JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
Tsuwabuki (Offline)
石路 美蔓

02-28-2009, 07:12 AM

Because I'm an American with a degree in English, with education experience both in a foreign country and my home country, who is much less likely to be UA on the date of arrival? I was no less easy than someone who lived in Tokyo and needed a visa.
(#12 (permalink))
Old
alanX (Offline)
The Psychedelic Traveler

Send a message via Skype™ to alanX
02-28-2009, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsuwabuki View Post
Because I'm an American with a degree in English, with education experience both in a foreign country and my home country, who is much less likely to be UA on the date of arrival? I was no less easy than someone who lived in Tokyo and needed a visa.
"I was no less easy"

Hm......how strange.

猿も木から落ちる
(#13 (permalink))
Old
Tsuwabuki (Offline)
石路 美蔓

02-28-2009, 07:22 AM

Not strange at all.

They needed someone of my qualifications by a certain date. I met those qualifications and could be in Japan by that certain date.

What could possibly be considered strange about normal business practices?

O_o
(#14 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
02-28-2009, 07:33 AM

Someone in Korea without a valid Japanese working visa is no different than someone staying in the hotel next door on a tourist visa. You still have to do the exact same thing to hire them. There is no particular disadvantage to hiring someone who happens to be in Korea at the time - and in this case an advantage as all the qualifications were there.

You don`t need to speak Japanese to teach English in Japan. I`d even say that it`s to your advantage NOT to - as a lot of places don`t want to risk you speaking to the students in Japanese rather than 100% English.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#15 (permalink))
Old
SSJup81 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to SSJup81 Send a message via AIM to SSJup81 Send a message via MSN to SSJup81 Send a message via Yahoo to SSJup81 Send a message via Skype™ to SSJup81
02-28-2009, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by domoyoroshikune View Post
should i get a quick community college degree?
No, because you need a Bachelor's for Visa requirements. You can get a degree through a Community College (two-year) and the transfer over to a University for two years to get your Bachelor's.
(#16 (permalink))
Old
Tsuwabuki (Offline)
石路 美蔓

02-28-2009, 08:17 AM

Everything Nyororin said is basically what I thought was understood about normal business practices in other countries. Perhaps I should have been clearer...

...and in any case, I did speak conversational Japanese. As I said, I had become interested in it as a second language ten years ago. But really, it was a non-qualification. If I hadn't spoken any at all, it wouldn't have mattered. What they needed was someone with the right qualifications. That person was me. And I was in Korea. End of story.
(#17 (permalink))
Old
alanX (Offline)
The Psychedelic Traveler

02-28-2009, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsuwabuki View Post
Not strange at all.

They needed someone of my qualifications by a certain date. I met those qualifications and could be in Japan by that certain date.

What could possibly be considered strange about normal business practices?

O_o
I meant the actual sentence. It doesn't seem like proper English sentence to me, especially coming from an "English teacher."

But whatever, I'm not trying to start any fights.

猿も木から落ちる
(#18 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

02-28-2009, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by domoyoroshikune View Post
What's the easiest and cheapest way to move to Japan for a period of at least one year???

Plz help
Buy a round trip plane ticket for under 90 days. Go to Japan. Toss your plane ticket in the garbage. Find a cardboard box. That is your new home. Hang out and be homeless until you are deported.
(#19 (permalink))
Old
alanX (Offline)
The Psychedelic Traveler

02-28-2009, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
Buy a round trip plane ticket for under 90 days. Go to Japan. Toss your plane ticket in the garbage. Find a cardboard box. That is your new home. Hang out and be homeless until you are deported.
Have I ever told you I loved you?

Anyways....

I think I'll actually do this too. I mean, homeless in Japan must be hella fun.

(Obviously I'm kidding.)

猿も木から落ちる
(#20 (permalink))
Old
Tsuwabuki (Offline)
石路 美蔓

03-01-2009, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanX View Post
I meant the actual sentence. It doesn't seem like proper English sentence to me, especially coming from an "English teacher."

But whatever, I'm not trying to start any fights.
I didn't think you were trying to start any "fights."

And trust me, I went to school to become an English teacher in my home country. Which would be the US. So whatever your feelings are about whether or not ALTs are actual teachers, and arguments go both ways, I could teach in the US, I just make more here, surprising as that often is to people.

And "no less easy" just means the same as "not harder." Nothing was grammatically wrong about what I had written. We could argue about style until we're blue in the face though. That changes from generation to generation, and even person to person.