JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#21 (permalink))
Old
Fiveofus (Offline)
New to JF

09-15-2009, 03:14 AM

I think you will find you need the 7 days in Kyushu. Once you get onto local trains travel is slower but JR has lovely old special tourist trains that run around these areas. We had 2 nights in Aso and wished we had another as there are wonderful full day activities out of Aso. Fukuoka needs at least 2 nights but 3 would be better to have time to explore nearby temples, eat near the river and get to the beachfront area. Shopping is good there too. I was a bit put off by the glitzy image of Beppu but it was inexpensive and fun.

If you decide to leave Kyushu and break the journey back to Tokyo Hiroshima (big 1/2 day) and Himeji (1/2 day) are worthwhile and both have a lot of cheap accommodation.
(#22 (permalink))
Old
BloodStone003 (Offline)
New to JF

09-21-2009, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiveofus View Post
I think you will find you need the 7 days in Kyushu. Once you get onto local trains travel is slower but JR has lovely old special tourist trains that run around these areas. We had 2 nights in Aso and wished we had another as there are wonderful full day activities out of Aso. Fukuoka needs at least 2 nights but 3 would be better to have time to explore nearby temples, eat near the river and get to the beachfront area. Shopping is good there too. I was a bit put off by the glitzy image of Beppu but it was inexpensive and fun.

If you decide to leave Kyushu and break the journey back to Tokyo Hiroshima (big 1/2 day) and Himeji (1/2 day) are worthwhile and both have a lot of cheap accommodation.
Thanks for the recommendations. However, I didn't get a chance to go to Fukuoka at all since it was a bit out of the way and the ppl I was suppose to meet there weren't available. I did, however, visited Hiroshima today. I only spend half a day there since I was basing myself out of Osaka so I had to get back.

I'm heading to Yokohama tomorrow, anyone have any suggestions on things to do in Yokohama? I'll probably also spend a couple days back in Tokyo as well since I didn't visit Shibuya or Harajuku. Anyhow, any suggestions/advice for either area are welcome. Thanks in advance.

David