JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
iammako3 (Offline)
New to JF

Not the normal "going alone" question - 05-02-2008, 06:05 PM

Straight to the point: is it awkward for a foreigner to be travelling alone in Tokyo/Kyoto/Osaka (the three places I plan on visiting)?

Story time: My friend who was suppossed to go with me bailed out and I decided to go on my own anyway. I'm a 24 year old female, but to be honest I'm not concerned about the "dangers" of being a lone female in Japan. I know there is always a chance something could happen, but I also know Japan is one of the safest places in the world.

What I'm really concerned about is if it will look strange for me to be eating out alone or going to Kabuki-za and such alone. Most of the people here talk about going places with friends, so I wasn't sure it it was weird to be alone. (Er, also, I have a digital voice recorder I plan to be speaking into as I travel. . . will that be crazy weird as well? I know not to speak on the trains or on tours, but I mean along the street while I walk should be fine, right?)

I do speak some Japanese (probably low grade school level), so i won't be completly helpless. Also, I will be staying in an apartment in Nakano for the month I'll be there. I appreciate any comments, tips, or help! Thanks!

(PS, anyone know about the Dontsuku Matsuri? I want to go, but I'm not sure what day or what time it is.)
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Raisthlin (Offline)
JF Regular

05-02-2008, 07:00 PM

Im also going alone so this could be helpful for me as well. Im leaving no matter what but in my opinion lonely travelers are frequent in Japan. Just think about all the jets. Ive also read several blogs of lonely travelers in Japan. Some whos been there for months.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Matteinokun (Offline)
JF Regular

Send a message via MSN to Matteinokun Send a message via Yahoo to Matteinokun Send a message via Skype™ to Matteinokun
05-02-2008, 07:26 PM

I'm going there alone too!
from 25 June to 26 July
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Cyclamen (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via MSN to Cyclamen
05-02-2008, 07:59 PM

There are absolutely no problems.
I spent a lot of time alone in Japan in both Kansai and Kanto, and I never got a weird looks. I even spent some time in pubs, izakaya and karaoke completely alone, and never had any problem.
For me, travelling alone is the best way to understand the true reality of a country.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Raisthlin (Offline)
JF Regular

05-02-2008, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclamen View Post
There are absolutely no problems.
I even spent some time in pubs, izakaya and karaoke completely alone, and never had any problem.
ahh thats good. im more oriented toward the "scenic" and cultural Japan but ill make sure to try out some clubs, pubs and izakaya while in tokyo and i was secretely wondering about that.

Last edited by Raisthlin : 05-02-2008 at 08:47 PM.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
samurai007 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-03-2008, 05:02 AM

I traveled alone all over Japan, no problem. You'll get stares for being a foreigner, not for being alone...

JET Program, 1996-98, Wakayama-ken, Hashimoto-shi

Link to pictures from my time in Japan
(#7 (permalink))
Old
SakeSan (Offline)
Astronomer

05-03-2008, 12:15 PM

I'm going alone to Japan this summer too.^^

(#8 (permalink))
Old
Raisthlin (Offline)
JF Regular

05-03-2008, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SakeSan View Post
I'm going alone to Japan this summer too.^^
ill be there from may 14 to june 16. i may extend my trip depending... when are your going ?
(#9 (permalink))
Old
Nagoyankee (Offline)
中庸を得るのだ~

05-03-2008, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iammako3 View Post
Straight to the point: is it awkward for a foreigner to be travelling alone in Tokyo/Kyoto/Osaka (the three places I plan on visiting)?

Story time: My friend who was suppossed to go with me bailed out and I decided to go on my own anyway. I'm a 24 year old female, but to be honest I'm not concerned about the "dangers" of being a lone female in Japan. I know there is always a chance something could happen, but I also know Japan is one of the safest places in the world.

What I'm really concerned about is if it will look strange for me to be eating out alone or going to Kabuki-za and such alone. Most of the people here talk about going places with friends, so I wasn't sure it it was weird to be alone. (Er, also, I have a digital voice recorder I plan to be speaking into as I travel. . . will that be crazy weird as well? I know not to speak on the trains or on tours, but I mean along the street while I walk should be fine, right?)

I do speak some Japanese (probably low grade school level), so i won't be completly helpless. Also, I will be staying in an apartment in Nakano for the month I'll be there. I appreciate any comments, tips, or help! Thanks!

(PS, anyone know about the Dontsuku Matsuri? I want to go, but I'm not sure what day or what time it is.)

A lot of people travel alone in Japan, foreigner or Japanese, male or female.
Just remember that you should probably refrain from walking alone on the back streets late at night. The chances are that nothing would happen, but you wouldn't want to take that kind of a risk in a foreign country.

I think you did a great job in choosing Nakano as your base. Unlike Shinjuku, Shibuya, or Ikebukuro, Nakano is largely residential. You will have much quieter nights in Nakano than in many other larger centers in Tokyo.

As for recording your voice, just do it. Tokyoites couldn't care less what you do walking down the street. We won't even notice you unless you do really crazy things.

As for the Dontsuku Matsuri, I believe you're talking about the one in Inatori. If it is, it's held on June 3 and 4. The site I'm looking at doesn't say what time, though.

http://www.inatorionsen.or.jp/dontsuku/

That Matsuri certainly will let you take the best pics that can ever be taken in Japan!
(#10 (permalink))
Old
SakeSan (Offline)
Astronomer

05-04-2008, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raisthlin View Post
ill be there from may 14 to june 16. i may extend my trip depending... when are your going ?
Gomenasai, for not reacting a little quicker on your post.
I'm going to Tokyo the 2nd of July to 10th of July.^^
I will be staying at a hotel in Iidabashi too.
But i also wanted to try going to Kyoto by using Shinkansen.^^

How about you Raisthlin?^^

Last edited by SakeSan : 05-04-2008 at 09:30 AM.