JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Anuda (Offline)
New to JF

What to do in three days in Tokyo - 05-27-2008, 03:33 AM

Hi,

I will be visiting Tokyo for only three days from 21 June to 25June. I am 27 years old female and apart from watching Lost in Translation I do not really know much. This will be my first trip and I have no clue as to what to expect or where to start from.

I guess due to my limited time I would like to make the best out it by experiencing Tokyo's highlights. Can anyone please recommend things that I must not miss in Tokyo?

Apart from day activities like visitng attraction or sighseeing I am also interested in going out and experiencing club/bar culture in Tokyo.

Can anyone please recommend any places that will reflect the true culture of Tokyo ?

Where or what areas would be conviniently located so that I have access to major sighseeing and budget accomdations?

Thanks for your assistance in advance, Look forward for you replies

Anita
(#2 (permalink))
Old
samurai007 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-27-2008, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anuda View Post
Hi,

I will be visiting Tokyo for only three days from 21 June to 25June. I am 27 years old female and apart from watching Lost in Translation I do not really know much. This will be my first trip and I have no clue as to what to expect or where to start from.

I guess due to my limited time I would like to make the best out it by experiencing Tokyo's highlights. Can anyone please recommend things that I must not miss in Tokyo?

Apart from day activities like visitng attraction or sighseeing I am also interested in going out and experiencing club/bar culture in Tokyo.

Can anyone please recommend any places that will reflect the true culture of Tokyo ?

Where or what areas would be conviniently located so that I have access to major sighseeing and budget accomdations?

Thanks for your assistance in advance, Look forward for you replies

Anita
I'm not the clubbing type and I don't drink alcohol, so I can't help you there. But I would suggest taking a day trip to Nikko, it's a very beautiful temple complex 2 hours north of Tokyo. Also, take a walk around the Imperial Gardens to see where the Emperor lives, and maybe visit Tokyo Tower.

JET Program, 1996-98, Wakayama-ken, Hashimoto-shi

Link to pictures from my time in Japan
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Sangetsu (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

05-27-2008, 09:34 AM

Read my reply in the attached thread. You can experience much of Tokyo in 3 days. The Shinagawa Prince Hotel may not be what many in the west consider a "bargain", but you will have a hard time finding a better deal for a well-located room.

Going to Tokyo May 28-June 5
(#4 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

05-27-2008, 12:12 PM

Here are a couple of location you can consider for hotels:

- Ueno
- Shibuya
- Harajuku
- Shinjuku

They are far enough from the Tokyo station area that they don't cost an arm and a leg, but they are close enough on the subway line (15-20 minutes train ride to major attractions)

You should be able to find plenty of business hotels for a low price. I am not sure what kind of budget you are working with, but MOST business hotles run from US$35 a night. Ryokan (Traditional Hotel) can be as cheap as $60 a night if you are willing to walk a little from major station.

As far as tourist attractions are concern, try spending a day at Shinjuku/Shibuya/Harajuku (Meji Shrine), here you can do most of your shopping. Half a day at Sensoji Temple, half a day at the Daiba.

Hang around Shibuya and Shinjuku at night for your clubs and bar scene. Roppongi hills are also great except that its pricey.

The Tokyo Tower is not too much of an attraction, there isn't much to see, but you can definitely visit their souvenir lounge for free and get some souvenir or info related to the tower.

Akihabara is also a good place to spend half a day if you are into animate and manga, its more active over the weekend though...

good luck and have a fun safe trip, let us know if you need more pointers in anything specific....