JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
nicoletta (Offline)
New to JF

Another Overly Ambitious Itinerary? - 02-26-2010, 06:01 PM

I will be in Japan with my husband and 8-year-old daughter, March 27-April 10. We plan to activate our 7-day JR passes on March 30. Can you please comment on the Kyoto portion of our trip?

3/30: Tokyo-Himeji-Kyoto (check in @3pm) Kinkakuji in afternoon?
3/31: Walking tour Higashiyama, Kiyomizudera (10-3ish). Arashiyama in afternoon?
4/1: Nara, Uji, and/or Fushimi Inari (?) Help!
4/2: Shijo,Nishiki shopping, Miyako Odori show noon-ish. Nijo castle at night pics. (also need to squeeze in dinner in Osaka
4/3: check-out

Yes, an overly ambitious plan...your thoughts are appreciated. I have read through many posts, and this has been quite helpful in our planning. So, thank you to all!

Nicoletta
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Sashimister (Offline)
他力本願

02-27-2010, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicoletta View Post
I will be in Japan with my husband and 8-year-old daughter, March 27-April 10. We plan to activate our 7-day JR passes on March 30. Can you please comment on the Kyoto portion of our trip?

3/31: Walking tour Higashiyama, Kiyomizudera (10-3ish). Arashiyama in afternoon?
4/2: Shijo,Nishiki shopping, Miyako Odori show noon-ish. Nijo castle at night pics. (also need to squeeze in dinner in Osaka

Yes, an overly ambitious plan...your thoughts are appreciated. I have read through many posts, and this has been quite helpful in our planning. So, thank you to all!

Nicoletta
I personally don't think this is an overly ambitious plan. It looks just good and feasible.

On 4/3, are you flying out from Osaka? If so, I think you may be wasting money by using a pass.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Tsuwabuki (Offline)
石路 美蔓

02-27-2010, 09:27 AM

Can be done.

I did Nara in six hours.

<- AnimeMusicVideos.Org
(#4 (permalink))
Old
nicoletta (Offline)
New to JF

02-27-2010, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sashimister View Post
I personally don't think this is an overly ambitious plan. It looks just good and feasible.

On 4/3, are you flying out from Osaka? If so, I think you may be wasting money by using a pass.
No, we are heading to Takayama, Magome, then on to Tokyo by 4/5.

Thanks for your response!
Nicoletta
(#5 (permalink))
Old
nicoletta (Offline)
New to JF

02-27-2010, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsuwabuki View Post
Can be done.

I did Nara in six hours.
What if we spent @2 hours at Nara and then Uji for lunch?
Could we go on to Fushimi Inari? That way we spend @ 2-3 hours in each place (grab some food in between).

Hyperdia is not showing a direct stop betwen Uji and Fushimi on the JR Nara line.

Thanks!
Nicoletta
(#6 (permalink))
Old
Sashimister (Offline)
他力本願

02-27-2010, 12:29 PM

Quote:
What if we spent @2 hours at Nara and then Uji for lunch?
Could we go on to Fushimi Inari? That way we spend @ 2-3 hours in each place (grab some food in between).

Hyperdia is not showing a direct stop betwen Uji and Fushimi on the JR Nara line.
All is possible assuming that you are staying in Kyoto during this part of your trip.

You will be passing Fushimi Inari on your way from Uji to Kyoto even if you don't want to.

If I'm not mistaken, Hyperdia does you no good unless you know the actual station names. Googling in Japanese is the best way to go and I don't mind doing it for you in the planning.

Uji ------> Inari (this is the station name for Fushimi Inari)
16 minutes on JR Nara Line
(#7 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

02-27-2010, 04:16 PM

Quote:

Nicoletta

What does this mean?
(#8 (permalink))
Old
nicoletta (Offline)
New to JF

02-27-2010, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post

What does this mean?
Hi, MMM~

Sorry, my bad. It meant see Himeji Castle, get back to Kyoto by 3, then go see Kinkakuji Temple. Which I now see will be closed by the time I get there.

Nicoletta
(#9 (permalink))
Old
nicoletta (Offline)
New to JF

02-27-2010, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sashimister View Post
All is possible assuming that you are staying in Kyoto during this part of your trip.

You will be passing Fushimi Inari on your way from Uji to Kyoto even if you don't want to.

If I'm not mistaken, Hyperdia does you no good unless you know the actual station names. Googling in Japanese is the best way to go and I don't mind doing it for you in the planning.

Uji ------> Inari (this is the station name for Fushimi Inari)
16 minutes on JR Nara Line
Thanks, Sashimister. Yes, I am staying in Kyoto for this part of my trip near Gojo-dori. I think Fushimi Inari will not be possible after going to Nara, then on to Uji, all in one day.

I appreciate the input!
Nicoletta
(#10 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

02-27-2010, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Hi, MMM~

Sorry, my bad. It meant see Himeji Castle, get back to Kyoto by 3, then go see Kinkakuji Temple. Which I now see will be closed by the time I get there.

Nicoletta
I am not sure what time you are arriving at Narita, but let me say it is a little insane to think you can go from Narita (which is not in Tokyo) to Tokyo to Himeji (about 4 hours) then see Himeji castle and then turn around and go back to Kyoto and see anything.

If you are staying in Kyoto the first day, I recommend

1) arrive in Narita
2) go to Tokyo
3) get on bullet train to Kyoto
4) go to hotel in Kyoto

if there is time and you have the energy you can then go to Kinkakuji.