JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
08-24-2009, 12:47 PM

I think it GREATLY depends on what you want to see.
Japan consists of almost entirely of mountains, seaside areas, cities, and a mixture of those three. Unless there is something specific you want to see in each city, hopping from one city to another is not going to give you a very balanced trip. In the end, most cities are quite similar. If you`re looking to see Japanese city life, then it is fine... But I`d personally go for a wider variety. Sticking with city tourist spots is going to get old pretty quickly, in my opinion, as it`s going to be temple, shrine, something different, temple, shrine, wash and repeat in most places.

If you want to really "experience" the country, and not go from one full-of-tourists spot to the next... Look somewhere off the beaten path of Tokyo, Osaka, Kyoto, and the like. There are lots of great areas that you won`t have to wade through sweaty crowds to enjoy.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#12 (permalink))
Old
BloodStone003 (Offline)
New to JF

08-24-2009, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by godwine View Post
7 days in Kyushu area seems a bit much. Will you be making side trips to city like Hiroshima, Himeji and such?
Yes, I'll be traveling to other cities during that time such as Hiroshima, Himeji, etc. in the area. I'll be honest when I say I'm not sure what to expect from Japan so I'm just going to wander and see where it takes me . If you have any suggestions on where else to go, that be great too. Thanks once again.
(#13 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

08-24-2009, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodStone003 View Post
Yes, I'll be traveling to other cities during that time such as Hiroshima, Himeji, etc. in the area. I'll be honest when I say I'm not sure what to expect from Japan so I'm just going to wander and see where it takes me . If you have any suggestions on where else to go, that be great too. Thanks once again.
Hmm, you better have a really good map and can a good dictionary, I won't recommend just "wandering off" anywhere

Why not spend just 4 days in Kyushu and base yourself in Osaka?
(#14 (permalink))
Old
BloodStone003 (Offline)
New to JF

08-31-2009, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Hmm, you better have a really good map and can a good dictionary, I won't recommend just "wandering off" anywhere

Why not spend just 4 days in Kyushu and base yourself in Osaka?
I wasn't playing to just wonder, but pick cities to visit here and there that might be interesting based on other ppl's recommendation.

That's not a bad idea, being base in the Kyushu area then going from there. Thanks!

You aren't by chance in Japan are you?
(#15 (permalink))
Old
JBaymore (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-31-2009, 11:55 AM

Bloodstone003,

Just returned from 2 months there.

The JapanRail Pass is a fantastic deal IF you are planning on traveling long distances a bunch. To see if the "payback" is there, go to the Hyperdia site and load in a few of the travel plans you have. ( Enter the station name ) The fares for those trips will show. Compare the costs to the cost of the Railpass. Then you can decide if a one week, two week, or three week one makes sense for you.

The above comment about "spending your life on trains" is a VERY true one. The shinkansen trains themselves are certainly VERY fast....... but there is a lot of time used in getting from station to station, platform to platform, and waiting for the trains themselves to assure connections. Local trains have even more of this factor because they themselves are slower. Planning in advance helps a lot with this factor to be efficient in the use of travel time.

One place that is not too far from Tokyo that is pretty amazing...and has a LOT to see in the "hiking" category......, is Nikko, in Tochigi-ken. The shrines and temples there classify as a "World Heritige Site". The mountainous landscape is beautiful. There are tons of trails. Don't miss walking along the river thru the gorge with the Jizo statues (it is on the local "tourist" maps) to the southwest side of town. The downside is that Nikko is a MAJOR tourist attraction and close to Tokyo, so it can get crowded at times. Go on a rainy period...... it is still beautiful...and the crowds disappear.

Check out the Chichibu area to the southwest of Tokyo. A lot of history there, and still some what is left of the "old" Japan has its last vestiges there.

Try to get to a real onsen at least once. It is a VERY "Japanese" experience. There are many all over Japan, thanks to the volcanic nature of the islands. Day visits are generally actually rather cheap; it is more expensive to stay at one.... but not absurdly at most.

If you are an "adventurous eater", try to eat at little "hole in the wall" places that the locals use. If you don't have the language skills, it might be a bnit "interesting" sometimes to get your food...... but generally the food will be fantastic. And WAY cheaper than at more "tourist" oriented places. And more truly "Japanese".

Also, take a couple of friends and hit small izakaya (little bar/eating establishments that seat maybe 10 to 20 people) in the evening for Nihonshu (sake) or bieru (beer) and some FANTASTIC bar food. Another truly "Japanese" experience.

Head for the prefectures and cities that the tourist brochures DON'T tend to list. Harder to plan and schedule, but you'll see more of the "real" Japan.

Gotta' go.

best,

..............john
(#16 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

08-31-2009, 12:22 PM

Quote:
I wasn't playing to just wonder, but pick cities to visit here and there that might be interesting based on other ppl's recommendation.

That's not a bad idea, being base in the Kyushu area then going from there. Thanks!

You aren't by chance in Japan are you?
Nope, not currently, will be there on October 23-Nov 13... then again sometime next April and August....
(#17 (permalink))
Old
kaeru (Offline)
New to JF

09-08-2009, 04:03 AM

Fukuoka is great that time of year. Dazaifu will be full of nice autumn flowers still.

Oh and not too many foreign toursists know about Yufuin, a few hours from Fukuoka, so its good to check that out too.
(#18 (permalink))
Old
BloodStone003 (Offline)
New to JF

09-09-2009, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBaymore View Post
Bloodstone003,

Just returned from 2 months there.

The JapanRail Pass is a fantastic deal IF you are planning on traveling long distances a bunch. To see if the "payback" is there, go to the Hyperdia site and load in a few of the travel plans you have. ( Enter the station name ) The fares for those trips will show. Compare the costs to the cost of the Railpass. Then you can decide if a one week, two week, or three week one makes sense for you.

The above comment about "spending your life on trains" is a VERY true one. The shinkansen trains themselves are certainly VERY fast....... but there is a lot of time used in getting from station to station, platform to platform, and waiting for the trains themselves to assure connections. Local trains have even more of this factor because they themselves are slower. Planning in advance helps a lot with this factor to be efficient in the use of travel time.

One place that is not too far from Tokyo that is pretty amazing...and has a LOT to see in the "hiking" category......, is Nikko, in Tochigi-ken. The shrines and temples there classify as a "World Heritige Site". The mountainous landscape is beautiful. There are tons of trails. Don't miss walking along the river thru the gorge with the Jizo statues (it is on the local "tourist" maps) to the southwest side of town. The downside is that Nikko is a MAJOR tourist attraction and close to Tokyo, so it can get crowded at times. Go on a rainy period...... it is still beautiful...and the crowds disappear.

Check out the Chichibu area to the southwest of Tokyo. A lot of history there, and still some what is left of the "old" Japan has its last vestiges there.

Try to get to a real onsen at least once. It is a VERY "Japanese" experience. There are many all over Japan, thanks to the volcanic nature of the islands. Day visits are generally actually rather cheap; it is more expensive to stay at one.... but not absurdly at most.

If you are an "adventurous eater", try to eat at little "hole in the wall" places that the locals use. If you don't have the language skills, it might be a bnit "interesting" sometimes to get your food...... but generally the food will be fantastic. And WAY cheaper than at more "tourist" oriented places. And more truly "Japanese".

Also, take a couple of friends and hit small izakaya (little bar/eating establishments that seat maybe 10 to 20 people) in the evening for Nihonshu (sake) or bieru (beer) and some FANTASTIC bar food. Another truly "Japanese" experience.

Head for the prefectures and cities that the tourist brochures DON'T tend to list. Harder to plan and schedule, but you'll see more of the "real" Japan.

Gotta' go.

best,

..............john
Thanks for all the great info./advice. I am in Japan right now; was in Tokyo for 2 days and then came to Osaka. I already bought the JR Rail Pass for 14 days so I will try to get as much use out of it as possible.

I agree w/ the statement about spending your life on trains; it seems everyone is either walking towards a station or leaving one. The train system is nice but it seems a bit overly complicated; I managed to figure it out after getting lost a few times, hehe.

I will have to definitely check out those places when I return to Tokyo (well Yokahama specifically). I am willing to try most things, but I have been walking around so much my feet are killing me. I will have to check out a hole in the wall one of these days. As far as drinking goes, I am here by myself and I particularly like drinking alone, maybe I can ask a cute Japanese chic to join me . (By the way, anyone have any advice on what I can say to a cute Japanese chic walking on the streets to join me that won^t get me slapped?)

Anyhow, got any advice on where to go in Osaka other than the castle?

Thanks!
(#19 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

09-09-2009, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Thanks for all the great info./advice. I am in Japan right now; was in Tokyo for 2 days and then came to Osaka. I already bought the JR Rail Pass for 14 days so I will try to get as much use out of it as possible.

I agree w/ the statement about spending your life on trains; it seems everyone is either walking towards a station or leaving one. The train system is nice but it seems a bit overly complicated; I managed to figure it out after getting lost a few times, hehe.

I will have to definitely check out those places when I return to Tokyo (well Yokahama specifically). I am willing to try most things, but I have been walking around so much my feet are killing me. I will have to check out a hole in the wall one of these days. As far as drinking goes, I am here by myself and I particularly like drinking alone, maybe I can ask a cute Japanese chic to join me . (By the way, anyone have any advice on what I can say to a cute Japanese chic walking on the streets to join me that won^t get me slapped?)

Anyhow, got any advice on where to go in Osaka other than the castle?

Thanks!
Namba and Dotonbori for your nightlife, food and shopping. There is a gian aquarium south around the port area. You can take the Namba train to Awaza, then change to Osakako. The aquarium is within walking distance from Osakako station. Den Den town is like Akiba in Tokyo.

Try taking a side trip to Kobe if you have the time, there isn't much to see (The port area is nice), but food is good
(#20 (permalink))
Old
BloodStone003 (Offline)
New to JF

09-10-2009, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Namba and Dotonbori for your nightlife, food and shopping. There is a gian aquarium south around the port area. You can take the Namba train to Awaza, then change to Osakako. The aquarium is within walking distance from Osakako station. Den Den town is like Akiba in Tokyo.

Try taking a side trip to Kobe if you have the time, there isn't much to see (The port area is nice), but food is good
Thanks for the suggestions. I will definitely have to check those places out. Den Den sounds interesting since I like anime and such. I will definitely try to go to Kobe before I leave.

I have found that there are places to rent bicycles and that beats walking everywhere; my feet are done! Biking is so much easier and a lot fast if you are trying to get somewhere.

Anyhow, thanks!