LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

03-15-2008, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chachava View Post
where are these places? I have been here a year now and haven't seen a single one in Tokyo or Yokohama...
I have seen a big increase in non-smoking places. 10 years ago, basically everywhere was "smoking" but now many chain restaurants have smoking and non-smoking sections, including the bigger McDonald's. There are smaller restaurants that are non-smoking. They are rare, and are going against the grain, but are for real.

Japan is making progress in this area, but still has a long way to go.
(#12 (permalink))
Old
sugoiaisukurimudesu (Offline)
New to JF

03-15-2008, 05:16 PM

Just to clear this up:

Though the USA produces (probably/nearly the most) tobacco, we have a lot more space for smokers (compared to Japan and Europe) and only 30-45% of the population smokes. Not only that, but smoking is prohibited in public areas in some states, so now there is much less smoke to be exposed to here, even though in many areas it never got bad.

I don't have asthma, but smoking irritates my eyes and throat, so I know where you are coming from.

さよならって言えなかった事、いつか許してね。同じ夢 を生きられないけど、ずっと見守ってるから。
Feel free to correct me
(#13 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

03-15-2008, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugoiaisukurimudesu View Post
Just to clear this up:

Though the USA produces (probably/nearly the most) tobacco, we have a lot more space for smokers (compared to Japan and Europe) and only 30-45% of the population smokes. Not only that, but smoking is prohibited in public areas in some states, so now there is much less smoke to be exposed to here, even though in many areas it never got bad.

I don't have asthma, but smoking irritates my eyes and throat, so I know where you are coming from.
Woah. Less than 1/4 of Americans smoke.
(#14 (permalink))
Old
sugoiaisukurimudesu (Offline)
New to JF

03-15-2008, 05:59 PM

No, maybe you're thinking of teens. I'm pretty sure it's around 35% to 40%. I'll look it up to be sure.

EDIT- Yeah, my statistic is outdated. It's only 20% now. Regardless, my point was that smoking is a minority in the US. Thanks for statistic correction.

さよならって言えなかった事、いつか許してね。同じ夢 を生きられないけど、ずっと見守ってるから。
Feel free to correct me

Last edited by sugoiaisukurimudesu : 03-15-2008 at 06:05 PM.
(#15 (permalink))
Old
Tonio (Offline)
New to JF

03-15-2008, 08:12 PM

I don't know, Japan is hard to smoke anymore-at least metro.

Just got back from Japan. You cannot smoke in train stations except for certain "smoking corners" at designated times. forget dowtown Yokohama. You will get a ticket for smoking in public, and they have a smoking room on the just outside the train station. Now that was funny, go into a room full of smoke, you don't even need to light up

Narita airport -you can only smoke outside in smoking corners. and some restaurants have smoking/non smoking sections.

I hardly saw anyone smoking other than those designated smoking areas. I almost felt guilty.
(#16 (permalink))
Old
Miyavifan (Offline)
I Support DBSK always...

03-15-2008, 08:24 PM

Huh. Doesn't it make it difficult for jrockers, for one, then? There's quite alot who smoke.

hide... always in my heart. I love you.... my pink spider....
My one wish is 2 meet Kyo. seriously.
R.I.P. Jasmine....
(#17 (permalink))
Old
chachava (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via MSN to chachava
03-16-2008, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
I have seen a big increase in non-smoking places. 10 years ago, basically everywhere was "smoking" but now many chain restaurants have smoking and non-smoking sections, including the bigger McDonald's. There are smaller restaurants that are non-smoking. They are rare, and are going against the grain, but are for real.

Japan is making progress in this area, but still has a long way to go.
True, but the non-smokingn sections are those stupid partitions which let the smoke into the other areas anyway lol

It's like Japanese people think the smoke will obey the rules and not stray into the non-smoking areas
(#18 (permalink))
Old
lpdirufangirl09 (Offline)
Gaijin Zombie Hero

Send a message via AIM to lpdirufangirl09
03-16-2008, 01:45 AM

i live in louisiana.
idk if this law this everywhere else, but here, you cannot smoke in any restaurant or, i think, bar.
you CAN, however, have a drink or 2 or 4, drive home, and potentially get in a wreck and possibly kill someone and/or yourself.

to me, that is completely ignorant.

I'll bloom as the poison flower
and become the flower that blooms again.

(#19 (permalink))
Old
Hyakushi (Offline)
Ikaga desu ka!?

03-16-2008, 01:53 AM

Theres alot of smoking in japan it doesn't really bother me all to much but I smoke too so hahahaha yea if you ask them not to smoke near you they won't be offended by it.

I'm not racist . . . I hate everyone equally.
(#20 (permalink))
Old
Housetek (Offline)
is a big dork

Send a message via AIM to Housetek Send a message via MSN to Housetek Send a message via Skype™ to Housetek
03-16-2008, 06:45 AM

sit in non smoking..

most places will have different levels for smokers and non smokers and not just lil dividers.

PLENTY of places to eat in japan. you will find non smoking places.

MR.JF & Jf God
heres a personal Ty to all who voted and participated http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ER8CsVuTNY

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=housetek
please check out the videos and subscribe!

feel free to pm/aim/msn me for any Q's on Japan

Last edited by Housetek : 03-16-2008 at 06:51 AM.