JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
sugoiaisukurimudesu (Offline)
New to JF

A year of preparation for Japan - 03-28-2008, 03:58 PM

My boyfriend and I are going to Japan next year (June 2009) and I was wondering if anyone had any tips of how to prepare (other than money) for the visit. Any obscure phrases that would have helped knowing or any item that you wish you would have brought or hotel you wish you would have stayed at or when to buy tickets for the best price? Maybe a place you wish you could have visited.
I know it's kind of early to plan, but I'd like to get a checklist ready. I'm also planning on being fluent by then, or at least very functional.
We're planning on going to Tokyo for a week, but I really want to visit Kyoto and Osaka (The Osakan accent is so こーこい!)

さよならって言えなかった事、いつか許してね。同じ夢 を生きられないけど、ずっと見守ってるから。
Feel free to correct me
(#2 (permalink))
Old
billysweird (Offline)
JF Regular

03-28-2008, 04:03 PM

well, if your planning for a year i suggest finding a job and apartments lol. Look up the Japanese association for working holiday makers they pretty much provide both of those things if u apply with them as soon as you go over there. And its a government foundation so it can be trusted.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
New to JF

03-28-2008, 04:04 PM

Just to clarify, I'm going to Japan in a year, but I'll stay for a week.

Feel free to correct me
(#4 (permalink))
Old
billysweird (Offline)
JF Regular

03-28-2008, 04:10 PM

Ah...i see....lol! umm....thats not gunna be enough time to do much but still just rampage lol figure out the train/subway system ASAP and also get some details on tourist spots and fashion district nice food areas that kind of thing. It's not hard to find when ur over there. Me and my m8 decided we wanted to goto japan off random impulse and left like a week later with only $3k in pocket for each of us to last a month and we pretty much lived like kings most of the time. Just look for info booths and internet cafes best sources of information. But i suggest staying longer then a week....thats definitly not enough 1 month wasnt enough for me so im now gunna stay a year lol. btw sorry not in a thinking mood atm its 3 am over here
(#5 (permalink))
Old
samurai007 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

03-28-2008, 04:53 PM

The biggest expense is flying over there... if at all possible, stay longer than a week so that you get your money's worth from the tickets.

As for preparation, I'd suggest buying the Lonely Planet Japan guide and start looking through it. The book was a great resource for me, showed me tons of places to go and things to do that I might never have known about otherwise.

JET Program, 1996-98, Wakayama-ken, Hashimoto-shi

Link to pictures from my time in Japan
(#6 (permalink))
Old
billysweird (Offline)
JF Regular

03-28-2008, 05:07 PM

yeh and the lonely planet phrase book if ur not good at japanese :P they're both good
(#7 (permalink))
Old
New to JF

03-28-2008, 05:14 PM

;3 thanks!

I have the lonely planet book! I really like it! I also have "Japanese at a Glance" which is very good too! I think that was a very good suggestion to learn the train routes and study the areas we will visit ^^ A week might be all we can do But I'm sure we'll have a better idea closer to when we leave. I agree that a week isn't enough, but with work vacation only one week a year it may be difficult. He may not be working in the same job at that time.

Feel free to correct me
(#8 (permalink))
Old
killrb323 (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via MSN to killrb323 Send a message via Skype™ to killrb323
04-02-2008, 04:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samurai007 View Post
The biggest expense is flying over there... if at all possible, stay longer than a week so that you get your money's worth from the tickets.

As for preparation, I'd suggest buying the Lonely Planet Japan guide and start looking through it. The book was a great resource for me, showed me tons of places to go and things to do that I might never have known about otherwise.
Flying is expensive, but in looking into my own trip in about two years(for about a month) I found a neat little secret. Japan Airlines(I think that was the name).

I could only look a year in advance, but it showed that I could get from greensboro, nc(my closest airport) to tokyo for about $700 a person, after fees!

My jaw dropped to the floor after I realized I wasn't overlooking a zero! Also, this was buisiness class, not coach No first class was available for that week.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

04-02-2008, 06:04 PM

Check to see if you can find an IACE travel agent in your local area. They are a Japanese touring agency who does all the promotion, you can probably find a really cheap flight or cheap tour package

A week is rather short, but should be enough for a Tokyo stay, I would stay in Tokyo for 5 days and try to spend 2 days in Kyoto/Nara
(#10 (permalink))
Old
SSJup81 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to SSJup81 Send a message via AIM to SSJup81 Send a message via MSN to SSJup81 Send a message via Yahoo to SSJup81 Send a message via Skype™ to SSJup81
04-03-2008, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by killrb323 View Post
Flying is expensive, but in looking into my own trip in about two years(for about a month) I found a neat little secret. Japan Airlines(I think that was the name).

I could only look a year in advance, but it showed that I could get from greensboro, nc(my closest airport) to tokyo for about $700 a person, after fees!

My jaw dropped to the floor after I realized I wasn't overlooking a zero! Also, this was buisiness class, not coach No first class was available for that week.
I'm still trying to figure that out. I put in something random, and got this...

1 adult(s) x (10,373.00 + 470.56) = 10,843.56 USD

I couldn't put it in for a year in advance. It kept going back to 2008. I put in for a month long trip just to see what I'd get if departing from RIC and that's what it came to.

How in the world did you manage to get a price of $700 with business class? Did you choose one-way or round trip? Did you go to travelocity or something?

Last edited by SSJup81 : 04-03-2008 at 11:17 PM.