was chased after by a big dog ^^

Did I really think £750 was enough for a 2 week holiday in Japan? Haha, I'd be living on pot noodles, and sleeping on benches all summer! hmmm what about souvenirs.. maybe an origami crane made by little children to the poor bum sleeping on the park bench xD

I'd like to thank everyone whose whose given me input, it was thanks to you I was able to make a decision, honestly I am glad I didn't go Japan alone at such a young age.

1 month, 1 year can do alot to your wisdom heh? Ghostblade?

2006 - Japanforum, remember it.

Last edited by Vesperd : 06-21-2009 at 09:59 PM.
(#33 (permalink))
Old
jwagner120787 (Offline)
JF Regular

Send a message via AIM to jwagner120787 Send a message via MSN to jwagner120787 Send a message via Yahoo to jwagner120787 Send a message via Skype™ to jwagner120787
06-22-2009, 09:38 PM

I'm going to be going to Japan next summer-ish by myself. I am using that time to save money so I have a nice nest-egg to enjoy myself in Japan. I hope it all goes well. I'm learning Japanese, both from penpals, as well as a private tutor in the meantime. I'm also learning as much as I can about the culture, so I don't act all tourist-y and disrespectful when I don't mean to be

Not sure when yet, but either May-ish or September-ish of 2010 is my trip to Japan. Sorry to hear yours didn't work out, and I hope I don't suffer a similar fate!
(#34 (permalink))
Old
JayT (Offline)
JF Old Timer

06-22-2009, 10:21 PM

do it! I'm going in December for a few months to brush up on my Japanese, alone. Same age too. It's quite a thrill and I find very easy to get around the Tokyo metro, it's easier than the London underground in my opinion.

[<--Nan's heart!]

(#35 (permalink))
Old
Vesperd (Offline)
Sit back and Chill.. :]

06-22-2009, 10:27 PM

Jwagner - Good luck getting there buddy! Come back and tell us all about it when you arrive in Japan

JayT - wow JayT you are very adventerous, at 17 and going Japan already? im envious :P Wish I had the guts and money to go alone! But alas it would have been a frightening trip for a first time solo flier... but I guess you're quite experienced? hm?

2006 - Japanforum, remember it.

Last edited by Vesperd : 06-23-2009 at 12:09 AM.
(#36 (permalink))
Old
JayT (Offline)
JF Old Timer

06-22-2009, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vesperd View Post
Jwagner - Good luck getting there buddy! Come back and tell us all about it when you arrive in Japan

JayT - wow JayT you are very adventerous, at 17 and going Japan already? im envious :P Wish I had the guts and money to go alone! But alas it would have been a frightening trip for a first time solo flier... but I guess you're quite experienced? hm?
Well it's definitely a little bit nerve wrenching at first.
Since there's so many people in Tokyo,
but most of them are willing to help you out if you need it!

Haha I remember the first time I rode the train in Tokyo I didn't pay the correct fair so when I went to exit the station the gate wouldn't let me out! I freaked out because at that time I didn't know of the fair adjustment machines, but a kind by stander helped me out right away!

Overall It's a very nice and safe place, I've never felt threatened before,
even at extreme hours of the night :O

I think flying solo is quite fun also!
Hopefully you'll get seated next to someone interesting!
Last time I flew alone I sat next to a photographer that took star pictures for national geographics, we had a quite interesting conversation the whole way !

: )

[<--Nan's heart!]

Last edited by Vesperd : 06-23-2009 at 12:09 AM.
(#37 (permalink))
Old
KittenCorpseLeccy (Offline)
JF Regular

Send a message via MSN to KittenCorpseLeccy
06-22-2009, 10:33 PM

you should take me ! lmao

loove Leccy !
(#38 (permalink))
Old
burkhartdesu (Offline)
JF Old Timer

06-23-2009, 01:01 AM

It all depends on who you go with.

I went to Japan with 15 other students, which I obviously don't recommend-- but my biggest regret is not being able to go with my girlfriend...

What's the point of experiencing something if you don't have anyone to reminisce with?
(#39 (permalink))
Old
Polar (Offline)
JF Old Timer

06-24-2009, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burkhartdesu View Post
It all depends on who you go with.

I went to Japan with 15 other students, which I obviously don't recommend-- but my biggest regret is not being able to go with my girlfriend...

What's the point of experiencing something if you don't have anyone to reminisce with?
A VERY good point, however it does work both ways. I had a blast on my own, had my GF been with me ... well ... it would have not been the same, she would have been miserable

But by and large I completely agree with you with the shared experience.
(#40 (permalink))
Old
pumpum (Offline)
JF Old Timer

06-24-2009, 01:24 AM

If you want to do something just do it - dont worry about the consequences.

The things that come to those who wait are the things that are left by those who got there first !