JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Omaki (Offline)
New to JF

Smoking in Japan? - 03-15-2008, 08:56 AM

I've read that the Japanese love to smoke especially in restaurants. I have asthma, so will this be a major problem for me when I go visit?
(#2 (permalink))
Old
samurai007 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

03-15-2008, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaki View Post
I've read that the Japanese love to smoke especially in restaurants. I have asthma, so will this be a major problem for me when I go visit?
There is a LOT of smoking in Japan. It was a pretty big difference from California, where public smoking in most places is prohibited. I didn't like it, but I didn't have asthma... that'd be even worse. If you stay away from bars, that'll help, but they smoke even in restaurants, school offices, etc. You might try eating in restaurants during off-peak hours so there are fewer people, making it easier to avoid the smokers. Also, pick up food at a grocery store, bakery, etc and eat in a park or your hotel room. Temples will often have incense burning... if that bothers you too, avoid them.

JET Program, 1996-98, Wakayama-ken, Hashimoto-shi

Link to pictures from my time in Japan
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Gaberdeen (Offline)
僕の名前わGaryです

03-15-2008, 09:44 AM

I agree 100%.

Smoking in Japan is incredibly widespread - a factor influenced by the Governments heavy involvment in the Tobacco industry (an industry it held a monopoly on until 1987)

Recent anomalies in the governments healthcare system has drawn attention to Mita Hospitals alleged involvment with the JTI - & a subsequent High Court case in Japan was also thrown out by the sitting judge regarding smoking related ilnesses.

Clearly, smoking is a vital part of modern-day japanese culture and economy and it shows no signs of stopping anytime soon.

(#4 (permalink))
Old
Nagoyankee (Offline)
中庸を得るのだ~

03-15-2008, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samurai007 View Post
There is a LOT of smoking in Japan. It was a pretty big difference from California, where public smoking in most places is prohibited. I didn't like it, but I didn't have asthma... that'd be even worse. If you stay away from bars, that'll help, but they smoke even in restaurants, school offices, etc. You might try eating in restaurants during off-peak hours so there are fewer people, making it easier to avoid the smokers. Also, pick up food at a grocery store, bakery, etc and eat in a park or your hotel room. Temples will often have incense burning... if that bothers you too, avoid them.
That's an interesting opinion from the U.S.A., the world's leading producer of tabacco.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
tommasi (Offline)
West Tokyo Native

03-15-2008, 10:08 AM

Yes but it's actually changing now. Most places almost prohibit smoking inside and compare to how it was few years ago, many restaurants are becoming more smoke free.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
chachava (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via MSN to chachava
03-15-2008, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommasi View Post
Yes but it's actually changing now. Most places almost prohibit smoking inside and compare to how it was few years ago, many restaurants are becoming more smoke free.
where are these places? I have been here a year now and haven't seen a single one in Tokyo or Yokohama...
(#7 (permalink))
Old
UNaruto1990 (Offline)
JF Regular

03-15-2008, 10:54 AM

I think Japan should start prohibit smoking in most places, considering Japan already has one of the longest life spans in the world, prohibiting somking would make their life spans even longer.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
LolitaLover (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via MSN to LolitaLover
03-15-2008, 11:05 AM

i have cronic asthma and i smoke stupid yeah but eh ull live but go through a couple of puffers

Forum Family:
Most Beautiful girl in the world:Juno!
Little Brother (He likes to poke people!):Auran!
Sister That Stole My Teddy:Joanna!
Little Sister That Stole My Ice Cream:LuLu!
Juno's Evil Twin Sister:ItalianLeather!
The Crazy Maid:Kiyuga!

life's like a box of chocolates all the good shit is already taken
(#9 (permalink))
Old
aikochan86 (Offline)
JF Regular

03-15-2008, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNaruto1990 View Post
I think Japan should start prohibit smoking in most places, considering Japan already has one of the longest life spans in the world, prohibiting somking would make their life spans even longer.
Interesting point... Maybe they're meant to live to 200 or something!
(#10 (permalink))
Old
Tyrien (Offline)
I'm e-vincible.

03-15-2008, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagoyankee View Post
That's an interesting opinion from the U.S.A., the world's leading producer of tabacco.
Because being a US citizen automatically makes her all americans and means she loves tobacco, right?

Tyrien.DeviantArt~
As of 08/11/2008 5:33 PM Eastern Standard time I now officially own:
Miyavi, Kyo, Yuusuke, Maya, Gou, Aki, Aoi, Jun, Yusa, Jui, Key, Heechul, Yesung, Riku, Kei, Jyou, Satoshi, Takeru, Sin, Teddyloid, ♀Yooh♂, Reo, Tomoya, Tatsuro, Hitsugi, Kyoharu, Takanori Nishikawa, Jay Chou, Hirokai, Die, Kaoru, Shinya, and Toshiya.